Are Berger failures real?

Super tag

WKR
180gr hybrid went through both front shoulders on a bull at 515 yards, stuck in the hide, retention was impressive.

Numerous 168 VLD one shot deer kills, well past 500 yards

I have read a lot of negative but never seen it myself, I wouldn’t use anything but Berger. Been using them for years in all my rifles, once you find the right load, they’re hard to beat, my experience

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From 100 to 1100 yards everything has died from 180 VLD at 3050 fps muzzle velocity out of my rifle. It comes down to proper shot placement, IMO.

I bet a lot of other bullets would have killed too. I am convinced that bad shooters make “bad bullets” more than the bullet companies. It’s easier to blame a bullet than yourself.

mje1013

FNG
Darn phone put 'Ross' where should been tips. Does anyone still clean the tips of the VLDs and if so, when and what do you use?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Darn phone put 'Ross' where should been tips. Does anyone still clean the tips of the VLDs and if so, when and what do you use?
I just look at them, but a small wire drill bit is what I hear guys are using. I've never seen one I felt like I needed to mess with.

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
I run a small wire drill to make sure there open on any ammo that I take hunting, for target practice I don't worry about it.

MattB

WKR
My buddy had one blow up in a hard quartering away shot on an aoudad. He got another shot on it hours later and killed it so was able to see what the 1st bullet did - blew up with minimal penetration. 200ish yards with either a 7MM SAUM or .284.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My buddy had one blow up in a hard quartering away shot on an aoudad. He got another shot on it hours later and killed it so was able to see what the 1st bullet did - blew up with minimal penetration. 200ish yards with either a 7MM SAUM or .284.
I have seen the rare report of that and have seen a couple pictures. Not enough to make me worry, and the ones I have seen were extreme velocity inside 100 yards, over 3150 fps. Surprised it did that at 200ish.

Do you know what bullet and what muzzle velocity?

amassi

WKR
Does anyone have any experience with using the VLDs on moose or grizzlies?
Old episodes of best of the west did. Who knows what was left in the cutting room floor though

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

rootacres

WKR
I think most of the reported "failures" with these bullets are a result of one of two things or combo of both. First, there are people that when unsuccessful or after having an unfortunate experience immediate want to pass blame onto something instead of someone. Second, managing expectations is important. If you have the wrong tool for the job then you leave a window open for disappointment.

Bergers are happier in heavy for caliber applications with moderate impact velocities. When you factor in the game being hunted and the limitations of the bullet there has to be a balance. Some struggle with that.

The monos I shoot are slightly lighter for caliber and I ramp up the speed some. The Bergers I shoot out of the same rifle are 25 grs heavier and come out at ~200 fps slower. That seems to be the happy spot for each projectile based on my experience on game in the field.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
In between developing other loads with the LRX and soon the hammers I’ve been shooting the 140 Berger VLD out of my 6.5x284 at 2950 fps. The accuracy and BC is hard to beat, only have two kills from last year. One mule deer buck at 70 yards and one bull elk bedded at 510 yards through the neck. Bull never moved, buck ran off 20 yards or so and fell over. I was surprised that the bullets didn’t explode like I read about everywhere but they held together well and caused the right about of damage. I’m shooting them again this year on several deer hunts and one more elk hunt, but I plan on going back to the LRX or hammers after this year because I like copper for various reasons.

bgipson

FNG
In between developing other loads with the LRX and soon the hammers I’ve been shooting the 140 Berger VLD out of my 6.5x284 at 2950 fps. The accuracy and BC is hard to beat, only have two kills from last year. One mule deer buck at 70 yards and one bull elk bedded at 510 yards through the neck. Bull never moved, buck ran off 20 yards or so and fell over. I was surprised that the bullets didn’t explode like I read about everywhere but they held together well and caused the right about of damage. I’m shooting them again this year on several deer hunts and one more elk hunt, but I plan on going back to the LRX or hammers after this year because I like copper for various reasons.
You've got nothing to worry about with that bullet. My cousin had those loaded in his .260AI for years and we've (him, myself, our family, and friends) probably harvested close to 100 animals with that rifle. Most have been doe antelope but there's a fair share of elk, mule deer, and whitetail mixed in as well.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
Man.....I've shot truckloads of animals with bergers, 140gr up to 230gr. I've never had a berger bullet failure. I was shooting bergers when nobody knew what they were. Not saying it can't happen because I'm sure quality control has bad days here and there. Used them on whitetail/pigs/exotics/large african game.

My personal opinion....I prefer a bullet to penetrate then come apart in the animal releasing all energy, way more traumatic then a pass through shot. You won't get as good of a blood trail but in my experience it won't be needed.