Are Crispi Wild Rock Boots waterproof? I have read in numerous places that Crispi boot are water repellent not waterproof. Does anybody's leak?

sloper230

FNG
Trying to chose between Crispi Wild Rock and Meindl Comfort Hunter. I have read in many places that Crispi boots leak. They are water repellent, not waterproof. Does any body have any experience with these brands?

ljalberta

WKR
Both use a goretex membrane to waterproof the boot. These membranes can and do break down over time. You can help prolong the water-proof life of your boot with consistent cleaning and boot treatment.

If and when the membrane does break down, goretex may warranty the boot provided it's within the normal lifespan of the boot.

I would put zero stock in the idea that Crispi boots leak more or less than any other brand using a goretex membrane and manufacturing similar style boots.

Welcome to Rokslide.

In my experience, boots that use nubuck leather, rather than full grain leather tend to leak sooner. This is despite both using a Gore Tex membrane. Also, if there are any areas of this synthetic fabric in the upper, you will be much more likely to develop leaks through the Gore Tex.

Nearly all of the Crispi boots use Nubuck, thus they tend to leak sooner than a boot such as a Scarpa or Lowa with full grain. The Nubuck does not hold a waterproofing wax nearly as well and they will wet out and absorb much more water.

For example, while I love my Briksdal SF’s for the performance and comfort aspects, they wet out really quickly and also develop leaks on the stretchy tongue gusset, far too easily due to small rocks, sticks etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Rubber boots are water proof...leather and synthetic boots are water resistant... to what extent depends on quality of materials (type of leather, grade of gore tex etc.)

Wrench

WKR
I have the wild rocks as well as the lowa, meindl, hoffmans, asolo and la sportiva...

They all do what they're supposed to....

Right up till they dont.

My wild rocks do better in uber wet than the others, but that's because they're taller. They all breathe about the same. Once the liner is compromised, it's game over.

The good news is Gore will stand behind the product.

fwafwow

WKR
In my experience, boots that use nubuck leather, rather than full grain leather tend to leak sooner. This is despite both using a Gore Tex membrane. Also, if there are any areas of this synthetic fabric in the upper, you will be much more likely to develop leaks through the Gore Tex.

Nearly all of the Crispi boots use Nubuck, thus they tend to leak sooner than a boot such as a Scarpa or Lowa with full grain. The Nubuck does not hold a waterproofing wax nearly as well and they will wet out and absorb much more water.

For example, while I love my Briksdal SF’s for the performance and comfort aspects, they wet out really quickly and also develop leaks on the stretchy tongue gusset, far too easily due to small rocks, sticks etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Wild Rock GTX boots are full grain - https://www.crispius.com/wild-rock-gtx-boot

4rcgoat

WKR
I have a pair of Crispi crossover lights that have 2 years and a ton of mountain miles on them,i can honestly say i dont think they have ever leaked......im also not standing in puddles.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
HANWAGS!! WCB said it best. Only truly totally waterproof boot is Rubber/ That being said, a high quality boot will increase its ability to stay dry . HAd a set of Meindills, no leaks.. until there was

HANWAGS have neem amazing but i hear that Crispi also makes a good boot

sargent

WKR
I've had a pair for a little over a year and they have not leaked. I've put them through some serious "testing" too! We'll see how they hold up as time goes on. I also have a pair of Crispi Lapponias that are over three years old and they are still waterproof.

Drenalin

WKR
My Crispí Summits haven’t leaked in the two years I’ve had them, knock on wood. I have other issues with the boot, but that hasn’t been one of them.

Johbran

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a pair of Wild Rocks and they have been solid performers this season, comfortable and dry. I assume if I take care of them they will stay that way for many years.

Wrench

WKR
My advice is to find a quality maker who has the flex/stiffness and features you desire and that fit YOUR FEET well.

There's not a lot of difference in quality between good makers, but they each have niches.

I like lowa eyelets. I like la sportiva weight, I like crispi insulation....etc.

Firehawk

WKR
Any leather, if not kept clean and treated, will eventually absorb water. Then it is up to the membrane to keep the water out. Rarely, have I ever had a boot, properly cared for, break down before the goretex bootie inside. And remember, it is vitally important to wash the inside of your boots on occasion as well. This helps make sure the membrane is clean and can breathe like it is supposed to do. Dry them out properly, put your insole back in, and treat your uppers with the proper treatment, and they should last a long long time.

The WildRock, is a full grain leather too. It will do a fabulous job of keeping water out of the leather, the Goretex bootie will do the rest.

FH

Depends on fit, both brands are excellent but if you have a narrow foot like me you are out of luck with Meindls; they have a very wide heel. Crispi boots are one of the best boots I have ever worn, they fit like a glove and super comfortable. I have worn Lowa for many decades and tried Meindl as well but Crispi boots are outstanding!

I had the Crispi Hunter, and now have Crispi Wyoming, Wild Rock, and Idaho. I have worn them in all weather conditions, rain, snow, mud, etc . To this date NONE have leaked. I treat them when they are new out the box, then before every season, then after every season. I only use the Crispi product that is recommended for each type boot, spray or creme depending on the outer material.