Are Mora knives pretty good?

Looking at grabbing a $25 MORA filet type knife to take along on trips for boning and meat clean-up. I am a bit of a knife snob and typically carry super steel knives that hold an edge. Hoping to find something that if it gets stolen or lost on trips it won't break my heart. How is the steel on the MORA? Thanks

hodgeman

WKR
Mora makes a very good knife, particularly at it's price point.

Mine don't hold an edge very well, but are easy to sharpen. I actually sort of prefer it to my more expensive knives. My Benchmade holds a great edge, but I'm hard pressed to actually be able to sharpen it...and definitely not in the field.

Wrench

WKR

Mine don't hold an edge very well, but are easy to sharpen. I actually sort of prefer it to my more expensive knives. My Benchmade holds a great edge, but I'm hard pressed to actually be able to sharpen it...and definitely not in the field.
I'll echo that. I ran the mora boning knife for 4-5 years and would steel it a couple times through an elk. My wife bought me the Henkel that I now use. I've been through 6-7 elk with it now and have yet to touch the edge. Mora is good... but for twice the money you can have an incredible knife. Neither will be a disappointment.

*zap*

WKR
I have a few, not bad. The light my fire mora's have a ferro rod built in. If I was getting one for backcountry that would be my choice...in orange.

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
I keep one for a backup knife in my truck. I have a couple others I take camping and one or two still in their box at home. It's nice to have some knives around that you don't have to worry about loosing or getting stolen and they get the job done.

Like others I have one in each vehicle for camp use and as a backup but they are what they are at their price point. For an affordable boning knife you can't beat a 6 inch Victorinox of your choice.

Michael54

WKR
Like others I have one in each vehicle for camp use and as a backup but they are what they are at their price point. For an affordable boning knife you can't beat a 6 inch Victorinox of your choice.
You can beat it with a 5 inch boning knife 🤣. A buddy of mine is a butcher and talked me into switching. I suffer from about 80% less finger knicks now.

grfox92

WKR
I did 2 antelope back to back, gutless quartered and into game bags without touching the blade. I deboned and separated 1/2 of one antelope before hitting the knife with a steel rod, and then proceeded to finish that antelope.

For how effortlessly they regain their edge with any kind of sharpener, I dont see myself buying a more expensive knife for its intended purpose anytime soon,

as an all around camp knife it seems to be pretty ok, but since you said you wanted it for boning and meat cleanup, you can get a dexter Russell boning knife for about $20 that would probably be better for that.

I keep a Mora on me whenever i am trapping or working around the ranch. Hasnt let me down. I have skinned many coyotes with it and boned deer and elk. The best knife is the one that you have on you! And for the price you can keep a few around. It kind of fits in along the same lines as cheap sunglasses, you can never lose them and they are always handy, but as soon as i buy expensive ones i end up breaking or losing them right away :/ haha

I'll echo that. I ran the mora boning knife for 4-5 years and would steel it a couple times through an elk. My wife bought me the Henkel that I now use. I've been through 6-7 elk with it now and have yet to touch the edge. Mora is good... but for twice the money you can have an incredible knife. Neither will be a disappointment.

These two said it perfectly! Mora's are easy to sharpen and easy to dull.....but they will absolutely get the job done.

Buck197

WKR

On the benchmade, That sv30 isn't the easiest to sharpen, some of the benchmade you can order with M4 steel, it sharpens alot easier and sharper, the corrosion is supposed to be worse but so far on this custom benchmade I'm hooked on the m4

You can beat it with a 5 inch boning knife . A buddy of mine is a butcher and talked me into switching. I suffer from about 80% less finger knicks now.

370e7c99d99cdb0a89d199d46322c009.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d03cf6b87589979e6639c013a6e99906.jpg

Maybe I need to switch from a 6” voctorinox boning to a 5”. Mine got me this year. Prolly needed stitches bc it was to the joint but I used super glue. Lol

Michael54

WKR
370e7c99d99cdb0a89d199d46322c009.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d03cf6b87589979e6639c013a6e99906.jpg

Maybe I need to switch from a 6” voctorinox boning to a 5”. Mine got me this year. Prolly needed stitches bc it was to the joint but I used super glue. Lol
Yea i now keep all of my blood inside my body while boning out meat lol

Underandoverit

Lil-Rokslider
I've had some stupid expensive knives and for a fixed blade hunting/camping knife, they are tuff to beat. I'm kinda over the super steel's.