Are quilts the biggest load of crap ever? Emperor's new clothes?

BuckSnort

WKR
Like others have said, each have their own purpose. I won't use a quilt if it's predicted to get into the mid to low 20's. The sweet spot for quilts is when it's 30-60 degrees. I can regulate my temperature much better, have freedom to move and flop around and it packs much smaller.

Yep, same here..Thats my quilt comfort range as well..

They might be nice for warmer weather but I don’t camp much in warmer weather. I have zero interest in fiddling around and trying to stay warm with one in sub freezing temps again. “they are so much lighter” “you only got cold because you didn’t use a warmer/bigger/heavier pad, wear a hood or hooded puffy, or use a bivy to seal out drafts”...

It's a pain in ass,
All to save weight for me. And I'm losing interest to be honest.
But I have both.
Quilt in early season, lady uses the bag.
Once temps start dropping in the bag I go.
Early I usually carry camp every day.
Later season I move less and weigh is less a concern.
But one early season night I had that quilt all opened up and was sleeping like a baby.

I’ve tried a quilt a couple of different times and it’s just not for me. Super drafty and too much fiddling with it to sleep well. Crawl into my Slick Bag and pass out. One and done. Can’t see ever using a quilt for my needs but glad it’s on option for guys that need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Same...except selling them to Bruce. Spent a bad few nights in a 20F quilt that didn't keep me warm in September @ 10500ft.

I tried to go superlight with a 20 degree quilt and froze in the middle of July at 11k feet on my Xtherm pad. Sold it and now I use my 0 degree even in the summer.

And for Bigcountry, my Xtherm is 28" wide, get a wide or extra wide quilt and the size of the pads shouldn't be a problem. I use the straps under my pad, and I tuck both sides under the pad as well leaving enough room to spread out while I'm moving around in the middle of the night. But for anything past September, I'd be taking a bag.

I tried to go superlight with a 20 degree quilt and froze in the middle of July at 11k feet on my Xtherm pad. Sold it and now I use my 0 degree even in the summer.

And for Bigcountry, my Xtherm is 28" wide, get a wide or extra wide quilt and the size of the pads shouldn't be a problem. I use the straps under my pad, and I tuck both sides under the pad as well leaving enough room to spread out while I'm moving around in the middle of the night. But for anything past September, I'd be taking a bag.

Ya I agree here in Southern California I take my 0 degree Nemo sonic on everything past halloween but I think a 30 degree would be fine anytime before that

Ktex88

FNG
In cold weather, the best system I have found is to use two straps. The middle strap goes round the pad and then clips to the quilt. I then do not go around the pad with the upper strap - Just around your body and OVER the pad. I have a 20F EE enigma and have used this system to 10F with warmer mid layers and a beanie. Works great from me!

That's a great idea. I've contemplated getting rid of my EE 10F quilt because I have a wide pad and when the top strap is cinched it doesnt allow me to close up the gaps by my neck/shoulders. This will be the ticket and I appreciate you mentioning it.

Leroy91

FNG
I feel that they do have their place, but limit themselves more quickly than a hooded bag would in colder temps.

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
I used a quilt 20deg quilt in the upper 20s - low 30s a few times, cold all night. Will be using a bag in anything lower that 30.

TxxAgg

WKR
My quilt is warm but too drafty when I sleep on my sides. Just bought a new bag this year so I can finally get a good sleep without worrying about it

3morefor4

FNG
Quilt is the way to go for me unless it's extremely cold. I'm a restless sleeper and am constantly getting twisted up in mummy bags. Wear a beanie and sometimes a puffy which I'd have with me anyways.
Also great to wrap up in for those early morning glassing sessions.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

3morefor4

FNG
Quilts have totally changed my sleeping ability in the woods. Used to take Tylenol PM every night then would be groogy in the morning

Pro953

WKR
Interesting starting a thread knocking something you have never used? But I get your perspective. All of that said. 1lb is weight savings less 3-4 oz for a warm beanie/hat. (Which I would generally have with me anyway). Is a pretty decent weight drop. I do not think anyone would pitch a quilt 0 degree as a apples to apples comparison to a 0 degree bag. Different tool, different job.

All of that said, those of you that like your quilts, are you stripping down to under layers at night or keeping puffy layers on etc... in cold weather I have started to keep my puffy pants and puffy top on to run lighter sleeping gear. (Barring being sweaty from the day when I will peel layers off to dry out a bit). Curious how everyone else makes it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3morefor4

FNG
Changes every night for me. Usually in my underwear to start but have base layers close by as needed depending on temp and general comfort.

Jbake108

FNG
I’m very closed minded when it comes to quilts. I’ve never enjoyed sleeping with a small blanket and I have no problem sleeping in a sleeping bag so the trade off of a pound to the quality of sleep is not even a rational idea to me.