Arctic Shield Boot Covers

_Rhino_

FNG
Anyone have experience with these boot covers? I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes which are 400 gram. I go and whitetail hunt with family in Michigan every year and am wondering if the boot covers will give me enough insulation with the Kenetreks to avoid having to buy a set of 1200 gram pack boots just for whitetail sits.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in uninsulated Salomon Quests with the Arctic Shields and love them. I hate wearing heavy boots. Problem solved.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
They keep me comfortable. Your cold tolerance and weather could be drastically different than mine. They are frequently on Camofire pretty cheap and are certainly worth a shot.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
We use them in extreme cold stand hunting in MN and ND. Work very well. You can also add the little hand heater packs to them also. My buddy always has cold toes so he slips the heater pads in right away pre-dawn and then may put a fresh set if around lunch time. My only advice is to make sure you buy a pair plenty big. They are a b*tch to put on if they fit snug. As stated above a piece of carpet under your feet make a HUGE difference too.

I’ve used them in the stand and in the blind when it’s really cold. However, I put one of the little hand warmers in each one, then take my boots off and just put my socked foot in the boot blankets. My feet never get cold. The pair I have are very old. My Dad bought them back in the late 80’s /early 90’s. They are treebark camo if that tells you anything.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
The arctic Shield brand ones pack down pretty small. No idea on the exact weight, but not much. I’ve seen some off brand ones that look like a tall boot. They would be hell to pack but I think they are less expensive.

Arctic Shield excels when you are stationary in cold environments. I have a set (jacket, pants, beanie, boot covers) that I have taken down to 12 below with 30+ mph winds and been toasty. They are not suited for movement as you will quickly overhear. The boot covers do not weight much but provide great warmth. If your feet run cold, consider tossing a hand warmer in them.

I found them very beneficial over lacrosse 1600s, but they do get very crinkly (noisy) in single digits and lower. The solution? Don’t move lol. This year I’ll throw a heat pocket in there also based on other recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

WKR
Have them, love them. They are a PITA to pack in, but I don’t carry a lot. Going to a small pack this year for cold all day sits, so that should help.

As others have stated, they are great for stand hunting, especially if you put a disposable handwarmer inside of them. They ARE NOT designed for walking. You have to put them on after you get into the stand, and take them off before leaving the stand.

iowawhitetailnut

Lil-Rokslider
This is an old thread, but I am looking for insulated boot covers. I have heard that the arctic shields are fairly bulky and awkward to pack in. Does anybody know if a similar option that compresses down smaller so that I could leave them in the pack all the time and use them when needed?

JjamesIII

WKR
Anyone have experience with these boot covers? I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes which are 400 gram. I go and whitetail hunt with family in Michigan every year and am wondering if the boot covers will give me enough insulation with the Kenetreks to avoid having to buy a set of 1200 gram pack boots just for whitetail sits.
They are great- especially if you add a toe warmer. Put them on before you need them. As soon as you get set on your stand. They are noisy when you shift your feet, so archery hunting plan to be in shooting position as soon as deer approach.

TSAMP

WKR
If its cold enough for me to use Artic shields then I also have a hand muff around my waist. I stuff the boots into that and head to my stands. They each roll up into about the size of a Subway sandwich. They work.