Are the books worth it?

DAdams

FNG
I’ve loved mule deer for as long as I can remember. I have started hunting more seriously the last two years and have been successful with good bucks in units with only 15-20% success rates.
But I want to improve and I want to shoot bucks that are above that 150” mark and I want to get some opinions.
Is it a wise investment to buy all of these books on hunting big bucks? Or is there enough info on the web to get what I’m looking for to improve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knowing nothing about you, you experience level and where you hunt I cannot even begin to provide an answer

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve loved mule deer for as long as I can remember. I have started hunting more seriously the last two years and have been successful with good bucks in units with only 15-20% success rates.
But I want to improve and I want to shoot bucks that are above that 150” mark and I want to get some opinions.
Is it a wise investment to buy all of these books on hunting big bucks? Or is there enough info on the web to get what I’m looking for to improve?

If you're strapped for cash you can learn a lot from podcasts and the Rokblog. Robbie has a ton of articles about big buck hunting on there for free. There is good information in books too that I feel has been worth the investment. Honestly if you want to kill bigger bucks just don't shoot a small one and keep hunting is the absolute most basic way to get it done.

OP
DAdams

DAdams

FNG
If you're strapped for cash you can learn a lot from podcasts and the Rokblog. Robbie has a ton of articles about big buck hunting on there for free. There is good information in books too that I feel has been worth the investment. Honestly if you want to kill bigger bucks just don't shoot a small one and keep hunting is the absolute most basic way to get it done.

I agree that’s sound advice. It takes self control for me to pass on the next 140-150 buck I see. Thanks for the advice

Jmoore

FNG
I have the book by Mr. Denning and it's a good read, but nothing beats boots on the ground and trigger restraint. JMO

Buck197

WKR
Robbys book is amazing. But as that gentleman said, boots on the ground. The more time you're around them the wiser you will become. I used to be really big in the off season, and while scouting on hunting them with a camera, something I intend to start doing again. Go and hunt them, a ton, even without a rifle, just to learn where they are, what they do and everything you can.
Think about whatever you do for work, the books help tremendously, but the best experience is always hands on.

Robby’s book was well worth the read and has some great tips. As previously stated nothing is better then boots on the ground and lots of time! Although not everybody has time to be in the mountains near as much as they want. I would totally recommend Robbys book in that it will provide you in a direction for your next outing.

BBob

WKR
Off the top of my head I think the Denning and Wintch books are the most worthy. It’s been a number of years since I read them but I want to say the Eastman’s book was good and even though he’s been disgraced I remember the Darner book being fairly good.

I’d pass on the Zumbo and Adam’s books (yes I’ve read them).

OP
DAdams

DAdams

FNG
What are the cost of the books, 20-30 bucks?

Decades of deer hunting experience all right there prepared for you for dirt cheap. One scouting trip will cost you more in gas alone.

Great point!

Yep, start with The Legend’s book and go from there. The books from the Eastmans, Dwight Schuh and David Long are also great resources. Definitely changed my thought process on strategically chasing big deer.

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Robby's book. I have read it and learned a lot being very new to mule deer. He also gets into methods that most people don't associate with western hunting.

David Long’s book is good, Mike Eastman’s are good, I even enjoyed read Cameron Hanes’s couple of books. Just depends if you enjoy reading and learning from several different people and there views on hunting mule deer.
Matt

Maverick1

WKR
Knowledge is important. (Some great sources listed above.). Experience is important, too.

And so is where you hunt. If you are hunting in an area where there is a low probability of holding bucks above that 150” mark you said you are looking for, then all the knowledge and experience are kind of irrelevant. Sure, it can be done, but you can’t shoot what isn’t there! Consider a review of the areas you are hunting as part of your process.

ianpadron

WKR

After reading Robby's and Dave Long's books, I started seeing waaayyyy more bucks, particularly big bucks.

Worth the price of admission if they were 100x the price.

gburk

WKR
I bought valerius geists mule deer book after hearing Steven rinella refer to it several times. Very interesting theories, some things that make you go hmmm, but despite the unprovability of many of the ideas (or maybe just the lack of proof presented?) I found it educational. Would recommend.
robbys is on my list