Arctic oven users

coues32

WKR
How much warmer are these tents compared to regular 4 season tents?
Other benefits of design?
Looking at the Shockey series.

AKYZ450F

FNG
I have a AO10, and used it down to 0 degrees with the stove. Believe that having a stove is worth the weight. I have never had another 4 season tent, but used to use a Eureka 3 season tent before the arctic oven. Only thing I can say about the Eureka tent was it's weighed less. My brother just picked up a Shockey series I believe his is a 12x12. He only used it one night this season but I was there when he took down and it looked to be a nice tent. Picture of mine a few years ago around the 28th of September

Attachments

• AO10.jpeg
    AO10.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 84
I can't speak for the Shockey series, but as far as AO tents go, I don't think you will find a more bomber, comfortable, better built tent on the face of the planet. The actual tent body material is super breathable, yet holds in heat incredibly well, and with their extreme weather poles they're capable of taking a serious wind and or snow load. I don't have any personal experience using them in heavy snow conditions, which is really what they're built for, but I have weathered some pretty fierce storms on Kodiak in one, and trust me, they don't waver. One of my favorite pictures off the AK Tent and Tarp website.
PointsNorth_517_344_c1_c_c_0_1_n.jpg

jhm2023

WKR
I've used the AO10, AO8 and currently own an igloo. I've used them down to -35 and still able to sit around in a pair of shorts on the inside. They also handle a snow load and high winds like a champ all while allowing you to be comfortable. The only true down side to them is it makes you more reluctant to get out of the tent in the mornings and hunt when it's real cold because they are so comfortable inside.

OP
C

coues32

WKR
Thanks guys, it will be used mostly in the states,not much below 0 deg.
But being noticeably warmer than say cabelas guide tents?

AKYZ450F

FNG
Thanks guys, it will be used mostly in the states,not much below 0 deg.
But being noticeably warmer than say cabelas guide tents?
I also have a 12x12 Cabelas Alaknak tent, and it is a good tent and does ok down to the teens with a stove in it. But saying that it is not the tent that the AO extreme is. Much less wood to heat the arctic oven and holds the heat much better.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
The AO is an outstanding tent, we use ours yearly. In addition to the better heat retention, the lack of condensation on the walls is another selling point. Having said that, I did have a pole fail at 2:00 am on Kodiak in a nasty storm. We were able to splint it and it was fine for the rest of the trip. That same storm flattened two other parties tents which led to both parties being pulled out by the Coast Guard.

The AO is an outstanding tent, we use ours yearly. In addition to the better heat retention, the lack of condensation on the walls is another selling point. Having said that, I did have a pole fail at 2:00 am on Kodiak in a nasty storm. We were able to splint it and it was fine for the rest of the trip. That same storm flattened two other parties tents which led to both parties being pulled out by the Coast Guard.

I think that the tent wall fabrics ability to wick moisture is a high advantage, and is way underestimated. You can use a propane heater, and a propane stove to boil water, all of which would create considerable amounts of condensation, but have zero condensation build up inside the tent. It’s pretty damn impressive. Just out of curiosity, when did you experience the storm that caused the pole failure? I’ve been hunting Kodiak just about every fall for the last 13 years, and I’m wondering if I was on the island during that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I think that the tent wall fabrics ability to wick moisture is a high advantage, and is way underestimated. You can use a propane heater, and a propane stove to boil water, all of which would create considerable amounts of condensation, but have zero condensation build up inside the tent. It’s pretty damn impressive. Just out of curiosity, when did you experience the storm that caused the pole failure? I’ve been hunting Kodiak just about every fall for the last 13 years, and I’m wondering if I was on the island during that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it was early October of 2013, but don't quote me on the year. In all fairness to the AO, the tent pole didn't actually break, the silver coupler between the pole section came loose and went down into the pole section body. We were able to splint the sections together and it worked fine for the rest of the trip. AK Tent & Tarp warrantied the pole even though the tent was several years old at that point.