Archery Target

Hello all,

Just looking for some advice on a archery target. Not trying to spend a lot of money on it but just need something that will stand up to field tips and practice broadheads. Other requirements would that it is not huge. Want to be able to carry it to and from the range with some ease.

Thanks

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using The Block B22 last year and this. Has held up well to field points. Takes a bit of a beating with broadheads, but if you can find a target that doesn't let me know! It also isn't too big or heavy.

I have a rinehart. Hard to pull field tips out of and broad heads can be impossible. Great target but a challenge to use.

Morrel targets are relatively inexpensive. You can find a bag for field tips around $50 and get a broadheads specific one for around the same price. 2 targets, no broadhead wear and tear on one. Sell replacement covers in case your cover gets shot up. Regular sizes aren't huge. But if you have arrows with a collar like vap's or the GT Kinetic Chaos, any bag target is a pain to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... 2 targets, no broadhead wear and tear on one.

if you're going to go this route, I'd recommend making your own field tip target: a cardboard box stuffed with either old t-shirts or the heavy duty plastic wrap that is used for wrapping pallet loads, etc. Google DIY archery target and see what you find. There's probably threads on this site as well. I've gone to these (plastic wrap in a box). They're free and light, and when the box wears out, find a new one. NOT recommended for broadheads.

svivian

WKR
If you're looking for cheap I would build your own. I built mine for about $20 and it has lasted 1000s of shots. Go to any store like Walmart or bestbuy and ask for the plastic wrap they use for pallets of freight they normally throw away after they receive a shipment. Sportsmans warehouse has replacement bags for there bag targets for $15 and stuff as tight as you can with balls of the plastic wrap. Broad heads can be difficult to pull out but field points are a breeze and it will stop any arrow for a long time.

DEW0341

WKR
I got a hips target for 60$ I have approx 2,500 shots into it give or take 100 and it's still going strong

Rinehart is the only target I will buy from here into the near future. Blocks are nice but they don't last with Broadheads. I shoot quite a few Broadheads because that is what matters. I could care less for the most part how field points shoot if my Broadheads don't shoot with them and just as well. I have a rinehart I bought in 2014 summer and I shoot it at least once a week year round with a few hundred arrows. I still have 3 of 6 brand new sides. If I were you I would buy a rinehart woodland block blemished. I like the brown/black contrast much more than the black/ flo yellow to aim at. Merrel targets are a joke. The bags work ok but the broadhead targets you will shoot completely through In a short amount of time. Matrix looks nice but isn't a feasible price.

Rino Block. Use the replaceable core for your broadheads and you'll never where out the rest of it with field points. The core on mine only needs replaced about every 3 years and are only about $40.00.

I don't want to derail the thread but how are you guys pulling broad heads out of a rinehart block? I shoot a 65lb HOYT spider turbo on a 31 inch draw so my arrow is moving pretty good. For distances of 30 yards or less I have to use an arrow puller and half the time I have to stand on the block and pull them out. And that is with field points.

I shoot muzzy trocar 100 broadheads and fear I would never dig them out if I shot my rinehart. I have been doing broadheads training on a cheap bag but it is getting destroyed.

Broadheads pull much much easier than fileld points from rinehart targets. Once you shoot field points into the target a few hundred times it loosens up enough they aren't too bad to pull.

87TT

WKR
I don't think there is an indestructible target for broadheads. I use a Rinehart 18-1 and start with field tips. I rub a bar of soap on my arrows and they pull out easy. I try to limit my broadhead use to mostly checking to see if they fly with my FP's. To be honest, I am happy if I get a whole year out of one. But I shoot every day. I use Kudupoint BH's and they pull out fairly easy as they cut coming out too. The layered targets don't last long at all. At least with the 18-1, you can rotate the faces. Before long withy BH's, I am shooting through them. Usually unscrew the head before pulling the arrow to save the target.

Trial153

WKR
Blob for broadheads only, until you shoot it up stay clear of any field points. It's not portable, at all ...I have one that's going on about 5 years old, @elkguide gave it to me because he is a wussy and couldn't pull his arrows. I have 5k to 7k shots easy into it and still has lots of life left in it. In the same time I shooting out a second rhino block.

Rhinoblocks and 18/1, these are middle of the pack, good value. Somewhat portable. You can shoot both FP and Bh into them with no problem. Centers will shoot out in short order with broadheads at least for the amount I shoot..
Matrix, good for broadheads, stiff with FP till you loosen it up. Heavy. The modulars are nice to be able to change out. Expensive.

Conclusion
FP....shoot bag targets.
18/1 and RHINOblock decent value, not very durable.
Blobs, insane value, crazy durable, stupid heavy. Hard to pull shafts
Matrix, crazy expensive, fairly user friendly.