Archery with kid in child carrier backpack?

3forks

WKR
Anyone have an opinion on shooting a bow while carrying a 12 month old in a child carrier backpack?

I haven’t seen anyone doing this at the 3D or practice range I shoot at, but kind of thought it would be something I would do with our kid.

In thinking about it further, I wonder if people aren’t doing this because they think it’s unsafe. I think there would be a very, very remote chance of this being unsafe for the kid, but I suppose something could happen if your equipment was in poor shape and your string broke or limbs cracked, or maybe you didn’t flex check an arrow after missing a target, or even a more remote chance of bow blowing up if you dry fired it. While all of those scenarios seem highly unlikely, I’d never forgive myself if something happened that I could have prevented.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Imo too much risk not of a mechanical issue but of the child reaching and getting a hand in the way of the string. I could be way off but that is the first thing that runs through my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was my biggest concern but my kiddo can't reach it yet

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I also spent most of my archery season like this
4912f5550556a7f338dc8dd87113c5a2.jpg

TheGDog

WKR
What if... What if something happened to the bow while you were firing it and the limbs shattered or something. If the string whipped back and jacked up your kid... you'd never live that down man.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
There is full cover shields you can out on those things.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I also spent most of my archery season like this
4912f5550556a7f338dc8dd87113c5a2.jpg

You most definitely can not shoot in this situation. I played guide.

Gorp2007

WKR
I've done it, but stopped the first time my kiddo reached up and plucked the string. If they're little and keep their hands to themselves it's fun, but once I saw those little sausages trying to grab the nock I decided it was time to call it quits.

OP

3forks

WKR
Thanks, guys.

I appreciate the feedback, and won’t be pursuing this as it’s just seems like an unnecessary risk.

I’ll just leave her in the car with some snacks and the baby monitor on, or ask someone at the adjacent park to watch her for me while I shoot.

Thanks, guys.

I appreciate the feedback, and won’t be pursuing this as it’s just seems like an unnecessary risk.

I’ll just leave her in the car with some snacks and the baby monitor on, or ask someone at the adjacent park to watch her for me while I shoot.

Now you’re thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
My boy has been riding a long since before he was one, and he turned three last week. We shoot at least once every other week when the days are short, and at least twice a week when they are long. I won the RMSgear summer 3d league this year with him on my back, and my wife has won the last two years. So, having him a long is nothing but fun, and absolutely not a hinderance, hassle, or distraction. It is family time and we all look forward to it. He has learned all his animal names, sounds, and can now memorize the course in a loop or two when they change the targets. It has also started his passion for shooting and hunting, so he goes a long scouting, has a few different bows, and went hunting this fall as well. I wouldn't have it any other way, and i genuinely can't think of a way that he is in danger other than if I had a serious fall while walking.

IMG_20190512_102318.jpg
IMG_20200428_160300.jpgIMG_20200523_114601.jpgIMG_20200608_163902.jpgIMG_20200614_105455.jpgIMG_20200620_113934.jpg1605843981953.png34291.jpegP5250005.JPG

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
I read the title and thought you were talking about hunting. I was going to reply that it works great if you throw in a gag ball and an ether soaked rag.

Austink47

WKR
It is some iron mind stuff trying to shoot when they start bouncing around randomly, could fix or cause target panic.

Beendare

WKR
I did it for years with both of my kids.....the risk of injury is minute.

Austin nailed it....their movement is what screws you up....

I have done it for years with both of my boys and numerous nieces and nephews. I always talked to them and explained that they had to keep hands and arms in or to "grab the handle" ( ours had a small grip in front of them) before I drew back. Good way to teach being quiet in the woods. Their movement was a challenge at times but something that added to the challenge and fun of archery shooting. I also hunted with them in the same way. Sadly, I never killed with either of them in the pack. Had opportunities though but I let them choose if I shot or not and they always said no.

Stickbow

FNG

FWIW

Anyone have an opinion on shooting a bow while carrying a 12 month old in a child carrier backpack?

I haven’t seen anyone doing this at the 3D or practice range I shoot at, but kind of thought it would be something I would do with our kid.

In thinking about it further, I wonder if people aren’t doing this because they think it’s unsafe. I think there would be a very, very remote chance of this being unsafe for the kid, but I suppose something could happen if your equipment was in poor shape and your string broke or limbs cracked, or maybe you didn’t flex check an arrow after missing a target, or even a more remote chance of bow blowing up if you dry fired it. While all of those scenarios seem highly unlikely, I’d never forgive myself if something happened that I could have prevented.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?
I guess why are you doing it? If you just have to take kid to range maybe an iPad or portable buckle in seat is safe also. If it’s for their fun I think it’s on how you do it, but probably low likelihood of issues.
since you raise the range and other people... if you are in your own backyard that’s one thing. If you want to go to a public range and do it I’d say it’s just a matter of time before someone pitches a sh”tfit with you or calls you on it, regardless of actual safety