Arctic Anorak Traditional Canvas vs Modern Supplex

Voyageur

WKR
Have a question that is a bit out of the mainstream of topics on this site.
In the process of purchasing a traditionaly styled anorak for winter use...snowshoeing, camping, ice fishing, etc. My two choices boil down to one made from supplex nylon (Wintergreen Northern Wear) or one sewn from cotton canvas (Empire Canvas, Duluth Pack, Lure of the North, etc.) Curious if anyone here has firsthand experience with the two different options?
Another choice is full zip or 1/4 zip. Besides just personal preference, any not so obvious advantages disadvantages of one over the other?

wilbur007

FNG
Since winter is well underway here I figured I'd chime in. I wear a Hill People Gear nylon windcheater (with a fur ruff) for active movement from +5C to -10 C (40F to 15F). (Snowshoeing and cross country skiing.) It works well with a good baselayer and a puffy thrown on over top when I stop. It has huge pit zips and I really like the pockets so I don't lose my car keys in the snow.

Below that, or if I'm doing things that are more a mixture of stationary/active, I'll use a white cotton pullover anorak that I found at a thrift store. It breathes beautifully and is exceptional for pushing through dense stands of jackpine. The cotton is also surprisingly quiet. The white meets our color requirements for whitetail season and is useful as snow camo for coyote hunting. If I hadn't found this at a thrift shop I would strongly consider one of the Lure of the North DIY anorak kits. No affiliation but they look like the real deal.

It came with a rabbit fur ruff which I should really get around to swapping out for a coyote ruff. (Whatever you get I'd recommend a good coyote fur ruff.)

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Thanks for the reply. I found it interesting that several of the reasons you mentioned for your choices in winter clothing mirrored my reasons for deciding to order an anorak from Lure of the North. I should have it in a couple of weeks.

wilbur007

FNG
Oh cool! Please let me know how that works out for you. Their mitten kits look pretty tempting too.