Archery shot placement

#2 I’d pass, at that angle there’s a high likelihood you’re hitting shoulder. On top of that he’s moving and it’s 37 yards. I’d wait and hope he turns to leave and I get a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was already at full draw I'd wait.

If he got that sudden alerted look I'd shoot right about where 5mb put his mark. It wouldn't bother me to be a few inches further back. I have taken that shot before with no issue. But it's a tight margin between the shoulder joint and being 1 lung/liver and stinky. Probably only about 5" wide there. I'd continue to hold and hope that he paused when he hit my wind or either turns straight at me or away a little more. Small bull you might have a 50/50 chance of him freezing for a second when he catches your wind. Older bull I don't know that it's much of a chance of him stopping. I have also learned it's not worth shooting at them walking. Even when they are close they cover a lot more ground than they look. So if he's walking at 37 I'm holding. Inside 25 I'd probably let it go but hold up against the outside edge of the shoulder joint.

OP
RaggedHunter
Great input guys, these are the kind of discussions that I think can benefit us all. A lot of shot angles can be dynamic, and if you don't think about them ahead of time and where you would shoot on slightly varying angles, you may end up learning lessons the hard way. Great input, Lets keep it going.

I have to say on picture #2 my initial thought would have been to aim in front of the shoulder knuckle. But after seeing 5MB's reasoning, and taking a closer look I have to agree, the bull is not quartering to that hard, and where 5MB placed his dot would be my preferred shot placement on that particular angle. Hug the shoulder tight, exit through the back of the far lung, dead bull.

Here's #3
Scenario: You're calling solo, you placed a small ridge between yourself and the bull, forcing him to come over the ridge to see where the calls are coming from. You see his antler tips coming and come to full draw. He steps over the ridge at 23 yards and lets out a bugle. You shooting or Passing?
elkD3.jpg

No hesitation. I have taken that shot. Probably aim about an inch under Ace's spot. Right above the transition line. That's a great heart shot.

OP
RaggedHunter
Scenario: Lead cow winded you and took off the bull started following the cows, you cow called and he stopped to look back. You're at full draw the bull is at 57 yards but wont be sticking around for long. You shooting or passing?
elkD5.jpg

Btaylor

WKR
Scenario: Lead cow winded you and took off the bull started following the cows, you cow called and he stopped to look back. You're at full draw the bull is at 57 yards but wont be sticking around for long. You shooting or passing?
View attachment 117474
60 yard pin at the top of the brown triangle patch in the pocket with compound. Out of my consistent in the killzone range with the longbow but I might try to shoot the cow in the back of the head with a rusty field point.:cool:

Scenario 3 I’m aiming here the jugular is right there and then gives me space each way for a little sway. If you hit right there he isn’t going far
9024d4cebe96c6f6834f23e0e22d9f8a.jpg

Scenario 4 I’m aiming a little forward and lower than I usually do, most times I’ve seen them drop at the shot had this exact scenario happy to a client. He was at 97 yards though when he stopped. And he made the shot video is on YouTube craig Meyer 300” archery
68d48a78c7a13d6115053fc43468bc48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
That location on the front on shot looks low to me. It seems like it’s on the sternum.
Yep, Ace of Spades dot is too low...look at the skeleton of the deer species....that dot puts you shooting through heavy bone.......you want to shoot 6" higher and that arrow goes in effortlessly and disappears....I've seen it many times.

its a little bit counterintuitive on this shot as most times you are better off shooting low on a BS shot.

ndbuck09

WKR

On frontals, I heard it mentioned somewhere that you really want to think about the height in terms of where you would aim on a broadside shot. You don't want to get too low. So Here's my #3 with a line to where I'd aim on broadside, brought over to the frontal.