Are quilts the biggest load of crap ever? Emperor's new clothes?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use both the WM quilt and the WM Terralite .. the weight difference is 12 ounces and the temp rating is within a couple degrees . Both work , one is a little more fiddly . I often take the Terra and use it as a quilt so my dog has room under it . If it’s going to be below 30 often though I’ll take the terra and possibly add clothes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
I'm open to anything that works and saves weight...and cost.

That's perhaps an underrated difference with the quilts. It would have been father down on my list of upgrades/purchases to try out if I had to save $450-500 for a similar quality SG, WM, FF bag. With a minor black Friday discount, the quilt came in at around $300. In a sense, that's not much difference, but for my family, that was the difference between something I can drop into the monthly bills without too much worry and something I have to intentionally save up and plan for.

I will say, I was very afraid I was going to dislike the quilt concept, and felt very pleased to find it worked for me. So I don't believe I'm working under the cloud of a positive confirmation bias. I also could push the quilt a little farther, I believe, with a hooded fleece pulled over my head (in addition to the beanie) and putting a puffy on my feet or core as needed.

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t used the style of quilts being discussed but I have used a more standard cut blanket - the Kifaru Doobie - for several years.
Wife got me one for Christmas back in 2012 and I honestly use that item for all of my later spring to early fall camps. Used it for army biv-field kit as well (took up way less space and weight than a sleeping bag/plus you don’t get to sleep that much depending on the task). I could easily say 200-250 nights in that thing and really like it over a sleeping bag in the warm months.
No feeling of being constricted or tossing and turning in a bag to get twisted. That being said I go to a bag for mountain hunts or from about Sept20 ish until May.

mlgc20

WKR
I switched to a quilt several years ago and wish I had done it sooner. As an active sleeper, the quilt is significantly more comfortable than a mummy bag. I tried unzipping the mummy bag and using it like a quilt. And that helped a little. But, it was much better to use a quilt that was designed specifically to be a quilt. I bring my quilt even when I'm truck camping. Because it's not about saving weight (although that is a bonus). Maybe quilts are for you like water bladders are for me. I know a lot of guys seem to like them. But, I just don't get it. Whatever works for you.

OP
Mike Islander
Anyone switch from a rectangular, semi-rectangular, big mummy (like a badger) to a quilt? So far I believe it's only been mummy users making the switch.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Anyone switch from a rectangular, semi-rectangular, big mummy (like a badger) to a quilt? So far I believe it's only been mummy users making the switch.

I didn't necessarily switch, but for base camp I use a big heavy thick rectangular bag that weighs about 10 pounds and can fill up a duffel bag easily. It's comfortable as heck in most all conditions that I've used it in, but for carrying camp on my back all I'll use is my 2lb 0 degree down quilt.

ljalberta

WKR
So far nobody who runs a semi rectangular or roomy mummy like a badger has chimed in.

I have used and owned and rectangular bags, including two I still have. No experience with the Badger though. Roomy bags to me are more comfortable than narrow mummy bags. But I definitely still get a more comfortable sleep in a quilt. I'll only take a bag when I'm expecting the weather to regularly be below freezing overnight.

All of you guys that are using quilts are you attaching it to your pad I’d like to make the switch but I don’t think it would work because I use the klymit static V Lux and it is too wide at 30 inches

Poser

WKR
All of you guys that are using quilts are you attaching it to your pad I’d like to make the switch but I don’t think it would work because I use the klymit static V Lux and it is too wide at 30 inches

I attach it to the lad if it’s cold. If it’s “cool” I often just run the straps under my body.

ljalberta

WKR
30" is not too wide depending on the particular pad attachment system. I think it may work with Katabatic quilts for instance. As a matter of fact, I prefer a wider pad with a quilt, as I tend to sprawl more. In a bag, a 20" wide pad is fine though.

I switched to a quilt this year and I don’t think I could go back to a bag. 20 degree quilt with an ounce of extra fill and an xtherm pad, I’ve never slept better on the ground. I do typically sleep very warm but I’ve had this combo down to the high teens and stayed perfectly warm.

Challis

FNG
I have almost caved into the quilt idea a couple of times but just can't seem to spend the money without trying one first. Less weight is tempting.

gfreidy

WKR
I attach it to the lad if it’s cold. If it’s “cool” I often just run the straps under my body.
In cold weather, the best system I have found is to use two straps. The middle strap goes round the pad and then clips to the quilt. I then do not go around the pad with the upper strap - Just around your body and OVER the pad. I have a 20F EE enigma and have used this system to 10F with warmer mid layers and a beanie. Works great from me!

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, each have their own purpose. I won't use a quilt if it's predicted to get into the mid to low 20's. The sweet spot for quilts is when it's 30-60 degrees. I can regulate my temperature much better, have freedom to move and flop around and it packs much smaller.

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my feeling/answers to each of your issues as they were presented.

No hood. I've been carrying/using some sort of beanie on all my hunts now for probably close to 35 years and I've been sleeping with a beanie on my head now (as conditions dictate), for that same length of time. I use a warm hat a LOT when hunting and using it to sleep in is just another reason to have one on hand.

I keep all my stuff (pad, pillow, and quilt), inside a 4 oz. bivy so no need for any straps, etc. I would use the bivy even if I used a traditional bag because I use floorless shelters and like to keep my stuff clean and contained. The bivy also seems to keep things together so as I rarely have an issue with drafts.

My biggest issue with a traditional mummy bag is how confining they are. Regardless of how warm I am, I absolutely hate the feeling of being restricted and the quilt inside a bivy gives me much more wiggle room without binding up when I move around.

What bivy are you using?