Are camo pants important?

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I need to refresh my hunting pant and was thinking of going with a non-hunting company such as kuhl.

for big game trad archery how important are camo pants?

thanks - m

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Despite the lack of constructive feedback I’ve received from animals, I’d say no. Killed a turkey at 10 paces last week wearing $20 Eddie Bauer (edit: Costco) green pants and Camo softshell top. Camo pants can’t hurt though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok...Ok... fine when I do have to wear pants... the Walmart , Wrangler outdoor cargo $22 pants are REAL hard to beat!

I have them and like them a lot, with the caveat that they aren't the perfect choice for getting in trad range of animals with good hearing. Not awful, but not as good as, say, a well broken in pair of jeans.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Depends where you are. Conditions. What you are hunting. Etc.

I’ve stalked into bow range of many different critters wearing blue jeans. With that said I do run camo for most of my hunting clothing, especially when stalking in close to animals. Breaking up the silhouette does work, but it only goes as far as your stalking skills will take you.

What’s more important than camo for me is how quiet the pants are. The best quiet pants aren’t always ideal for certain weather conditions though, so having multiple clothing systems in place is ideal for me.

Boot covers, stalking sandals, or a second pair of thick socks are always in the pack as well for me.

Snyder talks up the prAna zion pants a fair bit. I've never used them but my camo hunting pants are getting pretty worn so I'll likely go with the zions next, just to try something different.

I don't believe the camo is as important as some people believe, but I also like to wear camo because I feel like I need all the help I can get.

Snyder talks up the prAna zion pants a fair bit. I've never used them but my camo hunting pants are getting pretty worn so I'll likely go with the zions next, just to try something different.

I don't believe the camo is as important as some people believe, but I also like to wear camo because I feel like I need all the help I can get.
I like the zions, looking to try the Costco pants in the near future

I believe in breaking up your outline/pattern. Just my opinion. That said, I've killed/helped the harvest of lots of animals dressed head to toe in the latest and greatest camo (Verde, Vias, Open Country, Subalpine). I've also been wearing a carhart and nfr jeans or BDU's.

This year I'm going in all earth tones. Different colors though. Lighter greens and grays. If your stalk is blown by the camo pattern of your pants, then you have a whole lot of other issues going on. Just my .02

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
That Phelps guy just released a video of him killing a bull with a bow he called in solo, while he was wearing a hulk hogan bandana and the old past his prime red and yellow hulkimania tights....... one could argue camo anything is over rated all together

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
As I suspected. I can get a better fitting pant when I have more options. The quiet part for mullies might be a challenge.

thanks

Solid pants, Camo top. Perfect breakup for treestand hunting. I do both, Camo top and bottom and solid bottom Camo top. Haven’t seen a difference between the two. On a sunny day, solid brown pants look awesome with all of the shadows created from the sun. Looks very natural in a woods.

ledflight

WKR
When you start searching for quiet outside clothing, it seems like the results skew towards hunters, and a lot of camo.
Pure wool and fleece both very quiet, but they don't apply to all levels of brush or temp.