Arcteryx rain gear

kipper09

WKR
Thinking of maybe doing some upgrading on my rain gear. Been using the Kuiu chugach for 5 years or so. It’s done it’s job really well. Just thinking I may wanna move to some arcteryx. I like solid colors and for the money it costs I would like to be able to use it other than hunting

Questions being what Arc’teryx rain/shell does everybody suggest? Gonna be an all around set to use but specifically want something very good and light for upcoming sheep and goat hunts I’m planning. They have a ton of shell jackets And there is nowhere anywhere near me that has a selection I can try on and look at. Just wanted some input on where to look in their lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Zeta AR. 70 denier fabric with a 3-layer pro shell, pit zips and the softer c-knit backer makes it more comfortable and less noisy. Too bad they discountinued this model. Any 3-layer gore tex will be a much better waterproof barrier than the Kuiu you have been using for extreme environments.

KyleJ-802

FNG
I've always heard the Beta AR was a good all around rain shell but still haven't had a chance to get my hands on one.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
I like and use the beta AR. However, I'm actually looking to go the other way for next year. Although awesome stuff, the Arc'teryx is really loud. Probably not as big a deal for goat/sheep, but killed me this year hunting deer.

Jimss

WKR
You might take a look at Marmot Precip. Next to my Sitka raingear I have had great results with MP. You can also pick them up if you shop around online for around $50 each! The jackets have pitzips. I use them quite a bit in Colo, Wyo, and Alaska.

Clarktar

WKR
The SV is top shelf rain protection and durability

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
The SV is top shelf rain protection and durability

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2nd for the SV...it literally does not get any better in a shell, its Arcteryx flagship jacket. 80/100d, goretex pro, recco reflector in the hood. It's been around for over 20 years (yes, redesigned a few times. And I have no doubt there is still a few SV shells in service

If there was one item I'd ever use the term "bomb-proof" for, it's the SV.

The Alpha SV has the pockets cut high for wearing with a climbing harness, the Beta SV has pockets more "normally" placed.

feanor

WKR
I’ve got an older sidewinder sv that’s been going strong for a while. I use it skiing a lot too which shows how well it’s made. It resists a lot of abrasions and trees on the slopes going fast, so hiking and bush wacking is nothing for it.
Cons are that it’s loud, and the fit( on this model at least) has always felt a little short in the sleeves. But thats just me. I wouldn’t call it ultralight, but I trade that off knowing it’s tough.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Beta SV.
I’ve looked into other jackets but can’t find a reason to move away from Arcteryx. I like the SG stuff and the KUIU stuff but when I look at weight/durability it’s hard to retire the Beta SV. I do believe the SG and KUIU may breath a little better but I’ve not got to the point I’d trade that ever so slightly “better breathability” for durability. It’s all loud - it’s rain gear.

Another thing to mention is Arcteryx warranty - literally best I’ve used.

They do make a line Arcteryx Leaf - I’d love to have the Alpha Gen 2. My only complaint about my Beta SV is that the hood (not a drop away hood like the beta ar) gets annoying if I have it down and zipped all the way up - using more like a wind shell.

I prefer my forloh rain jacket to my beta AR. Both are great, forloh is just much quieter, breathes better and is made in America. Can't really go wrong with the beta AR if you dont mind the noise and it being made overseas tho

Thats true the leaf line is made in Canada i believe, but its insanely overpriced on the secondary market

Tecker123

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I prefer my forloh rain jacket to my beta AR. Both are great, forloh is just much quieter, breathes better and is made in America. Can't really go wrong with the beta AR if you dont mind the noise and it being made overseas tho
Really appreciate the honest assessment of the Forloh rain jacket that you have. Quietness is always in our development thought process!