Arctic Air Unguided Caribou Hunt

How was your hunt? Did Arctic Air provide the level of service you were looking for?
My buddy and I used them in September of 2017 and we were camped along a river just south of a real big ridge running east/west. It was not far from a small town we flew over about an hour out of kotzebue. We didn't see any caribou on the flight in and were told that we would be moved if we didn't have any animals in a few days. Well we called them after a couple days of nothing and were told that the caribou were about a mile away from us heading right towards us. Hang tight and in 24 hours they will be there. And nothing showed up. We were never moved to a new place and were told that the caribou turned around and went back into the mountains due to the weather warming up. Now all that being said I am looking to go back again but I'm not sure if I'll use them again. Whomever I use I will make it clear that I don't want to be set down until I see some caribou. Good luck on your hunt. And remember they are coming and should be there tomorrow. Lol that's why they call it hunting and not harvesting.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

duckhunterrr

Lil-Rokslider
So it sounds like everyone is satisfied with their experience with Arctic Air? Did any of you check out other companies prior? What made you choose Arctic Air over anyone else?

Yes they supplied everything as far as food, tent ECT as described and better. All our gear was brand new except for my cot. The only thing that they didn't do as promised is move us if we weren't seeing any Caribou.

mooster

WKR
My buddy and I used them in September of 2017 and we were camped along a river just south of a real big ridge running east/west. It was not far from a small town we flew over about an hour out of kotzebue. We didn't see any caribou on the flight in and were told that we would be moved if we didn't have any animals in a few days. Well we called them after a couple days of nothing and were told that the caribou were about a mile away from us heading right towards us. Hang tight and in 24 hours they will be there. And nothing showed up. We were never moved to a new place and were told that the caribou turned around and went back into the mountains due to the weather warming up. Now all that being said I am looking to go back again but I'm not sure if I'll use them again. Whomever I use I will make it clear that I don't want to be set down until I see some caribou. Good luck on your hunt. And remember they are coming and should be there tomorrow. Lol that's why they call it hunting and not harvesting.

We had a similar experience. In the course of a conversation advising them of changing weather just as a courtesy since we need they’d be flying, we mentioned the lack of game. The immediate response was that Mike saw a herd a mile to our S and they were headed our way. They didn’t know we were sitting a mile to the S that day, the day prior, and after, and such a herd didn’t exist. So I think that reply may be standard protocol in response to a report of lack of game.

Hmmm...sounds like a Quebec hunt I was on. Drop camp and told us that they would move us if Caribou were not there, but never did.

Any other reports? Which other air transport services might you consider?

mooster

WKR
Hmmm...sounds like a Quebec hunt I was on. Drop camp and told us that they would move us if Caribou were not there, but never did.

There’s multiple air taxis out of kotz. Think Ram, Golden Eagle, North something. That said Artic Air had guys in that had successful hunts that same week. It’s just luck or the draw if you got dropped in a spot.

bighorn

FNG
I used Ram Aviation this year. I had similar worries about Ram because of the reviews they received from the prior owner (now runs Arctic Air). I ended up choosing Ram because they run less hunters through. I was worried about being another “number”, and honestly it paid off. The guys I met at the airport going with Arctic were not that impressed. Overall I was happy with Ram Aviation and his team. I think they all have the same mentality though, get the hunter in and out ASAP. Here is my bull:
IMG_3866.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mooster

WKR
I used Ram Aviation this year. I had similar worries about Ram because of the reviews they received from the prior owner (now runs Arctic Air). I ended up choosing Ram because they run less hunters through. I was worried about being another “number”, and honestly it paid off. The guys I met at the airport going with Arctic were not that impressed. Overall I was happy with Ram Aviation and his team. I think they all have the same mentality though, get the hunter in and out ASAP. Here is my bull:
View attachment 133381

That’s an amazing bull. Has just about everything you could ask for. Congrats

While I was successful with Arctic air this year I was standing at the “air field” and noticed ALL other transporters were running tundra tires and Arctic was running pontoons, when asked about it they got defensive, and said that’s what made them better. All in all I think it severely limited where they could drop us as it had to be a lake, couldn’t be a field or river as many of the other transporters could drop hunters where they wanted

Jorge400

FNG
View attachment 133381

Nice!

AKBorn

WKR
While I was successful with Arctic air this year I was standing at the “air field” and noticed ALL other transporters were running tundra tires and Arctic was running pontoons, when asked about it they got defensive, and said that’s what made them better. All in all I think it severely limited where they could drop us as it had to be a lake, couldn’t be a field or river as many of the other transporters could drop hunters where they wanted

Great post - that definitely limits the areas that a transporter can fly hunters to. Lots of lakes in Alaska, but not a huge number fit for bush plane takeoffs and landings. Even a small bush plane needs a decent amount of lake for takeoffs with a full load.

Swick

FNG
we are hunting August 18-25 with Artic Air. so far communication has been awesome and she has answered all of our questions. Hoping for a great hunt my biggest fear is just being too early for migration but this is where your pilots earn there money to get you near game
Adam634
we are hunting August 18-25 with Artic Air. so far communication has been awesome and she has answered all of our questions. Hoping for a great hunt my biggest fear is just being too early for migration but this is where your pilots earn there money to get you near game
Adam 634, how was you trip? My two sons and I just booked with Arctic Air for 2020 with similar dates in August as your trip. Concerned about being a bit early, but have to get my boys back for school.

Gobbler36

WKR
Adam634

Adam 634, how was you trip? My two sons and I just booked with Arctic Air for 2020 with similar dates in August as your trip. Concerned about being a bit early, but have to get my boys back for school.
Not a concern. Great hunt, and saw plenty of animals take my advice and throw all the worries out the window and just enjoy all the details of the trip. We got hit with a cold front and had caribou everywhere for three days and then the animal movement slowed a little but was still able to find mature bulls everyday. Congratulations on booking your trip and good luck!

Swick

FNG
Not a concern. Great hunt, and saw plenty of animals take my advice and throw all the worries out the window and just enjoy all the details of the trip. We got hit with a cold front and had caribou everywhere for three days and then the animal movement slowed a little but was still able to find mature bulls everyday. Congratulations on booking your trip and good luck!
Thanks for the info! Great to hear you had a good trip. We are all very excited.

Swick. as adam634 said don't worry go have some fun. My son and I went in early August and saw plenty of animals and had a great trip! We were coming out the same day adam634 went in I do believe. It was an incredible trip!!!

Swick

FNG
Swick. as adam634 said don't worry go have some fun. My son and I went in early August and saw plenty of animals and had a great trip! We were coming out the same day adam634 went in I do believe. It was an incredible trip!!!
That is great news. Glad you and your son had a great trip.

If you don’t mind me asking, any advice on footwear? In particular, waders?

For waders we went with Chota Hippies and Crocs. Where we were we didn't have to cross any streams or rivers so the only time we wore them was getting on and off the float plane. The rest of the hunt we wore Crispi Nevada boots with Sitka gaiters and they worked great. The reason we went with the Chotas and Crocs was that they were light and we could pack them and swap them out to cross any rivers, and didn't want to wear waders all the time.

Great post. Thanks for the insight. We are booked for a hunt with Arctic Air in 2020. Looking forward to it.