Archery Turkey Hunt

New to the forum after a couple weeks of lurking. Planning on going on my first archery hunt (and first hunt ever) this spring for turkey. Does anyone have any experience using decapitating broadheads like the Magnus Bullhead? Or have you used large mechanical's and aimed for the head still? I've read that the Magnus are difficult to tune so just trying to figure out the best setup.

jaximus

FNG
if you decide to use the bullheads, use the arrows they build special for them. full length, straight and stiff spine with 4 fletch helical feathers to help steer those big guys. keep the shots close, like real close, on the decoys. use a blind to hide your draw, turkeys see very well. keep it dark and wear black. you CANNOT shoot through blind material with those heads so the windows in front of you must be open. make sure they are open far enough, not just for your sight picture, but also for the arrow/broadhead to clear. the biggest issue with guys new to blind hunting is keeping the bottom of the window too high and shooting through it. with the bullhead, youll have a loud and scary deflection. dont make that mistake.

dont shoot for the head with broadheads not designed for headshots.

body shots with big mechs are good, below the skin on the neck, above the beard or up the bung hole(easiest) are the 2 easiest. their vitals are higher than you think. look at a LOT of diagrams, especially strutting toms.

keep the shots close! turkeys with a bow are harder than whitetails in my opinion.

good luck!

OP
J
if you decide to use the bullheads, use the arrows they build special for them. full length, straight and stiff spine with 4 fletch helical feathers to help steer those big guys. keep the shots close, like real close, on the decoys. use a blind to hide your draw, turkeys see very well. keep it dark and wear black. you CANNOT shoot through blind material with those heads so the windows in front of you must be open. make sure they are open far enough, not just for your sight picture, but also for the arrow/broadhead to clear. the biggest issue with guys new to blind hunting is keeping the bottom of the window too high and shooting through it. with the bullhead, youll have a loud and scary deflection. dont make that mistake.

dont shoot for the head with broadheads not designed for headshots.

body shots with big mechs are good, below the skin on the neck, above the beard or up the bung hole(easiest) are the 2 easiest. their vitals are higher than you think. look at a LOT of diagrams, especially strutting toms.

keep the shots close! turkeys with a bow are harder than whitetails in my opinion.

good luck!

Awesome info, thank you!