Are straight fletched arrows still a thing? Asking because I just received some from a shop.

rob86jeep

WKR
I just got some new arrows and after I got them home and looked at them closer, it looks like their straight fletched (no offset, no helical). It's been a while since I've been heavily into archery (and never really got into arrow specifics much before anyways) but this seemed a little odd as I thought it was the norm to put a decent amount of offset into the fletchings.

I only got 6 arrows for now just to get started shooting again, but plan to get some equipment and set them up myself soon so it's not really a big deal now if they don't fly well with my fixed blade heads. I'm just kind of curious what the norm is.

MattB

WKR
Not really, probably fine for field points, but you will want offset or better yet helical for broadheads.

Zac

WKR
I'm guessing they were factory fletched Blazers or some other two inch type vane. They are actually a 1 degree offset. This can be difficult to tell just by looking at them. It's not the most ideal, however you will probably not be able to tell the difference. People have been shooting factory fletched arrows for quite a while now.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
They're not factory fletched, the person at the shop fletched them. I haven't had a chance to any further than 20 yards yet or shoot broad heads, I was just kind of curious.

Zac

WKR
They're not factory fletched, the person at the shop fletched them. I haven't had a chance to any further than 20 yards yet or shoot broad heads, I was just kind of curious.
Are you shooting a Whisker Biscuit, or a similar type rest?

Zac

WKR
Whisker Biscuits are typically supposed to be shot with a straight fletch. I still think that there is some offset on your shafts. I would ask your shop. They are probably going to tell you 1 degree.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I had them look at my arrows and they said it looks like a slight offset, so you're probably right.

Zac

WKR
I think the reason alot of shops do this is due to how fast they can fletch with a slight offset. You really have to have your crap together to get 3 degrees on a Bitzenburger. I have to hold my clamp with one hand and try to smash the base of the vane with a a qtip simultaneously. That and you honestly don't need as much rotation with such a high profile vane. I really wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure they will work just fine.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
All my arrows are straight fletched, granted I am using firenock aerovane 3. IMO probably the most stable arrow flight i have ever had out of an arrow is due to those vanes. They rotate fast and I am super impressed with how stable the arrow flight is, even with broadheads on.

I've had good luck with blazers and setting them at 1.5 degree give or take offset, but I found them to be very loud. tried straight fletching blazers and they just wobbled out of the bow it seemed.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
All my arrows are straight fletched, granted I am using firenock aerovane 3. IMO probably the most stable arrow flight i have ever had out of an arrow is due to those vanes. They rotate fast and I am super impressed with how stable the arrow flight is, even with broadheads on.

I've had good luck with blazers and setting them at 1.5 degree give or take offset, but I found them to be very loud. tried straight fletching blazers and they just wobbled out of the bow it seemed.
Are you using just the Firenock jig or the vanes as well. That's a super sweet set up man I'm jealous.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Using both the firenock jig and vanes and nocks. sadly it was an expensive investment and probably overkill to be honest, I don't regret it at all, just not for everyone. My main reasoning was with thebitzenberger I purchased in March of this year, I could not get the fletching results I wanted and the quality is not the same as the old school one i had/sold when I stopped shooting many years back. .

on a side note, I decided to try out gorilla glue super glue (blue cap/impact rated) as I was growing tired of the lack of performance of many of the fletching glues out there. Must say I am very impressed with that glue and it will probably be my go to glue going forward.