Are calls a valid technique for hunting antlerless?

ROTCatCU

FNG
Hello, like the title says, is there any utility or strategy using elk calls for cow elk? Thanks!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Which season? For bow season......absolutely. I hunt cows very similarly as I do bulls.......with my bugle. But regardless what you use, you still want to know what you're doing with them and why.

OP
R

ROTCatCU

FNG
Thanks for the replies. How about cow calls and calf calls? This would be for muzzleloader.

OP
R

ROTCatCU

FNG
Thanks for the video, I'll check it out. Just what I'm looking for!

Definitely! I cow call when walking through the woods and have also called cows into wallows. They get curious.

Another technique when we've bumped a herd that scatters but they didn't get a good sight/smell of us is a frantic lost calf call. They'll come back highly alert so drop back and put your friend in front of you 30-40 yards to make the shot

cnelk

WKR
Here’s another cow I called in.
I already filled my cow tag

Tree stands can be deadly

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Probably more effective for cows than for bulls honestly. Esp during early fall- cows are still curious. Bulls are on guard and protective, often take the herd and head away from calls to protect their harem.

Get good at cow calling esp august and early sept before full rut, great for both bulls and cows.

Elk are social animals. Cows respond well to calling. I have had cows respond and come in to both cow calling and bugling.

npm352

WKR
Yes. I have called in cows on Aug 30 and called in cows during CO 3rd rifle. And in between. They are a social animal.