Are my backstraps toast?

Was recently on a Texas hog hunt. Brought home 4 pigs. Was a bit crunched for time so brought them to a butcher shop for some minimal processing. They ended up throwing all the straps into a freezer bag and stuck it in the freezer. Presumably tossed another bag on top. They all froze together and looks like they’re squashed. I’m going to slowly defrost them and seem if they puff back up and then wrap and re freeze. I know freezing them a second time isn’t ideal but I’m not sure what else to do. What do you think?
7e97ea2cd49e9714b4502aeb554e76f8.jpg

765aa2ab36cbc5a6b9d44400a9533a21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Invite some friends over and cook them all up.

Honestly, I would let them defrost just enough to separate them and then wrap and freeze.

I also wouldn’t use that processor again.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Meateater has a good podcast with a meat scientist and they answer the “Can I freeze thaw and refreeze” question.

Ultimately, the answer is yes. Is it ideal? No. Are you gonna get sick or die? No.

It’s more an issue of the water in the cells burst each time it goes through the freeze thaw freeze process. This can “degrade” the meat but it’s not a safety issue.

GWHunter

FNG
I think they would probably be okay as long as you thaw them slowly in a fridge. Like you would a whole turkey. Or you could season and rub that whole lump and put it in a roaster set to 200 with some apple juice and have a mighty good pulled pork.

OP
S
I think they would probably be okay as long as you thaw them slowly in a fridge. Like you would a whole turkey. Or you could season and rub that whole lump and put it in a roaster set to 200 with some apple juice and have a mighty good pulled pork.

Yea I’ve already got a few shoulders for that. Pork loin is a staple in this house so I was really looking forward to the wild variety.

4ester

WKR
The meat you buy at the grocery store has been frozen and thawed several times before you consume it. They are fine.

Tod osier

WKR
Was recently on a Texas hog hunt. Brought home 4 pigs. Was a bit crunched for time so brought them to a butcher shop for some minimal processing. They ended up throwing all the straps into a freezer bag and stuck it in the freezer. Presumably tossed another bag on top. They all froze together and looks like they’re squashed. I’m going to slowly defrost them and seem if they puff back up and then wrap and re freeze. I know freezing them a second time isn’t ideal but I’m not sure what else to do. What do you think?

I'm having a hard time seeing what is there. I can't see how that could be backstraps from 4 hogs. Far too little meat unless the hogs were very small. It also looks like different cuts since it is different colors.

Thaw and refreeze is fine with a small loss in quality as has been said

OP
S

Honestly, I would let them defrost just enough to separate them and then wrap and freeze.

They were literally the only one within 30 miles who would do pigs and not just grind it all. If I go back there next year I definitely won’t have them freeze anything and make sure they label it all cuz I kinda had to guess. I’ve only butchered one deer so I was little lost with the pigs.

Also, I’m not worried about getting sick from refreezing. Just don’t wanna ruin the meat.

Tod osier

WKR
They were literally the only one within 30 miles who would do pigs and not just grind it all. If I go back there next year I definitely won’t have them freeze anything and make sure they label it all cuz I kinda had to guess. I’ve only butchered one deer so I was little lost with the pigs.

Also, I’m not worried about getting sick from refreezing. Just don’t wanna ruin the meat.

Just learn as you go. Thaw it enough to pull it apart and see what you have.

rclouse79

WKR

This was my first thought. I would make a giant feast and freeze any leftover cooked meat.

I’d just defrost in the fridge and repackage if you don’t want to cook it all at once. I’ve done it before and was fine. I couldn’t imagine you’d notice the difference. I’ve bought meat plenty of times in the store that was half defrosted and just refreeze it if it’s something I’m buying for later.

Thawing enough to pull them apart, wrap, and refreezing should be fine. While you're at it throw one on the smoker!

OP
S
I'm having a hard time seeing what is there. I can't see how that could be backstraps from 4 hogs. Far too little meat unless the hogs were very small. It also looks like different cuts since it is different colors.

Thaw and refreeze is fine with a small loss in quality as has been said

Biggest one was maybe 150 pounds

Cconrad94

FNG

Id say youll be fine as long as you thaw them in the sink in warm water or in the fridge. Separate and vacuum seal if you dont need it all at once

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Almost everything I kill goes straight into my chest freezer until I have time to pull it out, thaw it and process it. Never had a problem. That meat should be totally fine unless there was a hot spot that didn't get cold

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If the meat froze before day 3 post harvest you might notice the meat is tough, even the tendies. Cold shortening causes stiffening through muscle contraction which is irreversible. If it's tough meat you'll know why.