Are Caribou Game Bags really worth the hype?

wseidel

WKR
We've packed out six elk so far with my Caribou game bags (same set for all six animals) and they are still going strong. According to my research, they were the best ones available when I purchased them in 2010 but my sense is that there are likely many more good quality game bags available now. That said, the axiom still holds, "Buy once, cry once". In all seriousness, we're not talking about a serious expense on this item especially if you amortize them over many seasons plus you can occasionally find them on sale or in the classifieds on this site. Hope this helps...

I've owned a set of Caribou Game Bags (Muley set) for about 2.5 years, and in that time I estimate that I've used them on at least 30 or 40 animals, probably more. They still seem like new, to be honest. I just put them through the washing machine and they're good to go again.

5 years and counting on mine... 4 elk and 1 deer in them. Wash and ready to go again. I guess time will tell if they were worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brk007

FNG
Aside from the higher quality material and keeping meat cleaner than cheaper product, kinda cheesy - but I also like the nostalgia of reusing bags year after year.

LostArra

WKR
Considering the fact that extended length pillow cases work just fine as game bags (yes, reusable) I think it's all personal preference in how you spend $ and not necessarily hype but just additional features like draw strings.

Nutsknr

FNG
Camofire has the BlackOvis bags on their site.

I have deer and elk bags. I think the deer are $37 and elk $54 for a set.

I can’t speak to Caribou bags.

I feel for what I spent it was worth it.

rayporter

WKR
my bud has tag bags and i have caribou bags that are more than 11 years old. cant tell the difference in them and mine have packed out elk, bou, deer and moose. you might find a nick or two in mine because they have been used often. snagged on bone or branches etc. i cant speak for his since he dont use them much and i haven't seen them recently.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Gas, tags, weapons, boots, packs, knives, shelters, sleeping bags/pads, etc...

Spending $40-70 to protect my meat from dirt and maggots is a drop in the bucket from all my other hunting expenses. You get many many years of use it of them which makes the "expense" even easier to justify.

YES, they (any synthetic game bag) are worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
They are extremely light weight, one of the biggest pluses for your backpack, and pack down to a small size.
We also use some canvas game bags and have had some for many years as well. They hold well, less easy to tear, but weigh more and are bulky. The caribou or tag bags are used for packing out and the canvas bags for when we hunt closer to a vehicle.

MtnMuley

WKR
I like to support Prestine Ventures and TAGs because he was the first to come out with these style bags and runs a good business.

TheGDog

WKR
Don't know about the Caribou bags, but for me with the Kifaru Meat Bags, those things are sooo much nicer than those Alaska Game Bags. The Kifaru ones remind me of tent fabric, super lightweight and strong. And I like how they shape the meat to fit in a nice column in the pack, so they weight rides nice.

With those stretchy Alaskan GameBags... the meats wants to just squash down and become a big blob at the bottom of the bag. Somebody told me with those you gotta make several knots at sections along the bag to have the meat be supported in a column. PITA. I still bring one of those bags for the head and hide though. It's easier for that. And ziptie the stretchy bag material around the antlers to keep it closed.

But yeah... very glad I switched to those thin light meat bags. The Alaskan Game Bags weigh an appreciable amount.

wapitibob

WKR
No idea how many years ago I gagged on the price at sportsmans when buying them and have loved them ever since. Elk and multiple antelope every year. Toss in the front loader with a dash of vinegar and they come out fresh as a spring day. They vacuum seal down to almost nothing for inclusion into the kill kit.
The "con"; bloody muscle can bond to the bag better than super glue when the blood saturates the fabric. It can be a real bitch if you let it go too long, as in chunks of meat getting pulled out of the muscle.

No idea how many years ago I gagged on the price at sportsmans when buying them and have loved them ever since. Elk and multiple antelope every year. Toss in the front loader with a dash of vinegar and they come out fresh as a spring day. They vacuum seal down to almost nothing for inclusion into the kill kit.
The "con"; bloody muscle can bond to the bag better than super glue when the blood saturates the fabric. It can be a real bitch if you let it go too long, as in chunks of meat getting pulled out of the muscle.
This 👆🏿

Elk_eatr

FNG
Did you end up going with the caribou bags? I’m on my 5th or 6th season with them and they are still holding up great