Archery shot placement

Shooting, on #4.... here’s where I’d aim.

b8d9bc9ff3a64de52261cd11e7d64616.jpg

Thanks for the constructive criticism on my aiming point for #3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RaggedHunter
Scenario: You've been trying to get ahead of this bull all morning. You catch up to him here and he is at 63 yards. Bull is probably not standing still for long, he's been at a consistent slow walk. What are you going to do here? You shooting or passing?
ElkD6.jpg

Savage99

WKR
Scenario: You've been trying to get ahead of this bull all morning. You catch up to him here and he is at 63 yards. Bull is probably not standing still for long, he's been at a consistent slow walk. What are you going to do here? You shooting or passing?
View attachment 117728

#5 Pass, not quite the right angle for a Texas heart shot

Seriously though, that distance is beyond what I’m comfortable with.

#5 I’d pass, angle is ok.... but the combination of angle, distance, and the fact he’s walking make it a no go.

How about this shot (watch at 4 minute mark)?

75 yards.

Perfect shot or a little too much elbow? Dead elk either way obviously.

Beendare

WKR
I think a guy has to be careful shooting behind the shoulder on a hard quartering shot. Heres a pic from above showing an appx 45 degree angle with the arrow clearing the shoulder in front....essentially you risk getting one lung and guts....maybe the femoral artery. And of course with a mech head you risk deflection. Hard quartering shot small file.gif

IdahoHntr

WKR
I think a guy has to be careful shooting behind the shoulder on a hard quartering shot. Heres a pic from above showing an appx 45 degree angle with the arrow clearing the shoulder in front....essentially you risk getting one lung and guts....maybe the femoral artery. And of course with a mech head you risk deflection. View attachment 117846

I think most people are hugging the shoulder a lot closer than that on a quartering to shot as well as elk have a whole lot more lungs back there than a whitetail. Especially on the quartering to angle posted I really don't think going behind the shoulder is that risky. Just hug the shoulder and it's an easy double lung and short blood trail. Definitely don't put it where you would on a broadside shot though like the diagram above or you will miss that 2nd lung.

I think a guy has to be careful shooting behind the shoulder on a hard quartering shot. Heres a pic from above showing an appx 45 degree angle with the arrow clearing the shoulder in front....essentially you risk getting one lung and guts....maybe the femoral artery. And of course with a mech head you risk deflection. View attachment 117846

I think thats a good diagram for people to see. As I said before it's a narrow window. Probably about 5". But move that line forward and you get heart and both lungs.

View attachment 117728

I'm shooting. I can't put a point on the picture with my phone. But at that angle I'd aim at the back top of that brown triangle above the dark belly hair. I doubt the arrow would exit as it's going to burry into the opposite shoulder socket. But a heart shot puts them down quick and snow on the ground makes for an easy track job.

d40945ca5743023ae81aa9bb79d4b222.jpg

At 23 yards, he would drop like a bag of hammers

I wouldn't take the eye shot. If you are off by a small margin you wounded that animal. Or possibly killed it in 2 weeks after it starved from not being able to eat from the infection and inflammation caused around the nasal cavity. Of course if you hit left you only made it deaf in one ear.

On the hard angle shot like #5 I would be worried about a rib cage deflection. If I could get to the left of the tree and stop him with a cow call maybe. But depends on wind conditions for a 60yrd.

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
True that some BH's just perform better on these angled shots.

This bull isn't quartering quite as bad as my red line example...but yeah that angle gives you less leeway.

Personally, most of the bad things I've seen happen on elk have been with a 'quartering to' shot behind the shoulder.

The amount of angle is very difficult to judge in the heat of the moment. I thought this elk was slightly quartering to me and that if I hugged the front shoulder I had plenty room to get both lungs. As you can see from the exit I was wrong. I think the entrance was good. It was just quartering to more than I thought. I know it’s anecdotal but I think my “Ashby” build saved me.
8fe1170091972ddaff885b77b2935e32.jpg
c44739af721c089d3b6453e6ac0df306.jpg