Are the books worth it?

Rich M

WKR
I read a couple books including Eastman and longs books. Not sure if they helped me or not.

Lot worse things you can do than read a book. Lotsa info at your fingertips.

I think you just need to not shoot the next 140 you see and wait for a bigger one. Pretty much how I see it.

Reactions: WCB
David Long Public Land Muleys, Valerius Geist Mule Deer Country are two of the best. of couse reading helps! study all you can. i have every book i know of on mule deer. i just love reading about them and different perspectives/experience on hunting them. I have learned from each of them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you keep pulling the trigger on 140-150 bucks, there aren't any hunting books that can help you. If you take the information in the books, put yourself in big buck country and shoot the first 3-4 year old buck you see, then you have to accept that responsibility.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dhoshauer

FNG
Anytime you have a chance to learn something new it's worth it. Even if it's just one tip, You never know what extra trick you'll be able to apply on your next hunt. Sometimes it's nice just having different perspectives from other great hunters.

WCB

WKR
To shoot bigger than 150s you have to #1 be where they are, #2 not shoot the 150s, and #3 put in time. Not that I don't recommend reading the books as I've read a bunch but I have found a ton of guys have read them and a ton of guys have heard the same advice on podcasts. And guess what you will find while hunting? The same bunch of guys hunting the same spots in the same way.

Maybe that is the best thing to learn from some of those books/podcast is knowing most guys will be doing that exact thing so do the opposite.

Nimrod62

FNG
You might check to see if your local library can borrow books voa inter library loan. I used to buy every hunting book that I could find, but I prefer now to read first and buy later if I find that it’s one that I will want to refer back to.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Books are indispensable. When you are in the field, don't become a victim of what you have read.

JamesD

FNG
David Long Public Land Muleys, Valerius Geist Mule Deer Country are two of the best. of couse reading helps! study all you can. i have every book i know of on mule deer. i just love reading about them and different perspectives/experience on hunting them. I have learned from each of them.
just ordered the David Long books, I listen to a ton of books and podcast, don't take the time for reading I used too, but looking forward to this one!

OP
DAdams

DAdams

FNG
I finished Denning’s book in 3 days, almost finished with Long’s, and after that going to read Eastmans.

So far the money was well worth it and has helped me identify a lot of things that I’ve experienced in the field and better understand what I would do differently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanish

WKR
I really enjoyed Hunting Open Country Mule Deer by Dwight Schuh.

I liked the book but have yet to find anywhere I can apply it. Open country seems like it was once overlooked and now is en vogue.

The timber strategies from Robbie's book lend themselves better to easier to obtain tags, imo.