Arctic Air Unguided Caribou Hunt

Rich M

WKR
My opinion would be to wear stocking foot waders. That is what we did last year and wore them when we left camp and also when we fished. They don't weigh much and I don't mind wearing them. We however didn't go over a mile away from camp hunting since we had luck within a mile of camp. Another couple guys that were on another lake with arctic air had hip waders and they said they couldn't get across the river or stream that they were by with them. This is only my second time hunting in Alaska and I wore the chest stocking waders both times and I'm glad I had them instead of muck boots or hip waders. Just my two cents.

We use the Cabelas breathable waders, sometimes you can get em for $100/pair. Bass Pro has a version that is light nylon with a poly coating on the inside that used to be like $70. I wore 1 pair duck hunting every weekend during the season for 4 or 5 years before they began to leak. Used canvas high top sneakers for my "boots".

TSAMP

WKR
Hi Guys, Just registered new member here. Came across the thread and see that many of your hunts are approaching. Myself and a buddy are jumping into a last min hunt with Sheila as well last week of August, as in next month. Everybody still happy with all communication etc? Jumping in last minute just trying to gather as much intel as i can.

Gobbler36

WKR
we are hunting August 18-25 with Artic Air. so far communication has been awesome and she has answered all of our questions. Hoping for a great hunt my biggest fear is just being too early for migration but this is where your pilots earn there money to get you near game

TSAMP

WKR
we are hunting August 18-25 with Artic Air. so far communication has been awesome and she has answered all of our questions. Hoping for a great hunt my biggest fear is just being too early for migration but this is where your pilots earn there money to get you near game
Nice, I will be there the 26th to head out into the field. Might run into you in the airport.

TSAMP

WKR
Yeah I hear ya. I haven't talked to anyone who bow hunted it but a couple guys indicated they thought they had opportunity.
Nice
Same for us just two, been trying to make up my mind on the archery thing though

Nice
Same for us just two, been trying to make up my mind on the archery thing though

Take both, if you can swing it depending on the weight 2 of our guys are going with both on our trip 9/8-9/15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
Yeah I hear ya. I haven't talked to anyone who bow hunted it but a couple guys indicated they thought they had opportunity.
What is Alaskas policy on Bowhunter certification? Do you need a bow hunters class? Sorry don’t want to derail this thread so if someone wants to pm me that’s fine

TSAMP

WKR
If the specific unit (area) or tag specifies as bow only. You need bow certification. Alaska recognizes many other states certificates. I dont think alaska offers a totally online course but several other states do offer one. Iowa for example. So you could technically take the iowa course then be approved by alaska respectively. This caribou hunt we are discussing doesn't require it.

Gobbler36

WKR
If the specific unit (area) or tag specifies as bow only. You need bow certification. Alaska recognizes many other states certificates. I dont think alaska offers a totally online course but several other states do offer one. Iowa for example. So you could technically take the iowa course then be approved by alaska respectively. This caribou hunt we are discussing doesn't require it.
this is correct, i called and confirmed. thanks for the info

SHPetty

FNG
Booked with Arctic Air for a 3 man trip Sept 8-15. Sheila has answered all of our questions and communication has been spot on so far. 4 weeks and counting. Gear is laid out all in the guest bedroom and ready to be packed up.

TSAMP

WKR
Booked with Arctic Air for a 3 man trip Sept 8-15. Sheila has answered all of our questions and communication has been spot on so far. 4 weeks and counting. Gear is laid out all in the guest bedroom and ready to be

Anybody using the anchorage sat phone company? I'm still working on finding either a Garmin or sat phone to rent.