Are isobutane stoves an option for a bush plane Sheep hunt?

I will be going on an AK sheep hunt this August and am wondering what stove I can bring. I normally use an Isobutane canister stove but I have read that I won't be able to fly in with the isobutane canisters. The pilot says that we can't take any canister that has a DOT number that includes SP (special permit) in it. Am I forced to take a heavy white gas stove?

What have you guys used? Thanks in advance.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I would take the white gas stove. Having hunted and lived in AK for a bit I found that there is a risk with the butane stoves when it gets cold. I parked my canister stoves while I lived there in favor of the MSR international. Plus the ability to burn any flammable liquid is a real plus in some of the remote areas.

Most pilots ignore that rule, but if yours is going to stick by it.... yeah you will need white gas. The weight difference is actually fairly minimal. Stove is certainly heavier, but the fuel containers are a bit lighter. The lightest stove of the bunch is the Simmerlite at about 8.5 oz for stove and pump. Have to find them on EBay though. Otherwise omnilite ti isn't bad either.

I usually go canister in August for the compact convenience, but wouldn't think twice about having to take my Simmerlite or ancient XGK if required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ray

WKR
You could also take an alcohol stove. A titanium stove with an aluminium foil wind break and a bottle of alcohol would be pretty lite. Just slow to use. And you will need more fuel than a white gas stove. The cool thing about a whisper lite gas stove is that you can ask the pilot to fill your bottle from the wing tanks of the plane. Makes actual leaded coffee.

RyanC

WKR
I would say that most sheep hunters use an isobutene canister stove. I have always used canister stoves on my sheep hunts and other drop off hunts. The only time it is an issue is on commercial flights not the flight into the air strip your being dropped at. Double check with your pilot but that seems strange to me that you can't fly into your strip with a canister of isobutene.

You are correct. Most do use canisters. However it's a grey area for aircraft transporters. Technically they shouldn't haul them with passengers. Only actually self enforced by a few. 40 Mile likely the most prominent and well known.

I fly with isobutane for all of my sheep hunts and a couple moose trips as well. The only time I was asked about them was to show a certain certification stamp on a canister. The only one at the time that was certified was the Snow Peak Gigapower fuel. Since then, that's all I've carried and haven't had an issue.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I've been asked to put gas canisters (and bear spray) inside a tightly sealed container before. We usually opt for a thick dry bag rolled tight. I've never had an issue flying with them on charters.

vlad

Banned
a white gas stove is what i use, it last long and easy to control. plus you can use it for years

Daniel_M

WKR
Non-issue with transporters. Commercial operations are the only realm you'll find any problems. I've flown a dozen or so times in the past several years hauling iso around.

Ray

WKR
The issue for most transporters is what type of permit they are operating under. 40 Mile is a real deal airline with a scheduled weekly flight to Fairbanks. There is no way they can take a canister that is not USDOT compliant. Other transporters operate under a different kind of permit and have more latitude. Wright's is another real airline that has to comply with USDOT regulations.

Wrights is who allowed me to fly with the Gigapower fuel. I'd call the transporter before the trip and specifically ask the question so you're not surprised when you arrive.

OP
str8t shootr
I spoke with the transporter and he told me the DOT number cannot have SP in it. I will look into the snow peak canisters.

Last edited: