Are Swarovski EL still a good buy

I have decided to make the plunge in alpha premium glass. I currently run a set of Leica Trinovid HD 10x42, they have served me well and love the binos. I am heavily looking into a setup of Swarovski 10x42 EL’s. My question is with the new NL pure line is it really worth buying EL’s anymore. I feel the 2,200 price range is something I can manage but not really willing to top the 3,000 mark. I understand with premium optics we get to a point of extremely diminished returns. I want to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.

handwerk

WKR
I'd say yes they are. Although my main binos are Geovids I also have Swaro EL SV 8.5x42's. I did for a short time own the NL 10x42's which are stunning in some ways, but I actually like the mechanics and handling of the EL's better, but I'm likely in the minority, I feel the Swaro EL SV's still offer an amazing view, are worth the money and I just didn't experience a big improvement in view with the NL's. Yes the FOV on the NL's is impressive but there are other factors to consider.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if you're set on buying new, but if you're fairly patient you can grab a nice set of used EL's for a steal right now. Check out Optica Exotica on YouTube. He did a good video comparing the NL vs EL. Also some videos mixing in Noctivids and Victory SFs. I went from 10x SLC's to a set of 8.5x EL's this year and don't regret it one bit. The view to the edge is amazing. That said, haven't personally looked through the NL's. Actually intentionally avoiding it at this point....don't need that kind of temptation. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Swarovski ELs, and SLC 15s are still akin to alien technology...and it's not as if Swarovski is no longer supporting EL software upgrades..the ELs still kick serious ass. The increased fov and ergos of the NLs are a nice improvement over the ELs. Lighter weight is also nice but isnt necessarily great for off hand stability. But clarity, color, edge to edge were not discernably different for me. The loss of NL eye relief (18mm vs 20mm), reports of glare/stray light concerns (check the bird forums), and the $1000 addition over the ELs are not small concerns. My thoughts are that now is the best time to buy some lightly used ELs and turn up some serious game.

wyosteve

WKR
I sold my 10x42 EL's and got the 12x42 NL's. To me there is a slight difference in the NL's view, but not enough to justify the $1000 difference. I did it because I wanted the 12x. If Swaro had a 12x42 EL I would have bought them.

BBob

WKR
I sold my 10x42 EL's and got the 12x42 NL's. To me there is a slight difference in the NL's view, but not enough to justify the $1000 difference. I did it because I wanted the 12x. If Swaro had a 12x42 EL I would have bought them.
Similar story here. I bought NL 12's for a specific purpose and not to replace my 10x. I kept my EL 10's and won't be selling or upgrading to NL 10's at this time. The NL's are fantastic but for me for a general use around the neck 10 the EL's are still damn good.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Shhh, but IMO, the older SLCs are still a good buy.

I may be using a pair of NEU’s Bc I can’t find anything that I think beats em in size, view, and egos

mi650

WKR
I've had 10x42 SLCs and ELs at the same time, and preferred the SLC.

I have the 12x42 NL Pure now, and they really are that much better. My only issue is 12x is too much for my woods, so I'm looking to go back to 10x of some flavor.

I have decided to make the plunge in alpha premium glass. I currently run a set of Leica Trinovid HD 10x42, they have served me well and love the binos. I am heavily looking into a setup of Swarovski 10x42 EL’s. My question is with the new NL pure line is it really worth buying EL’s anymore. I feel the 2,200 price range is something I can manage but not really willing to top the 3,000 mark. I understand with premium optics we get to a point of extremely diminished returns. I want to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.
the EL's are just as awesome as they were before the pures, you would be totally stoked with EL's, they are awesome glass regardless of what you compare them to

Bearsears

WKR
I just bought some 10x42 ELs off of a guy here a few weeks ago. To my understanding the biggest difference with the NL Pures is wider field of view with minor improvements if any to all the optical qualities. In my mind this is the best time ever to buy ELs with so many guys selling theirs to upgrade. Els have been the gold standard for along time and I dont think that's changed much. I have zero regrets getting into ELs and im not lusting for the NLs.

I also second what alot of guys have said, the slcs would be even cheaper if you can find a used pair and they are awesome also. Might even work better for alot of guys since the arent field flattened like ELs and NLs

HuntNTag

WKR
I have EL 10x42’s and I don’t even lose an ounce of sleep over the wonder of what it would be like to have NL’s.

You have to remember that EL’s were the bees knees as the best thing out there, ever. If NL’s weren’t created, EL’s would still (to this day) be the absolute best thing out there and their retail price was worth every penny. The clarity is pretty damn hard to even beat and if they were so amazing for years, they will be amazing in 20 years from now because that clarity doesn’t disappear and never will.

Get some used ones for a steal and you’ll feel even better about your future heirloom purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had 10x SLCs, 8.5 ELs 10x ELs, and 12x ELs. Long story as to how I ended up with all that glass, I’m really not crazy. I had settled on the 8.5s for everyday use and the 12s when hunting big country, requiring lots of glass time.

Compared a friends 8x NLs to my 8.5 ELs and decided to upgrade to NLs. Decided 10x NLs we’re the way to go as the field of view was exactly the same as the 8.5 ELs. Sold the 8.5s and 12s.

Now after having the NLs for a month I’m not sure I would have made the change if I had time to really compare. The extra magnification is nice but the field of view is exactly the same, and I am less steady with the NLs than I was with the 8.5 ELs

I guess my answer is, we’re really splitting hairs and the ELs are awesome glass. Not sure I’m gonna see anything with the Pures I wouldn’t have seen with ELs or SLCs.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had 10x SLCs, 8.5 ELs 10x ELs, and 12x ELs. Long story as to how I ended up with all that glass, I’m really not crazy. I had settled on the 8.5s for everyday use and the 12s when hunting big country, requiring lots of glass time.

Compared a friends 8x NLs to my 8.5 ELs and decided to upgrade to NLs. Decided 10x NLs we’re the way to go as the field of view was exactly the same as the 8.5 ELs. Sold the 8.5s and 12s.

Now after having the NLs for a month I’m not sure I would have made the change if I had time to really compare. The extra magnification is nice but the field of view is exactly the same, and I am less steady with the NLs than I was with the 8.5 ELs

I guess my answer is, we’re really splitting hairs and the ELs are awesome glass. Not sure I’m gonna see anything with the Pures I wouldn’t have seen with ELs or SLCs.

The all-round useability of the 8.5 EL is a standout. For me its having one bino doing a wide range of jobs effectively. Close up - longer range on tripod, poor light etc. An NL eyecup made them even better.
Small incremental differences between models that cant actually be analysed unless an individual has them side by side in a range of conditions.
Cant go far wrong with either.

sako4me

FNG
I have the Trinovid 10x40hds and 8.5x42 ELs and while the Trinovids are good, the ELs are sharper and have you will focus them less. The Leicas are finicky compared to the ELs and you will focus the the Swarovskis less while glassing. I prefer the ELs. ELs are still top notch.