Are Kifaru,Exo and Stone Glacier that much better?

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
I tested these 3 with 70+ lbs loads before my hunt...MR beartooth on guide LT frame, MR marshal on guide frame and Kifaru cavern on UL frame. I'm 5'10" 160 lbs and very lean. The Marshall sucked under heavy load. The frame and belt would not keep the load from sagging down onto my butt. No matter how tight I cinched the waist belt. I spent alot if time with customer service trying to get it adjusted and making sure it was fit right (exceptional customer service btw). It was painful on hip flexors and back. The beartooth on the new MR frame was worlds better. The belt was a major improvement. Frame was almost identical. I only sold it because I wanted more capacity and modularity the kifaru offered. The kifaru has been the best performer. It stays glued to my back and is rigid enough that really heavy loads dont torque or flex the frame. The MR guide LT frame flexed some with the load which was never really an issue but I personally didnt like the load not being rigidly held to my body. My experience may be specific to me because of my body type.

I really like the kifaru pack's compression straps that suck down the void space when day hunting. Keeps the load tight to the frame.

Just my experience...hope it helps

jog

FNG
... I am not uncomfortable with my Mystery Ranch but when I pack a heavy load I can feel it for sure...

Someone (A. S.) who designs packs for Kifaru mentioned you will feel any load at around (was it 70lbs?) and up no matter what system you run its is not reasonable to expect a pack design to erase weight it can only manage it better so it feels less. I think the fit, as already mentioned, is a big part of it. I am no expert, but that seems to be the overwhelming consensus then its a matter of preference among the high end packs mentioned.

OP
BeaverHunter
Sounds like it’s split whether “stepping up” to a kifaru from my mystery ranch will make a difference. Sounds like some of you think it is a drastic difference and some of you think the mystery ranch is up there with the Kifaru. Tough for me to spend $700+ without having a strong feeling that it will make a decent sized improvement over my existing pack. Especially since I can’t try one on without buying one.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like it’s split whether “stepping up” to a kifaru from my mystery ranch will make a difference. Sounds like some of you think it is a drastic difference and some of you think the mystery ranch is up there with the Kifaru. Tough for me to spend $700+ without having a strong feeling that it will make a decent sized improvement over my existing pack. Especially since I can’t try one on without buying one.
if you do make the dive on kifaru (or any other pack in that class) they hold their value really well. if you hate it, just resale it here in the classifieds.

Tough for me...Especially since I can’t try one on without buying one.
I can vouch that Kifaru customer service is top notch. Call and talk to a person, they actually care. If you tell them you're not buying today they will still gladly converse with you. If you decide to pull the trigger they will work with you until it is perfect.

Gumbo

WKR
I have packed and seen a lot of animals packed with MR packs on the NICE and Guide Light frames. I feel that they compress significantly under very heavy loads (80+), which changes posture considerbly and makes them uncomfortable. Same with my limited experience with SG (I had a Krux for one trip and tried the new frames in Bozeman fitted for me by Pete under 60ish pounds). The Kifaru Hunter frame is way more rigid and comfortable for me under 80+ loads, allowing me to maintain a solid, upright hiking posture. But I also ran an eberlestock for a number of years and difference between it and the MR is far greater than the difference between the MR and Kifaru, at least with the lifter kit. In other words, the Eberlestock sucks bad and MR/Kifaru are both WAY better. But the only way to know what you will like, unfortunately, is the expensive proposition to try them all.

I think they are really close the only one I have used is the EXO it was the one I could try on I would of like to try on all of them but that's how it works out. I like my EXO but I can't say it the best but it the best for me.

Pack choice really comes down to personal preference based on fit and comfort. If you're looking to buy any of these packs, Rokslide is the perfect place to reach out to the community and try to locate someone in your area that has a pack from one of these manufacturers that would be willing to let you take it for a test run. I own a Kifaru and an Exo and a friend contacted me and asked if he could borrow my Exo for a week or two so that a buddy of his could try it out. I happily said yes, got it back two weeks later, and hopefully the guy that used it was able to make an informed decision in regards to buying a pack.

OP
BeaverHunter
Pack choice really comes down to personal preference based on fit and comfort. If you're looking to buy any of these packs, Rokslide is the perfect place to reach out to the community and try to locate someone in your area that has a pack from one of these manufacturers that would be willing to let you take it for a test run. I own a Kifaru and an Exo and a friend contacted me and asked if he could borrow my Exo for a week or two so that a buddy of his could try it out. I happily said yes, got it back two weeks later, and hopefully the guy that used it was able to make an informed decision in regards to buying a pack.
That's pretty cool of you

jmez

WKR
Not a bad idea, but he's a lot different size and shape than me so I don't know how it would fit. He lives 500 miles away and about the only time we see each other is hunting season. And I don't think he will swap me when were packing out a bull or buck.

Does he use it all year? Have him ship it to you, try it for a while and ship it back during the off season.