Arctic Air Unguided Caribou Hunt

sticks32

Lil-Rokslider
What it sounds like to me is that it's part too many hunters booked, combined with a wildfire smoke delay. Now they're too backed up to get us in the field. Hopefully, things are sorted out by the time your trip happens! Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

What it sounds like to me is that it's part too many hunters booked, combined with a wildfire smoke delay. Now they're too backed up to get us in the field. Hopefully, things are sorted out by the time your trip happens! Best of luck!

That sucks. Hope it gets sorted out for you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

WKR
Keep and eye on....
1) Pick, Lockwood, Aloha, Asikat fires
2) Surface winds
3) Daily updates on the 10 day
4) Metro reports from Kotz

That will paint a picture daily on the current, future and projected weather patterns.

AKBorn

WKR
Reviving this thread. Anyone else having issues this year? Our hunt was just canceled without warning.

Sorry to hear that, SUCKS......

Was the hunt cancelled because of wildfire smoke impacting bush flights, or some other reason?
What unit were you planning to hunt, and who were you flying with?

sticks32

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like to me that wildfire smoke caused a small delay, and that caused too many hunters to be backed up. Artic Air. We hadn't met our pilot yet. Not sure the unit. Found out

Twaite

FNG
I got a call Monday saying we may have to cancel for our trip. Flying out 9/1. Was given a 40% chance of getting into the field. Sounds like smoke and weather related. Fingers crossed we will get out. Hate to cancel two weeks before we leave.

sticks32

Lil-Rokslider
I got a call Monday saying we may have to cancel for our trip. Flying out 9/1. Was given a 40% chance of getting into the field. Sounds like smoke and weather related. Fingers crossed we will get out. Hate to cancel two weeks before we leave.
I'm sure rooting for your group. Hope your experience was better than ours.

kgk_kcc

FNG
Our group is in the same boat but headed up in August. Happy to report back to you guys and everyone following this thread once we're done since it seems like we'll be some of the first to go since the change in ownership. Gary seems like a great fella so far and we're hoping for a good trip!
Follow-up on Arctic Air / Unguided Alaska trip:

Just got back from our trip. All things considered, trip went great, but we all agreed that a lot of luck played into it. For everyone following this thread or looking to go in the near future, here’s a couple things I’d make note of:

First and foremost, Arctic Air / Unguided Alaska is significantly overbooked for this year. Anybody taking a trip this year (and maybe for the following year or two) will likely run into more logistical delays related to capacity than the weather-related delays that are the norm (which will still occur just as well). This isn’t a knock on the outfitter, it’s just the truth. Gary and his team now have an oversized book of business between last year’s cancellations rolling over and absorbing a whole new outfit this year. They are doing the best they can, but it is frustrating. We spent three extra days in the field, most of which were not due to weather but to having to wait our place in line for pilots. Best thing you could bring on this trip is patience and grace.

Trip insurance - It’s not up for debate. Our entire group, as well as every group we interacted with, encountered some sort of delay on the front or back end of their trip. If you’re going with Gary any time soon, I’d also recommend not reserving your hotel room on the return end. You likely won’t be there on time, and if you are, just get your room then.

Food - Our group went with the supplied drop camp package which included tents and food. Tents are good and there’s plenty of good coffee, snacks, and Mountain House options in there to hold you over for 10 days, just as advertised. Many of us made the mistake of bringing candy and sweets with us as extra treats to supplement what was included. Do not bring more sweets - you will have more than you need. What you will likely want most are savory snacks like chips, jerky, etc. I’d also recommend bringing some kind of fruit/veggies and a multivitamin for an immune system pick-me-up at some point.

Waders - None of us ever left camp without our waders on after Day 1. Don’t skimp and get the hip ones, get wading pants or full waders with good, comfortable boots.

Meat - Take the time to build a legit meat cache upon arrival. Go overboard with it and make it bigger and better than you’d think necessary. By the time we had 5 bulls worth of meat in ours, we were wishing we had made a better system/structure from the start. Also bring a good bone saw.

Wolves - We did kill a wolf. It was a lot of luck (and being out all day despite the bad weather) but it can be done. Have a small coyote call ready if you see one just out of range, might help close the gap.

Ptarmigan - We brought a slingshot. You need a shotgun.

Rain gear - Same as trip insurance, not up for debate, buy the best stuff you can. I’d even bring a second rain jacket if I came back just to always have a fresh one whenever I get soaked all day.

General advice - If you have a bigger group (4+) and you care about getting out close to as-scheduled, I’d put some serious thought into shooting the first bulls you like, especially if they’re in a good killable spot. Your departure time will depend on three things: the weather in Kotzebue, the weather where you are, and your place in line once you tag-out.

Our experience: For context, we hunted just north of the Brooks Range in the earlier part of the season (Aug 12-20) and had a mixed bag of days/bulls. Day 1 we were covered in bulls and took 1 great one. Days 2 & 3 we hardly saw anything within 3 miles of us and managed to squeak out 2 small bulls. Day 4 we sat through rain at a funnel point by the river and managed to kill a wolf, no bulls. Day 5 the flood gates opened again and we killed 2 good bulls within 3 hours of each other. Day 6 we got ready for pick up. Days 7-10 we waited and eventually got taken out little by little. In those waiting days, we had one day with substantial caribou activity and one with bad weather, the rest we just didn’t see much.

Empress is the best place to eat in Kotz, adding thinly sliced caribou meat to your Mountain House like it’s Pho is a power move later in the week, bring a little extra cash to the field with you for the river pirates, and don’t leave empties in your hotel room (the locals are very “sensitive” about alcohol and you might get a fine).
Happy to answer questions if anybody has them. Best of luck!

Attachments

• IMG_4962.jpeg
    IMG_4962.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0650.jpeg
    IMG_0650.jpeg
    539.6 KB · Views: 95

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the follow up. We just booked a group of 4 for 2025 with them. I’d love to hear more from others hunting with them this year.

@kgk_kcc don't leave us hanging! We need to know more about these river pirates.

Also, do you have a side picture of the bull on the packframe?

I appreciate the trip recap and tips.

Last edited:
Currently on its 3rd owner that I am aware of.
Sorry. You said last few years. It's been sold once since 2018.
I'm fairly liberal with my use of "few" or "several."

It just seemed like I have heard of a couple of "new owners," but it often sounds like similar shenanigans. Overbooked or late notice cancellations and such. I suppose they are at least getting people in the field.

Last edited:

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the recap of your trip! My brother and I just booked for early September in '25. You mentioned trip insurance, did you guys end up purchasing some? If so, mind me asking who through? You can send me a pm if you'd like.

Thanks for the recap of your trip! My brother and I just booked for early September in '25. You mentioned trip insurance, did you guys end up purchasing some? If so, mind me asking who through? You can send me a pm if you'd like.
I'd also be interested in this info!