“Are alpha worth it?” How I answered it for me (answering?) Swaro, Zeiss, GPO…Maven

svivian

Well Known Rokslider
I just got my NL pures this spring straight from swaro and it came with a lifetime warranty card. when i registered it was also for lifetime.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

Well Known Rokslider
Well that’s far better. And I’m certainly not one to argue with someone who bought them and got different info first hand!

The discrepancy is odd. Maybe the “change” was for something else, region, or there was a change back that went unnoticed.

Either way, if Swaro has a lifetime warranty that’s good enough for me.

Bailer

Well Known Rokslider
Spend a full day glassing (on a tripod) from before dawn to after legal light. Does that change your findings?
It did for me. I bought some used gpo 12.5’s that seemed pretty good in casual use. Less good on a long day looking for deer in the desert. For me it was the lack of depth of field that made them too much work to use. Constantly adjusting the focus, and when more than one ridge is in the field of view one will be out of focus. El’s are much better in that situation. I’m sure others I haven’t tried would also work.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

Well Known Rokslider
Welp. Got my hands on some NL’s today in 10x42 by accident. Had to drive a while to find an archery shop, and guess who’s also a Swaro dealer. No chance to actually test or anything, but they did have a part of the USAF resolution chart on the wall. Convenient.

For the first 5 minutes I *hated* the ergonomics. I couldn’t figure out a way to hold them with the barrel shape. Then I did. Basically with my hands the most comfy place is to brace my thumbs on the opposite barrel. Also, of all of the things I didn’t notice before, the FOV stands out. Unfortunately for me, I really liked them. This may never end 😂

Shraggs

Well Known Rokslider
ZEISS makes great optics like the others, I can say that their warranty response has not been close to the others in my experience with swaro and meopta. I had my bino fl’s serviced, 2 failed scopes and the new rf programming bug. In every case ultimately they solved or serviced and made good on the problem. The pattern has been: dismissing me/product has an issue, forcing me to escalate rank to move past denial and massive delays in execution.

My ZEISS binos are different from my swaro - but both great alphas. I would still buy another ZEISS bino absolutely, I believe a low failure probability product class. Never ever a scope.

Swaro and the others are not immune to something failing or breaking by a user but my process for fixing was like clock work and no hassle or challenge to me to prove i need help from the manufacturer.

Reactions: WRO

Gone4Days

Well Known Rokslider
The best part of Swaros is they hold value and if you decide to sell, you can off load them in a day.

Well Known Rokslider
The best part of Swaros is they hold value and if you decide to sell, you can off load them in a day.
I agree with this and while I have my gear to use, it's a nice little financial insurance policy should the need arise. I currently own Maven and they take a beating on the resale market, losing around 1/3 (depending on specific product) of initial retail cost.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

Well Known Rokslider

No doubt in that! Zeiss seems to be the same, at least with the Victory. (I can’t make sense of the Leica range and nomenclature, so no idea.)

Mpw20

Agreed on your assessment of low/no light. I’ve hunted with the alphas you mentioned and almost alphas (Steiner etc) down to regular field grade leupold and bushnell. On scopes and binoculars If counting antler points is something required of you (like me in nw pa) the alphas give me almost daylight clarity first to last legal light in thick woods during rifle season.