Are there really any differences in the top brands?

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll admit, I’ve been a Sitka and/or Kryptek guy for years. Too many items to count (maybe 80 items, well over $10,000 in clothes alone). I’ve recently decided to update everything to replace items that don’t fit right, are worn out or that I don’t use. I’ve looked at Kuiu, First Lite, Sitka, Stone Glacier and Kryptek. I may consider Skre and Pnuma. Interestingly, I see very little difference in construction quality or attention to detail. The Altitude line from Kryptek is as well made as the most expensive pieces from Kuiu or Sitka. First Lite and Stone Glacier could easily be labeled Kuiu or Sitka and I wouldn’t know the difference based on quality. I have not tried Pnuma or Stone Glacier yet.

My question is: other than fit, features, colors/patterns and customer service, I think all the top brands are using similar materials with similar processes, resulting in great products. I don’t think there is much difference in quality anymore. That is a far cry from even 6-7 years go when product quality control was lacking.

if I’m right, and you agree they’re all making great stuff, if you could start over and build a system based on your needs, which company would you choose? why? Which companies if you would use lots (one benefit of a system is fit and layering where things like hip vents line up)? I’m likely to go qith First Lite bae layers and pants, Sitka insulation and Kryptek altitude rain gear. I’ll likely use Stoen Glacier puffys, bino harness and gaiters. I’ll stay with Darn Tough socks. I like the Sitka headgear and Outdoor Research gloves. But, maybe I’m mistaken and overlooking some Other company?

sndmn11

WKR
Yes, there are differences. I look for nylon, merino, and merino/nylon blends in thin pieces. For my preferences, only a pant or two from just a few brands would be considered. For instance, I'd wear Stone Glacier's Lite Dehavaland pant but not the regular. Same for jackets and tops.

Beyond materials, I think there are differences in pocket lay out, fit, "features", etc., between all. I don't think there are quality of construction differences between any.

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
We do Unbiased Reviews + Raffles on all of these brands and can honestly say that each have pieces we call "the best" and pieces that are lacking. For that reason, we recommend taking the best pieces from each and not sticking to a single brand.

As an example, First Lite Base Layers, KUIU Down, Stone Glacier Packs, Sitka Waterfowl / in the stand etc. Each recommended for different reasons and materials used not always being the biggest difference. The little stuff like weight, packability, fit, pocket layout, cuffs, hoods and others are often what separate them.

This is why we recommend "the best" specific item for the situation to our winners, and not a brand. I think you're right on track considering a system made up of all of those brands.

Last edited:
I think sitka is a little higher quality than first lite but their base layers and merino can't be beat. I just got two of the sitka merino long sleeve 1/4 zips. I really like their merino too but the zipper is annoying. I'll most likely wear first lite T-shirts and sitka everything else.

H80Hunter

WKR
I do like that Sitka has a repair center, though as a full disclosure I haven’t used it yet.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’ll admit, I’ve been a Sitka and/or Kryptek guy for years. Too many items to count (maybe 80 items, well over $10,000 in clothes alone).
o_O

Wow. I don't think I've spent $10k on all the clothes I've ever owned in my entire life......and I've been hunting for 40+ years. And that includes all clothes, even several dress suits. And some of those were custom, along with custom dress shirts.

But ya, I'd say there are definitely differences......even within the same company's offerings. I paid $20/piece for my favorite hunting pants and shirts. Haven't found anything I like better.

We do Unbiased Reviews + Raffles on all of these brands and can honestly say that each have pieces we call "the best" and pieces that are lacking. For that reason, we recommend taking the best pieces from each and not sticking to a single brand.

As an example, First Lite Base Layers, KUIU Down, Stone Glacier Packs, Sitka Waterfowl / in the stand etc. Each recommended for different reasons and materials used not always being the biggest difference. The little stuff like weight, packability, fit, pocket layout, cuffs, hoods and others are often what separate them.

This is why we recommend "the best" specific item for the situation to our winners, and not a brand. I think you're right on track considering a system made up of all of those brands.
This hits the nail on the head. 👍🏼 I do this. I run what works for me in my systems. FL merinos, Sitka jackets , hiking puffys, some good will sweaters, UA stuff, all the top pants. There’s a ton of great gear out there. Matching doesn’t matter. Warm,dry, cool and comfort is what I shoot for.

LostArra

WKR
I wasted too much $ while First Lite was figuring out their sizing and how to stitch clothing. No more for me, ever. As Pete Townsend once said "we won't be fooled again!"

Wouldn’t consider those “top” brands when considering hunting and hiking clothing. Maybe top price but not top quality.

Gotta pay fhe Pro Staff and their hunting video costs.

I've only started putting my system together and will probably end up mixing and matching some stuff. But as far as camo I am going to go with Kryptek. I have the valhalla pant, sonora hooded shirt, and dalibor jacket. Love each piece so far. The valhalla and sonora are pajama level comfortable. The reason I chose Kryptek is because I simply liked their pattern the best and the more I looked the more I liked the features. Also I get to support a veteran owned company, which is important to me. But there are pieces from other companies I will end up adding. Sitka's 3/4 puffy pants for example are genius. Don't know why other companies don't do that. Bottom line use what works for you and what you like. I highly doubt there is any kind of appreciable gap in quality between the top brands.

I’m a Kuiu and Patagonia fan for UL backcountry hunting but I also have Sitka for waterfowling and some First Lite. IMO First Lite is way over-rated (but at least it’s cheap.) Every piece of merino I have from FL has holes in it. Mix and match the best pieces.

Ledfordjl

Lil-Rokslider
I avoided brands like Sitka and Kuiu for quite some time. After finally giving their systems a shot, I’m sold. I’ve tried to cut costs and purchase some of the lesser known brands but the quality just isn’t there.

kpk

WKR
I paid $20/piece for my favorite hunting pants and shirts. Haven't found anything I like better.

Curious what those pieces are? I grabbed a couple pairs of the Gerry fleece lined active pants from Costco the other day for $20/pair and so far they seem great. I've had Kuiu guide pants for years but rarely ever wear them.

MTmt

FNG
IMHO, it depends a great deal on what features you value, and how you prioritize them. Weight, for example. Very important on a 10 day backpack hunt in higher elevations. Not that important for a day hunt on state ground pasture. As nice as it would be to have a full set from one manufacturer, that’s not the way to go. It takes a lot of trial and error, and returns. Hunting apparel has come a long way, relatively fast. That being said, if you don’t need very technical clothing for your style of hunting, then I would venture it’s not worth the money to you.

Buckhead

FNG
There is a difference. Especially in consideration of your hunting style. Tree stand, bowhunting specific, western, mountainous terrain, etc... I think Sitka stuff is well thought out, with unique design features and has the broadest product line. Sitka also sells through retail outlets, so it is possible to try clothing on. Big plus as certain garments are designed for layering and vary, best to confirm the fit.

I own stuff from Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, Kryptek, Under Armour and Pnuma. As for quality, they are pretty close. Sizing is the most frustrating issue for me. Even within brands. I am 6'3", 195 and find that I am large in some things, XL in others.

As I hunt whitetails in the Southeast, most of my gear is oriented towards that. I think the whitetail lines from First Lite and Sitka are superior. (Wear mostly Sitka). Deer hunting is my passion, I have a ton of stuff, a lot of redundancy in gear. Both brand wise & specific items, difference being camo patterns.

Am in my 60s. When I first started hunting, there weren't many choices. Used a lot of military surplus, then Treebark came along. Now there are countless options, never imagined spending this much on clothing. Worth it though, never been as warm, dry and comfortable as I am these days.