Are CO elk being pushed to hard during the rut?

I'm sure this is unit and area dependent but have any of you seen that during September, CO elk get bumped and pushed too much to have an effective breeding cycle?
Co has already moved several OTC units to draw and after talking with a CPW officer it sounds like it may happen again. It was stated to me that the area was "swamped" with people during archery.
On the first day of 2nd rifle this year I watched a bull chasing a cow with his nose up her rear, then he let out a loud clear bugle. This seems very unusual to me especially with season being later than previous years.

I’m not a biologist, I’m an outfitter. I’ve chased elk for a long long time. My opinion is are they getting pressured hell yes they are. There’s a lot more people in the woods and NO I’m not just blaming hunters… recreational hikers, mountain bikers, leaf peepers, all have just as much effect on the animals. As far as them not breeding cause of it no, I do not think that hunters are keeping them from breeding. If a bull has a hot cow he’s gonna get her bred, I’ve seen bulls chasing cows, get bumped by a person run across the mountain and then get right back to business. They’re gonna get it done whether it’s morning, mid day or night.

Personally I believe the biggest decline in elk numbers is aborted calves during the winter months due to so much winter recreation and loss of winter habitat, as well as predation at calving times.

If you see herds of elk that live on private land year round and the number of calves they have each year compared to elk that don’t have that luxury it’s completely different. Past few years I’ve watched a herd on a private ranch that they never get chased off of ever, year one I was seeing around 90% cows having calves, now the herd is getting to big for the private ranch and calf numbers seem to be less, but I believe that’s due to habitat sustainability. In my wild herds I have watched it’s probably 10% of cows having calves on their side by hunting season….. these are the elk that used to go to lower meadows and stuff but can’t now cause it’s been sub divided

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I would agree that winter range loss is the biggest issue coupled with harassment during winter (unintentional from recreationists).

Unless the daylight hours in the day change in September, the elk will rut at the same time every year. Hunting pressure annoys them, but no one is in the woods at night to see them get it on.

Jeremy

Shed hunters contribute to the harassment too.

Even tho youre 'not supposed to start' until May 1, we all know what guys are doing....

Completely agree, they go out “hiking” cause that’s legal, I have found stash piles in the woods before the “season”.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Completely agree, they go out “hiking” cause that’s legal, I have found stash piles in the woods before the “season”.

If you truly find stash piles you should mark them on your GPS and call Fish And Game. I bet they would love to be out there opening morning at daybreak when somebody happens to walk straight to those.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Shed hunters contribute to the harassment too.

Even tho youre 'not supposed to start' until May 1, we all know what guys are doing....
I found a ton of bulls in February of this winter on a hike. I backed out to not disturb them and came back opening morning to find a couple sheds. Of course there was not an elk shed to be found anywhere! Plenty of tracks in the snow but no sheds. They must have all gotten drug off by rodents.

You’re not allowed to sell wild game meat, I would love to see them pass a law that you’re not allowed to sell big game antlers as well. It’s amazing how sheds bring out the worst in people!

sndmn11

WKR
From my poor reading skills, it seems that the areas where the elk population is claimed to be in decline are also areas where bear B tags are a thing.