Are most OTC units like this?

TheTone

WKR
Hunter recruitment has been very successful to the point of hurting retention. One of my long time elk partners did not buy a tag this year largely due to crowding and decided to bird hunt this fall. I’ve spent more time this fall hiking in the dark via headlamp if for no other reason that going out of my way to be the first person to parking spots. Had multiple days of having people end up right on top of me that parked next to me. These have been small areas where you can basically guarantee “conflict” if multiple people park at the same access point

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Not looking for sympathy and as I said I don’t want it easy. If I wanted it easy I’d go sit on a log 500 yards from the main road like all of the overweight rifle hunters.

It sounds like this is sadly becoming the norm and ill either have to get used to it or do something else.

Going to look into Frank Church or somewhere there don’t allow motorized traffic. I’ll pack my shit with me and do however many miles it takes provided there is a place to do so.

Super tag

WKR
Yep it’s Idaho, used to be different but now there are so many more people that hunt. I have noticed more non res the past few years. As a local our favorite places are now the favorite places of many others as well, so we go back in deep where most people don’t want to go, haven’t seen a boot track yet, we bushwack far from any trail, too steep and rocky for horses, for the past two years have the place to ourselves.

Not looking for sympathy and as I said I don’t want it easy. If I wanted it easy I’d go sit on a log 500 yards from the main road like all of the overweight rifle hunters.

It sounds like this is sadly becoming the norm and ill either have to get used to it or do something else.

Going to look into Frank Church or somewhere there don’t allow motorized traffic. I’ll pack my shit with me and do however many miles it takes provided there is a place to do so.
I didn’t think you were looking for sympathy and it sounds like you are putting the effort in. This is my 2 cents and it is worth exactly that much.
The ever increasing population is here to stay and probably only going to get worse. Every one knows just about every knook and cranny due to Google earth and other mapping software. Folks just flat out have more expendable cash and more vacation time or flexible work schedules. Social media has played a huge role and continues to do so. If anyone had some romantic vision of having an Idaho otc unit or even a drainage strictly to their selves, they are going to be sorely disappointed.
Gear is lighter, more dependable and easier to find. Honestly, there are some diehard hunters out there and a lot of them will never be outhiked, outclimbed or outdone.
If you want some info on the Frank, send me a message.

cnelk

WKR
As if it’s news OTC units are busy.

C’mon man - it’s been documented for a long time and getting worse.

It’s up to you to adjust/adapt to the pressure to be successful

cnelk

WKR
Yeah your right...I have done both (for a good while) and hunting the west is way easier. How many time have hunted the eastern side of the country?

Hmmm. Let’s see….

Does 15 years hunting Midwest whitetails count?

My last PNY Whitetail was in 2003.

When was yours?

Hmmm. Let’s see….

Does 15 years hunting Midwest whitetails count?

My last PNY Whitetail was in 2003.

When was yours?

Not at all trying to fuel the pissing match, but midwest is different from Eastern.

I have P&Y whitetail and elk, P&Y WT from public in the east is no easy task.

Just different kind of hunts, I'm not going to say one is easier or harder, but I'll say neither are easy.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone should experience a opening day of rifle in PA, on public land, atleast once.

Although I will say it’s been getting better as boomers are giving it up and archery participation increases.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hunters quietly get it done and thrive on it letting others “hunters” do a lot of work for them. Change your perspective a little bit and adapt. Easy kills.

I'm not sure what the scale is on that map.. but holy crap..if your covering that much ground in one single day, you are the one flushing game back and forth. Some of your route lines don't even look possible based on the terrain. Personally I don't see it possible to cover 10 miles a day in "really tough terrain". You are either Cam Hanes or that terrain isn't really that tough. There are a lot of units that yes have some one or multiple people on every ridge hoping to get lucky. Your right it doesn't take a lot of skill and 90% of them either never see anything or never harvest anything. Then there are some units that don't have a crap tone of people people in them and the folks who work their tail off to get into those units earn their harvest.
People who have never hunted the East on opening day can't even fathem what it like to only be able to 100-200 yards around them and see 20 orange hats with in that same area. But you know if your seeing that many people you aren't going to be harvesting anything big bucks. Same as out west. If your seeing someone or multiple people on every ridge your not going to be harvesting any big bucks or elk.
Time to find some where new..I figured that out with in the first dew days of hunting Idaho..saw more people then bucks the few bucks I did see were forkys. Moved to a new spot and yes there are people there but hey I have still managed to harvest great bucks each year.

Wrench

WKR
Yup, this is what a typical Idaho otc hunt looks like now, even archery. Unfortunate, but reality. Wait until some you tubers make a video near the spots you spent years scouting and the video gets over 100,000 views. That is a sinking feeling…

You can thank guys like me who WILL NOT post a picture on the net. Pard had a guy pull the Metadata on a pic and hit his exact spot. Now with image search.....no way.