Are feathers mandatory or...

1967marti

FNG
Got me a hoyt satori and am looking forward to the learning curve.

What has me stumped is if I can use anything other than feathers? I've found that the target shooters are using magnetic arrow rests and plungers/bumpers to get the accuracy while using plastic veins.

If possible, I'd like to use plastic veins for all the advantages they provide.

Is it better to just deal with the fact that I can only use feathers and learn to shoot off the shelf OR should I get a little setup with a raised riser and plunger? I don't want to get something that's too fragile to use while bush wacking.

OP

1967marti

FNG
AAE makes vanes to be shot off the shelf
I saw Aaron mention them on his joe rogan podcast. Up until now I have just purchased my arrows off the shelf (compound). I dont see any pre-mades using those veins. So I'd have to grab a jig and start making my own. But if using a riser will give me better results and can handle the backcountry, I think I'd rather go that route?

sneaky

"DADDY"
In some situations vanes provide an advantage. In others, feathers do. Shoot both. Don't limit yourself to one or the other.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, I think choosing a rest type and choosing a fletching type are mutually exclusive.

elevated rest vs off the shelf - I would recommend an elevated rest to minimize torque. In compound terms I think shooting off the shelf is like shooting a bow with a 5" brace height and shooting with an elevated rest is like shooting a 7" brace height. For backcountry hunting I'd go with off the shelf or with a simple rest like the NAP Centerest or NAP Centerest Flipper. A plunger and wire rest combination have more moving parts and, therefore, may have more issues.

feathers vs vanes - Either works and both can be shot off the shelf or with an elevated rest, but feathers just make tuning simpler since you don't have to worry about fletch contact. Most arrows sold with vanes use Blazers or other high profile vanes which increase the likelihood of fletch contact so you may have to adjust all your nocks if you go that route. If you don't want to fletch your own arrows and you don't plan on being in the rain a lot, then buy arrows with feathers already attached IMO.

Beendare

WKR
Feathers for off the shelf shooting...they give you the forgiveness you need without a rest.

A rest is a lot more forgiving of arrow spine and fletching choice They are easier to tune too.

___

If you want to use vanes then get a simple elevated rest. That will make arrow tuning easier too since you should be able to adjust your strike plate depth.

Feathers are a lot easier for me to shoot off the shelf. Stiff vanes tend to kick when they contact the shelf causing weird arrow flights.

I prefer feathers but they don't work nearly as well when wet.

dennis502

FNG
This is my first year switching from feathers to the AAE Trad Vanes and I really like them. I won't have to worry about keeping feathers dry this fall- a big plus for me and the way I hunt. I'm shooting them off the shelf with no issues.

You don't need to invest in a jig and fletch them yourself. If your local archery shop doesn't do custom fletching, there are a number of online sources that should....