Are Caribou Game Bags really worth the hype?

Randy from https://pristineventures.com/products/t-a-g-bags-2 is about all the experience I have had with game bags. First set did 3 elk then started coming apart after washing in the machine. I called Pristine Ventures, Randy answered, I told him what was going on and he sent me a brand new set, he didnt even want the old ones back. New set still going strong and has 4 elk on them. Good as it gets...

Caribou bags were worth it for me. Huge step up from Alaska bags, and only about $40 bucks more for a set.

Lighter, smaller in the pack, no more fly eggs or dirt on my meat, can hang the whole quarter from the bag, and you can wash them in a bucket w/ a little vinegar in camp and they dry in no time.

Other companies' high-end bags are probably just as good as Caribou; at this rate, though, it'll be a long time before I find out.

Clarktar

WKR
Randy from https://pristineventures.com/products/t-a-g-bags-2 is about all the experience I have had with game bags. First set did 3 elk then started coming apart after washing in the machine. I called Pristine Ventures, Randy answered, I told him what was going on and he sent me a brand new set, he didnt even want the old ones back. New set still going strong and has 4 elk on them. Good as it gets...
Yep, tag bags for the win. Randy or Larry??

I've had two elk, about a dozen deer and one bear in my tag bags. Zero issues.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You know, Randy came to mind when I wrote it but something felt like I was off after I posted. I imagine Larry was who I spoke with and I likely misspoke, its been a few years now...

I've used mine for the first time this year on a muley, so far I don't see what the hype is about but I might change my tune in a few years if they are still going strong.

Dorny

FNG
I like mine a lot. have used them only a few times, and never used any others though.

Fallow120

FNG
Reading this I’m thinking I might get some high quality bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I prefer the lightweight Alaska game bags to the very heavy Caribou game bags. The Caribou bags has nice features, but in the end just too dang heavy for me to tote a set around.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
They are built very well, I have been using the same bags for past 3 years. It shows no signs of wear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a set up last year for use on a hot early season elk hunt. 4 Caribou brand elk size bags took up less room and weighed less than 1 of my old bags.

Got a bull and tested the bags out. Very impressed. No rips or tears after a long night of packing. Once back at camp and the quarters were on ice, I creek washed the bags and nearly all the blood rinsed out. Hung the bags and they were dry at first light a few hours later.

ridgefire

WKR
I have had the same Caribou bags for probably 7 or 8 years now and packed out many elk quarters with them and they still work great. It's really nice to not have to worry about fly blow or dirt getting on my meat. Throw them in the wash when done and they are ready for the next use. Imo, money well spent.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good bags are worth it as noted, those stretchy bags are horrible imho. I've had a couple caribou mildew on me but I don't know why as they were dry and stored with others that didn't, sent them an email but never heard back. Still have others though. I do a dawn dish soap in bucket cleaning before they get tossed into the mashing machine, the washing machine doesn't cut fat residue (if relevant) well. They clean up a bit better that way. Tag, caribou, black ovis, argali, kuiu, etc. all have similar tighter woven light weight bags that actually protect the meat comparted to the stretchy ones.

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I have beat the crap out of my caribou bags, everything you're not supposed to do with them I have done, ie. Hang them by the closure cord, way over loaded, strapped them to well pretty much anything. I have not had a failure yet, the only problem is if you have a buddy that has sub quality bags and you load up yours odds are you will not get them back.

BDWMT

FNG
I can’t compare to other quality bags but the TAG bags are smart money over the standard cheap ones I’ve used prior. All the cheap ones are disposable. I have many seasons and many miles full of elk, moose, deer, antelope, and caribou on mine. Good investment. Drop them in a bucket of bleach water, rinse and wash and back in your pack.

I get a kick out of this thread title.

What's to "hype"? They're a synthetic fabric pillow case with a drawstring. Pretty straightforward. Buy fabric and sew some up if they "seem overpriced".

Ive used caribou game bags for the last 5 years. Bought 3 different sizes and all are still going strong! Have had antelope, deer, bear and elk in them!