Are single bevels ethical?

Hear me out on this...is it ethical to shoot single bevels with the lack of
Blood trail on a double lung hit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
And your evidence that they leave no blood trails would be...?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
With a solid double lung hit they will kill as fast as any other broadhead from what I've seen. As long as it delivers a quick clean kill then I would say that is ethical and they are very capable of that. Blood trails are based on to many factors that cant be controlled.

OP
B
And your evidence that they leave no blood trails would be...?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I shot a doe 3 years ago High entry and low deer density exit. There was basically no blood and there was snow on the ground

PNWGATOR

WKR
Lol

Go kill some stuff with single bevel heads...

They’re highly effective and perform exactly as a broad head should.

OP
B
Single bevels kill the just was shocked by the lack of the blood! The deer ran 100yards. Without snow and in different terrain-it coulda taken me hours to find her

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
No clue why a double-lung pass-through would not produce blood, but I would not focus on a single outcome. If you haven't already done so, I'd look up Dr. Ed Ashby and some of his archery studies, including lethality. The original studies can be pretty dense compared to the typical hunting industry glossy brochures, but they have some very interesting info - including a comparison of single vs. double bevel broad heads.

Stalker69

WKR
I shot single bevel heads for many years, of many different manufactures. As with any broad head, or bullet for that matter. You have to hit them In the right spot. That said, I have sense used many fixed and mech. heads and find no advantage to the single bevel heads. I find I very much prefer bigger holes, most single bevel heads are on the narrow side. The rotation of the single bevel I found no benefit what so ever, after shooting animals with wider cutting blades. And blood trails with the single bevel were no better then any other like sized holes produced with any narrow broad head. I Find three or four blade narrow cutting heads produced better blood, but not as good as big wide holes when the broadheads cut what they supposed to. Nothing wrong with single bevel heads I killed a lot if animals with them, but spent a lot of time tracking animals , that I believe with a wider head I would found must sooner, and easier, and failed to recover a few as well. As now that I shoot wide heads, my tracking jobs for the most ( if I do my part) are much shorter, and heavier blood on the ground helps with my recovering them. As far as unethical, I am not sure what your getting at, it’s up to us to make the shot count. And take only shots that we should be taking.

Last edited:
I shot single bevel heads for many years, of many different manufactures. As with any broad head, or bullet for that matter. You have to hit them In the right spot. That said, I have sense used many fixed and mech. heads and find no advantage to the single bevel heads. I find I very much prefer bigger holes, most single bevel heads are on the narrow side. The rotation of the single bevel I found no benefit what so ever, after shooting animals with wider cutting blades. And blood trails with the single bevel were no better then any other like sized holes produced with any narrow broad head. I Find three or four blade narrow cutting heads produced better blood, but not as good as big wide holes when the broadheads cut what they supposed to. Nothing wrong with single bevel heads I killed a lot if animals with them, but spent a lot of time tracking animals , that I believe with a wider head I would found must sooner, and easier, and failed to recover a few as well. As now that I shoot wide heads, my tracking jobs for the most ( if I do my part) are much shorter, and heavier blood on the ground helps with recovering them.
How wide? Which head?

I don't think there is a lick of difference between a sharp double bevel verses a sharp single bevel all other things being equal. FWIW I was never too swayed by Ed Ashby's studies either for that matter. Pick whichever you sharpen the best and shoots well for you. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

lif

WKR
Yes. Single bevel broad heads are extremely unethical. What other problems can I help you solve?

Stalker69

WKR
Wildwiderness, Single bevels i shot that I recall right off the top of my head. Strickland, kudu, grizzly Masai ,abower bone head, cutthroats, tuff heads are some of them. Now I shoot german kenetics the majority of the time XL and XXL. Mech that I still use, hypo, trypan, spit fire I used grim reapers but haven’t for a while, I did have an issue with a couple of there heads( white tail specials, and carni four) There’s a ton of heads that work, it’s just a matter of what want and you have confidence in.

Last edited: