Are DIY Dehydrated Meals Worth it?

I’d really like to try and do my own dehydrated meals for the backcountry but I started to thing, won’t they cause you to burn way more fuel? I figure you make it at home put it in vacuum seal then dump into your cook pot to cook vs just boiling water then pouring that into the Mountain House Meal Bag, causing you to use less fuel. So by the time you do all the prep work at home then cook it all in the backcountry is it worth it?

I like numerous freeze dried brands and recipes but there’s very few of the recipes that don’t leave me bloated with tons of gas the whole next day. I’d rather not chance a shart while sitting glassing all day haha.

For me it’s totally worth it cause I know exactly what I’m eating, I can make just about any meal I want. It saves me money. For instance, I’ll make a batch of green chili venison and bean burritos for 5$ and I’m able to get 8 dinners out of it. They also sell vacuum seal bags that stand up, foil or heat reflective, and resealable just like freeze dried food bags at the store. Thus allowing you to only use fuel just enough to get water to boil. Instead of cooking in the water wasting more fuel as you are thinking could happen.

I have been making dehydrated jambalaya for about a year. It takes the same amount of boiling water as a mountain house and taste better.

I can also make 4-5 large (bigger than mountain house) servings for about $7 so it is significantly cheaper.

Brendan

WKR
I was able to buy a dehydrator, all of the insulated bags, oxygen absorbers, and make 2 weeks of food for the same cost as buying from someone like Heather's Choice. Mine are in an insulated bag, cook in the bag just like commercial off the shelf options.

Plus - great way to use up ground stuff and shanks that you may not have used and make up some spicy home cooked food for the field.

Just make sure you don't dehydrate a really spicy chili in the house - it's like setting off a canister of bear spray :D

87TT

WKR
Haven't bought or eaten a store bought meal since the 90's. Have the meals in freezer bags and add boiling water and pop them in an insulated cozy. Wait a few minutes and dinner! You can dry just about anything that's not too oily (oil doesn't dry and can get rancid). I do buy some stuff like Ova Easy eggs and some bulk meats. Some tips are pre cook any pasta before drying. Use leftovers from dinner at home like spaghetti. Just try them at home before you go. I have even freeze dried ketchup.

I was able to buy a dehydrator, all of the insulated bags, oxygen absorbers, and make 2 weeks of food for the same cost as buying from someone like Heather's Choice. Mine are in an insulated bag, cook in the bag just like commercial off the shelf options.

Plus - great way to use up ground stuff and shanks that you may not have used and make up some spicy home cooked food for the field.

Just make sure you don't dehydrate a really spicy chili in the house - it's like setting off a canister of bear spray :D

Do you do anything different when making the chili for dehydration than you do if you’re just making it from home? I’ve been wanting to try this next.

I like numerous freeze dried brands and recipes but there’s very few of the recipes that don’t leave me bloated with tons of gas the whole next day. I’d rather not chance a shart while sitting glassing all day haha.

For me it’s totally worth it cause I know exactly what I’m eating, I can make just about any meal I want. It saves me money. For instance, I’ll make a batch of green chili venison and bean burritos for 5$ and I’m able to get 8 dinners out of it. They also sell vacuum seal bags that stand up, foil or heat reflective, and resealable just like freeze dried food bags at the store. Thus allowing you to only use fuel just enough to get water to boil. Instead of cooking in the water wasting more fuel as you are thinking could happen.
What kind of heat reflective stand up vacuum bags do you get? I don't think I've ever seen those.

KBC

WKR
A pretty easy way to set up meals that I do is dehydrate the ingredients individually. I get a bag of mixed frozen veggies, a bag of frozen broccoli and whatever other veggies you want from Costco and dehydrate the whole bag. Then dehydrate whatever meat you want usually ground something or the canned chicken from Costco dehydrated and rehydrates pretty good.
Then dump whatever combo of stuff you want in a bag, toss in a bouillon cube of whatever flavour you want and vacuum seal it with the ingredients wrapped in a paper towel so they don’t puncture the bag.
when you rehydrate it add some olive oil or other fat and there you have a healthy meal.

KBC

WKR
Most of the meals I make end up a little soupy or stew like but you can ad dehydrated pasta sauce to mix up the flavours a bit. I’ve found it does take more water and more fuel but I feel so much better after a meal than I do after mountain house.

JoeDirt

WKR
I tried dehydrating some of my favorite meals but they never tasted right afterwards. The meat was also chewy....lol

If its just me that i'm feeding I dont mind paying for good freeze dried meals.

What kind of heat reflective stand up vacuum bags do you get? I don't think I've ever seen those.
i found them on amazon in different sizes I think I searched something like “stand up foil vacuum bags”. They aren’t like mountain house bags but they do the job. A cozy is still definitely needed like most dehydrated meals. I know Packit gourmet also sells bags.

Napperm4

WKR
I have been making dehydrated jambalaya for about a year. It takes the same amount of boiling water as a mountain house and taste better.

I can also make 4-5 large (bigger than mountain house) servings for about $7 so it is significantly cheaper.
That sounds extremely good!