Are they good eating ?

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Sample size of 2 rutting bulls. Not recommended. After that talking to an Alaska born hunter, he said either a bull in velvet or a cow. In the rut, the bulls legit drink cow pee and their meat tastes like? You guessed it. Even cooking it smells like hot piss.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Not my first choice...moose gets that vote (year after year).

I've eaten some good Caribou over the years...especially winter hunts and ones taken early in the fall season. Bulls taken later in the season on fall hunts have consistently been least desirable for us...I typically can smell them as I walk up to the kill site...and unlike moose, that rutty smell with Caribou is IN the meat (not just on the hide as with moose)...we usually have "sausageified" late season fall Caribou bulls in the past...and avoid those late fall Caribou hunts now.

I’m a fan. I rank it up there with elk if taken care of in the field. Moose is better, but I would take caribou over mule deer.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot two a cow and a young bull. Both of those animals were tender and had a really good flavor. The bull that hangs on my wall that my father inlaw killed the year before was not such fine tablefair.

Voyageur

WKR
Sample size of 2. A mid August bull and a very early September bull. Both were excellent.

Johnboy

WKR
I've heard varying reports about the timing of the funkification of bull meat. I'm hoping a mid-September Brooks bull will be untainted. With some luck, I'll know more about it this fall.

justmcg

FNG
2 bulls each shot early September in BC rank very high on my list of game animals for table fare. Flavour wasn't livery but just different than moose deer etc. Caribou roasts have been by far the tenderest game I have yet to try. Wife and kids get excited for Caribou roast dinner so that's good enough for me.

chucko

FNG
I have been hunting and eating caribou for well over 20 years and they are excellent eating I honestly believe the biggest problem is meat care as it begins with shot placement then butchering and aging . I have heard bad reports about caribou but mostly it comes back to meat care , too many times I have seen meat in bloody 1 week old game bags sitting on the ground at the airport . This is Alaska with all the planning that goes into hunting I encourage everyone to plan the same way with caring for their meat . It is really important if you are going to be in the field for a week that your shot placement is perfect . Blood shot meat spoils faster and taints everything. If you feel that you must pack your meat in game bags pull them off at first chance and rotate them . I personally never pack meat in game bags or even put it into game bags until after a few days but that is only if no bugs are around . Larry Bartlett has done a few videos on meat care and makes some of the best game bags around . The bottom line is yeah bull caribou in most of October or late September can be gross so Don't Shoot Them . Good luck and stay vigilant .

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Tried some from a friend and both the wife and I thought they were great tasting, not sure if different areas affect there taste but these were from Canada!!