Are most OTC units like this?

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Part of the reason I moved to Idaho was to enjoy the vast public land and hunting opportunities. Rifle season turned into an absolute joke pretty quickly. Opening day sounds like a war zone and there is someone on every ridge. Campers and tents stack up like a circus. I can only imagine how pissed the born and raised locals are.

Archery was way better for a minute, but this year it seems like it’s turned into the same thing. It feels more like groups of hunters flushing game back and forth until someone gets lucky. Now that I've really gotten to know the unit(s) I hunt it seems like there is virtually no ground that isn't hit. I've hiked ridge to ridge over some really rough terrain and still find boot tracks in the middle between access points.

I cannot stand feeling like I'm hunting for a spot to myself more than hunting for actual game. Is this pretty typical or do I need to start figuring out another unit much further away? If I finally tag a bull the fact that 15 other hunters have been chasing him back and forth until I got the lucky chance shot kind of takes away from the experience of "hunting." I definitely don't want it to be easy and handed to me, but this seems more like luck than skill.

What do you consider normal pressure for OTC units for deer and elk? Are you hunting areas that only you are in, or do you expect to have company there? If you hike 10 miles across the mountains from the nearest access point are you surprised to find boot tracks there? Am I dreaming thinking that I should be able to do a day of hiking and no one else has been there in the last few days or week?

Here's a picture I made of one section of the unit(green boundary). The red dots and lines are just people I have seen(including myself and my route) in one single day. If that's what can be hit in one day I'm guessing that every draw has absolutely been hit and probably frequently. Is this normal? Or way too much pressure?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 5.36.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 5.36.42 PM.png
    342 KB · Views: 580
Some of the pressure is temporary. Hunting is a *cool* thing to do right now, especially western big game hunting with all the instatweet influencer clowns. It's a bubble that will eventually burst and numbers will go back down, some will find the passion for it and stay but as a flatlander myself anecdotally for every 5 guys that go out west only 1 will probably do it regularly and at least 2 of them will hate it so much they never go again.

From the flatlander perspective though I was kind of surprised what westerners consider "heavy pressure". I had a fella in CO tell me this year the mountain was un-huntable because there were 4 guys in every basin. Which, compared to someplace like Michigan where pressure means a treestand every 30ft and trucks backed up a 1/4 from the parking lot, that's nothing.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Just wait until inflation hits fully and stimulus checks run out. It’ll be a ghost town.
I didn't even think of the effect that may be having. I sure hope so...
...compared to someplace like Michigan where pressure means a treestand every 30ft and trucks backed up a 1/4 from the parking lot, that's nothing.
Wow. I would definitely not be hunting if it was that bad. Hunting appeals to me by going out into the wilderness/back country and using skill to locate animals and stalk them... not...whatever that is.

I didn't even think of the effect that may be having. I sure hope so...

Wow. I would definitely not be hunting if it was that bad. Hunting appeals to me by going out into the wilderness/back country and using skill to locate animals and stalk them... not...whatever that is.
Your not going to get any sympathy from us guys back east. Come hunt PA once. You will earn everything you get.

"Hunting appeals to me by going out into the wilderness/back country and using skill to locate animals and stalk them" Then go do it. If you want it easy pay to hunt private land.

Poser

WKR
Some of the pressure is temporary. Hunting is a *cool* thing to do right now, especially western big game hunting with all the instatweet influencer clowns. It's a bubble that will eventually burst and numbers will go back down, some will find the passion for it and stay but as a flatlander myself anecdotally for every 5 guys that go out west only 1 will probably do it regularly and at least 2 of them will hate it so much they never go again.

From the flatlander perspective though I was kind of surprised what westerners consider "heavy pressure". I had a fella in CO tell me this year the mountain was un-huntable because there were 4 guys in every basin. Which, compared to someplace like Michigan where pressure means a treestand every 30ft and trucks backed up a 1/4 from the parking lot, that's nothing.

Yeah, but put that on a scale of fair comparison. MI has 15-20 deer per square mile with many deer roaming no more than a few miles in their life. CO is many miles per elk and the elk can move 100s of miles annually.

FLATHEAD

WKR
It's getting like that everywhere.
Down here on Mobile Bay the Teal season has been open
a couple weeks. I have never seen so many mud boats at
the boat ramp DURING THE WEEK as I have the past few.
Do people not work anymore?

It's getting like that everywhere.
Down here on Mobile Bay the Teal season has been open
a couple weeks. I have never seen so many mud boats at
the boat ramp DURING THE WEEK as I have the past few.
Do people not work anymore?
I've taken a couple meetings from the dove field now that I work from home. Running the mute button and the gun at the same time adds a new level of skill to the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

As previously mentioned, welcome to Idaho’s exploding population. It’s getting bad in a lot of areas. Hell go to Stanley and look along the Salmon River on the weekends. People are fishing on top of each other. A part of 27 was a shit show opening weekend of deer season and lots with California plates up there. Glad I was working and not hunting.

Flew into a part of unit 50 for work on Monday evening and came back out Wednesday morning and seen lots of people camped on top of each other and hunting on top of each other. Saw folks on horseback quite a few times a day as well.

There are places to get away from people in Idaho, but those are kept secret by many and some of those areas are very hard to get to and often underrated by many.