Are Berger failures real?

The Nosler ABLR, Hornady ELDX, or Sierra Gamekings would all be good at 800 yards. A lot of people praise the Barnes bullets, but I have seen them have problems not expanding on African game inside 300 yards.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The Nosler ABLR, Hornady ELDX, or Sierra Gamekings would all be good at 800 yards. A lot of people praise the Barnes bullets, but I have seen them have problems not expanding on African game inside 300 yards.

These threads are always interesting. You could not pay me to shoot an ABLR at an elk at 800 yards. Very Inconsistent IME. I've never used the other two at LR.

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
Isn't it wonderful to live at such a great time and in such a wonderful country to have so many choices.

If you shoot/guide/hunt with others long enough, you're going to find reasons to not shoot any of the bullets mentioned. The only bullet that I have not seen come undone in the wrong way is a Nosler Partition. The downside of Partitions in my experience is that they are not as accurate as almost all of the others. So I stick with whichever bullet is the most accurate in the rifle that I am using and I try to use a heavy for caliber bullet and then put it in the right place.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn’t use Berger bullets even if they gave them to me and paid me to shoot them. They do not perform consistently. There are just way too many good bullets out there to take the gamble.

Man, I would use them if they paid me. Come to think of it, hell, I would use them if they didn't pay me.

Randy

ckleeves

WKR

ABLR’s have to be about the most inconsistent bullet in existence. You can get anywhere from FMJ to V-MAX expansion depending on what day of the week they were made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
ABLR’s have to be about the most inconsistent bullet in existence. You can get anywhere from FMJ to V-MAX expansion depending on what day of the week they were made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or point blank 410 shotgun expansion 2” of penetration on a goat shoulder, money back guarantee that can happen!

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Berger Users,

Are you concerned about the tip deformation from cycling a round from mag to chamber? I shoot the 190 VLD's in my 300 WSM and find the tip deforms slightly every time. It is consistent and accurate but I do worry about how it affects expansion.

I shot a dandy Muley buck at 60 yards, my shot was true but the bullet separated inside the cavity into two pieces, one exiting between the shoulders through the right backstrap and the other through the sternum and diaphragm area. I knew this was a common result in high velocity impacts with the Berger VLD, but this was my first personal experience with it.
IMG_2587.jpeg

Also shot a doe at 300 yards and had pencil hole entrance and golf ball exit, so...
IMG_2707.jpegIMG_2708.jpeg

Thinking of switching to the 178 ELDM for a little more confidence in tip deformity and pick up a little speed. Thoughts?

Berger Users,

Are you concerned about the tip deformation from cycling a round from mag to chamber? I shoot the 190 VLD's in my 300 WSM and find the tip deforms slightly every time. It is consistent and accurate but I do worry about how it affects expansion.

I shot a dandy Muley buck at 60 yards, my shot was true but the bullet separated inside the cavity into two pieces, one exiting between the shoulders through the right backstrap and the other through the sternum and diaphragm area. I knew this was a common result in high velocity impacts with the Berger VLD, but this was my first personal experience with it.
View attachment 144014

Also shot a doe at 300 yards and had pencil hole entrance and golf ball exit, so...
View attachment 144015View attachment 144016

Thinking of switching to the 178 ELDM for a little more confidence in tip deformity and pick up a little speed. Thoughts?

Sounds like a feeding/magazine problem. Many times the feed ramp in a factory action is to steep for long VLD type bullets. You can notch and smooth/lessen the feed ramp for better feeding also.
Have you tried the 215s? They are excellent on game. The 190s are good also. I wouldn’t switch to the ELD.
Ive had similar results with the ABLR being very inconsistent.

Chick

FNG
The furthest shot I have had in the last 10 years, was a coyote at 287 yards, so I am not too worried about long range. The 2 Berger failures I had were at a tad shy of 100 yards and 150 yards. I have never had any failures with Sierra, Hornady or Nosler. I was told by one man, to try the Berger. Not even sure why I did, except I am always hunting for that accuracy edge. Never again.

mt100gr.

WKR
The furthest shot I have had in the last 10 years, was a coyote at 287 yards, so I am not too worried about long range. The 2 Berger failures I had were at a tad shy of 100 yards and 150 yards. I have never had any failures with Sierra, Hornady or Nosler. I was told by one man, to try the Berger. Not even sure why I did, except I am always hunting for that accuracy edge. Never again.
Which berger bullet? From which cartridge? And approximate impact velocity? Also, please explain the symptoms of the failures. Thanks!

Chick

FNG
Look at my post #156. 7mm08. No expansion. Velocity 2850. 140 gr VLD

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

If you are shooting game exclusively at 300 yards and in, why use a LR bullet?

I like Barnes TTSX for those kinds of ranges.

Berger’s are for going past MPBR. Not saying Berger’s don’t work closer, they certainly have for me, but that isn’t where they are at their best, IMO.

sveltri

WKR
I shot two does this weekend with 115 vld's from a .257 Wby Mag. One at 180ish yds and one at 298. Both animals had two holes in them and died very quickly. That bullet has worked well for me.

jonboatjockey

Lil-Rokslider
I lost a bull elk to Barnes TTSX's a while back, almost lost a WT buck too same year. These were ~200 yard shots with a 30-06. They never expanded, found that out after recovering the deer after 3 shots. I've had great success with Bergers on deer, antelope and elk, little hard on meat, but effective at killing. Haven't been impressed with the ELDX's. Things die, just not as fast as I think they should with well placed shots.

mje1013

FNG
I’m REALLY LATE to the thread. I just bought a 28 Nosler and the 180 VLD was recommended. Does anyone have any updates on whether the Berger bullets are still performing well? Also wondering if Ross should be cleaned on brand new ammo or just older rounds. Tia

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I’m REALLY LATE to the thread. I just bought a 28 Nosler and the 180 VLD was recommended. Does anyone have any updates on whether the Berger bullets are still performing well? Also wondering if Ross should be cleaned on brand new ammo or just older rounds. Tia

Majority of the latest reviews are all positive. There’s always those with negative experiences with anything online. I mainly hunt with copper bullets but when I shoot my 140 Berger VLD they are very lethal on deer and elk.