Arctic Predator hunt in Alaska

Three days after whitetail season ends (1/17/2020) at the South Texas ranch I manage, I’m leaving for Fairbanks - to do some predator hunting with a buddy of mine. He’s a Fairbanks native and an avid Lynx hunter. We cooked up the idea, a while back, to go on a 5-6 day hunt together and target several species including an arctic fox. He’s never killed one. I absolutely love calling bobcats and I do a LOT of it here in Texas, but I’ve never killed a lynx. Hell, I’ve never been to Alaska either. So I jumped at his invitation to come up right after deer season.

The plan is, weather permitting, to drive up above the Arctic circle and try for arctic fox, wolf and wolverine.... and of course some lynx! It’s about a 500 mile drive up to Prudhoe Bay but we’d really like to make it all the way there so I can see the ice. Yep, if I’m going to Alaska and the arctic for the first time, I’m GOING to do some sightseeing!!

I’m going to document the trip as best as I can and post it on here when I can; but I wanted to let anyone that’s interested know I’ll be posting on my Instagram page (@BrushyHillGuide) as regularly as I can. I’ll start the day I leave or possibly the day before. My access to Internet will be extremely limited but we just found out that AT&T JUST activated cell towers at several fuel stops along the way! This means I may be able to update a bit more often than I’d thought. Still, I don’t know if I’ll have time to post on here as well as Instagram.

I just thought some guys might be interested in something a little different, like an arctic predator hunt. It’s definitely VERY different than the type of predator hunting that’s usually discussed on here and that I do normally! I’m a very experienced and successful Texas predator hunter but this is going to be awfully different and I’m looking to forward to the challenge of new animals and the extreme environment! I don’t have the camera gear to properly film this hunt but I’m hoping that, if it comes off well, I’ll go back NEXT winter with some video gear.

Anyway, I wanted to share this hunt with some other predator hunters. Hopefully, some of yall will find it interesting. I could use ANY advice I can get from folks experienced in arctic winter hunting and calling the wolves up there, along with Arctic fox and wolverine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Tagged, what rifle and calls are you taking?

I’m not taking any rifles. He shoots mine when he’s down here and I’m going to return the favor. I’ll probably be shooting his .204 and he’s shooting his .22 mag. We’re also taking a 6mm and a .243 for wolves and caribou. I’m taking my FoxPro Shockwave with my favorite sounds and he just purchased a Shockwave of his own. He’s got a bunch of Whitetail Technology sounds he normally uses and he bought some sounds with his Shockwave. I’m also taking a few mouth calls, just in case

I’m looking for moose, caribou and ptarmigan distress sounds but I haven’t had any luck, so far, finding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching. Looking forward to following along. Sounds like a blast!

I bet there's some bird sounds that sound real close to ptarmigan on foxpro. I bet the critters don't discriminate on screaming food up there. Lol

wysongdog

WKR
Sabinal, TX to Alaska in January should be a shell shock lol. Good luck and have fun keep us posted.

Good luck on your quest. I don't have any experience with the artic but last year watched my wolf guide in BC call in a lynx with just a lip squeak on the back of his hand. Don't think they would be much different than a TX bobcat as far as sounds to use. Wolves have my number, no luck there so far but have watched others call them in with prey sounds and a few with howls. Standing by for updates.

Please say hello to Pete from Greg & Kay in NC.

My wife saw a wolf on the ride up to Prudhoe Bay. Be careful with the 5 mile zone (no rifle hunting from the road), F&G in AK don't play games.

Lynx called with lip squeak:

9sLWoWq.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you’ll have “warm”weather, mostly +\- single digits and a waxing moon. Recommend skis over snowshoes to get out of the archery corridor. Are you camping out?

Good luck, you’ll have quite the thrill!

Sheepdog

FNG
Good luck it’s a fun trip! I assume going up the haul road you’ll be “trapping!” Know your regs up there.

Don’t forget to make the stop in Coldfoot. Do it during daylight if you want food. The bacon cheese burgers are pretty good. It’s be the last stop for gas to so if nothing else fill up before heading north.

Voyageur

WKR
Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping you post a write-up on here when you return.

Good luck on your quest. I don't have any experience with the artic but last year watched my wolf guide in BC call in a lynx with just a lip squeak on the back of his hand. Don't think they would be much different than a TX bobcat as far as sounds to use. Wolves have my number, no luck there so far but have watched others call them in with prey sounds and a few with howls. Standing by for updates.

Please say hello to Pete from Greg & Kay in NC.

My wife saw a wolf on the ride up to Prudhoe Bay. Be careful with the 5 mile zone (no rifle hunting from the road), F&G in AK don't play games.

Lynx called with lip squeak:

9sLWoWq.jpg
good lookin cat!