Arctic Air Unguided Caribou Hunt

mooster

WKR
While I was successful with Arctic air this year I was standing at the “air field” and noticed ALL other transporters were running tundra tires and Arctic was running pontoons, when asked about it they got defensive, and said that’s what made them better. All in all I think it severely limited where they could drop us as it had to be a lake, couldn’t be a field or river as many of the other transporters could drop hunters where they wanted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually Artic Air was bragging they weren’t backup with hunters since they could access all their lakes. They suggested the river beds were either nonexistent or compromised due to the flooding, causing the other transporters major head aches.

Has anyone used Arctic Air Flying out of Kotzebue, AK for an unguided drop hunt? We are thinking of using them in September 2019 for a four-man unguided caribou hunt in the Brooks Range. Any information or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Be careful! You need to ask yourself why is this a new flying service? Do some research and you will answer your questions....... Carefulllllll

US Fish and Wildlife shows Sheila Spisak as the contact for Arctic Air under their list of air transporters operating in the refuge. Sheila and Mike Spisak were the previous owners of Ram Aviation before they sold the business 2 or 3 years ago.
Ask yourself why they sold the previous flying service.......There is only one reason to change the name after 4 years.....

Crandall

FNG
Alright gentleman, new to the forum. Currently debating whether or not to book a flight with RAM or arctic air. I've checked out both and it seems that RAM has better caliber bulls but arctic air has very high success rates (89-90%) ive read every inch of his thread multiple times to pick. also my hunts booked august 14-21st. think it would be worth pushing it back 2 weeks? appreciate all the help from anyone thats been in my shoes.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Alright gentleman, new to the forum. Currently debating whether or not to book a flight with RAM or arctic air. I've checked out both and it seems that RAM has better caliber bulls but arctic air has very high success rates (89-90%) ive read every inch of his thread multiple times to pick. also my hunts booked august 14-21st. think it would be worth pushing it back 2 weeks? appreciate all the help from anyone thats been in my shoes.

The later you can get into September the more caribou movement you should see.

RAM vs Arctic Air? I would do a couple Google searches of the company owners. You'll be able to eliminate one fairly quickly.

Have you talked to Arctic Backcountry Aviation or Golden Eagle Outfitters?

Crandall

FNG
I haven't yet, people seemed pretty happy with arctic air the last 2 years seemed like. I'm just stuck in this vortex of oh shit I dont wanna pick the wrong place or time! But hey I hope for big bulls !

mooster

WKR
We hunted basically the last week that AA was flying last year. It’s a small town so you’ll see and possibly share hotel with other hunters. The Golden eagle and other hunters in town did a heck of a lot better than we did (few and very small bou). The advantage of going late, at least in our minds was, the bou pattern would be established, and we’d avoid bug and meat spoilage issues.

Crandall

FNG
Thanks for the input I'll look into different airlines, also I herd that AA is very limited were they can land because of landing gear. That might play a big factor if they animals aren't near a big body of water.

mooster

WKR
Thanks for the input I'll look into different airlines, also I herd that AA is very limited were they can land because of landing gear. That might play a big factor if they animals aren't near a big body of water.
Last year AA was bragging that they were still dropping hunters while other taxi’s were limited due to submerged or washed out gravel bars. So that argument can go either way. That said, we had hunters on top of us all week. Not my idea of going all the way to above the Artic circle to hunt alone in the wild.

Crandall

FNG
God damn, it can just go either way I think.... just gotta pick something and pray that it works it sounds like.

Voyageur

WKR
I've been to AK hunting caribou three times. In no way do I consider myself an expert nor do I claim to be one. Having said that, and based on my limited experience, I would focus first and foremost on WHO you will be flying with rather than success and trophy rates. Get the who right and you are 3/4's of the way there.
Just my two cents and worth exactly what you've paid for it...

Last year AA was bragging that they were still dropping hunters while other taxi’s were limited due to submerged or washed out gravel bars. So that argument can go either way. That said, we had hunters on top of us all week. Not my idea of going all the way to above the Artic circle to hunt alone in the wild.
Simply put....Look at the owners history. Find out why he stopped flying for 48 months...Got to be a reason don't ya think?

Crandall

FNG
I think I'm just gonna have to trust Russ Meyers out of outdoor international. Family has been friends with him for quite a few years. He goes with AA

mooster

WKR
B2427F0A-D20E-4F1D-A794-F1DFBD7111C8.jpeg
our camp and the other camp across same lake. They dropped us off, pulled out hunters from our site.Then returned to swap out the camp across from us. Some days we were 1000 yds (rangefinder) apart glassing the same valley. We never saw the other hunters have antlers or meat bags in their camp. This is our N=1 experience with AA.

We won’t end of August, sounds like the weather hasn’t turned out great. We were seeing lots of animals each day, the weeek prior had a big storm and then temps dropped and had strong north winds each day, that brought frost in the mornings, ended up taking the two biggest bulls we seen for the trip. Congratulations to everyone

How did you like your TP style tent with the stove? We are looking at planning a trip for next September. And I’m thinking about a seek outside tee pee. Was there enough wood to burn up there?

mooster

WKR
How did you like your TP style tent with the stove? We are looking at planning a trip for next September. And I’m thinking about a seek outside tee pee. Was there enough wood to burn up there?
It was awesome. Held off major winds. Was warm when weather was in teens. Was very much a relief at the end of the day. Plenty of dead brush to burn around the lake and there were some brushy glassing knobs that had some good deadwood also.

TSAMP

WKR
For what its worth i hunted with AA last year as well. I too noticed a more crowded tundra than was expected. Especially after sat phoning that we had a bull down. I think it was slim pickings last year so folks were likely closer than originally planned to maximize opportunities. I think the bulk of their reviews are good and that should tell you alot. My advice is go as late as you can.

This is 1000% percent accurate, as we discovered in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk