Are 12x binos to much

Are 12x binos to much glass for your walk around binos. I don't carry a spotter live in Wyoming and do Cary a tripod to glass off of but I am wondering if there too much to handhold and lug around in a bino harness

10x42’s are about as heavy as I want to go, when using them all day for days on end. A good harness helps, but much bigger is, well just a bigger size on your chest. I guess for me it’s a combo of size and weight, and the 10x42’s are just right .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
I think yes, I can pick up game better with 8s
Every shiver or gust of wind gets magnified through 12s without a rest for my eyes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Blue72

WKR
I think when it comes to 12x everybody is different. I was surprised how stable 12x binoculars are. Not as stable as my 7x or even 8x...but pretty close to 10x stability.....they don’t have the big picture views that 15x and up binoculars have. But for me 12x don’t have the shakes either.

The real big issue is that the view is close to 10x, so you ask yourself is it worth the reduction of FOV

But only you can really decide that

I carry 12’s all the time. Work awesome for me. I use off of a tripod if glassing. But I will hand hold
Them as well

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I carry 12x as well. Starting out sheep hunting in AK with as small light weight 8x and after 1 hunt of borrowing my buddies 12x I quickly made the switch. In open country I like 12s.

I prefer the stability and field of view of an 8-10x over a 12. And for pure tripod use I want more magnification. Currently using 15s but have been looking at stepping to an 18x.

DavePwns

WKR
I love my 12s, they are no problem hand holding to check something out and use the brim of my hat to stabilize, however they will force you to use a tripod for longer than 10 min of glassing which is a good thing in my opinion.

Basically -
8s - Light weight, Nimble, Great hand holding, perfect for still hunting(7s are best) , however tougher to spot animals > a mile
10s - Great for all around use
12s - outstanding on a tripod, as big as you would want to hand hold, not too big for chest carry IMO

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Hate my 12's unless on a tripod. Wish I had bought 8's or 10's. Will replace for next season.

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have 12x's as my standard bino glass and feel that I almost always want to use a rest of some sort. 15x's would almost require a tripod.