Are they good eating ?

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
50/50 here.
Two barely edible.
Two absolutely wonderful.
Haha. That’s not much help.

i wouldnt mind trying someone's terribly tasting animal. I have yet to shoot something that hasnt tasted good (probably should knock on wood) but i also have no problem eating sea ducks and mergansers

Blasey

FNG
Love bowhunting hunting them during the last week of October. Lots of cold, lots of snow and no body else in site. They are just winding down from the rut, and the weather pushes them South. I've shot several with only one being REALLY gamey tasting. I prefer Moose over beef!

hodgeman

WKR
I've eaten a train car of them.... big bulls early in the season while in velvet or in the spring well after the rut. Cows and small bulls are good at any time.

A big bull during the rut? Yeah, hard pass.

TurboTec

FNG
I got a few hills in Canada during a winter hunt and the meat was good, albeit not as good as moose, but what is?

Early or late hunts likely end up with better meat quality.

I did a trespass fee type hunt with Mirage Outfitters but it was many years ago. It was a great adventure for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the answers here kind of surprise me! I grew up in Fairbanks, AK and we ate moose and caribou darn near nightly. My parents are still there and still do, while I’ve transitioned to Montana deer and elk. Just about my whole family prefers bou to moose, but apparently that’s just us. We shot old bulls, young bulls, cows, you name it, over a 25 year period. Can’t recall eating caribou that I would describe in a negative way. Just don’t overcook it!

valtteri

FNG
I live in Finland and over here, in Lapland they have been herding reindeer (domesticated caribou) since literally forever.

I’m no expert but I’m under the impression that they harvest the reindeer throughout the fall, from Sept to Nov, depending on the weather (cold drives them into groups and it’s easier to harvest them).

Reindeer is something they even have at schools for kids from time to time and I’d say every Finn has had reindeer at some point in their lives, probably a big percentage eats it annually. The most traditional reindeer dish is the sauteed reindeer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sautéed_reindeer).

I really like reindeer and perhaps one of the best dishes ever (from anything I’ver ever eaten) has been smoked reindeer tongue done in the Sami way. They still smoke reindeer meat in tipis in Lapland like they’ve done for centuries and that is absolutely delicious.

Reading the comments was the first time I ever even thought that someone would NOT like caribou/reindeer meat. 😃 Absolutely not trying to undermine anyone’s experiences, quite the contrary - it would be interesting to see if there’s a difference between caribou and reindeer meat taste. From what I understand, they are the same species, just the other one is wild and the other domesticated.

They sell reindeer in pretty much every supermarket over here, all this thinking about it got me hungry and I’m gonna go pick some up! 😊

Broomd

WKR
Excellent table fare, but as mentioned AVOID RUTTING BULLS. Completely inedible, even dogs won't touch it.
Alaska's wanton waste law requires that if you shoot it, you recover it.

valtteri

FNG
I live in Finland and over here, in Lapland they have been herding reindeer (domesticated caribou) since literally forever.

I’m no expert but I’m under the impression that they harvest the reindeer throughout the fall, from Sept to Nov, depending on the weather (cold drives them into groups and it’s easier to harvest them).

Reindeer is something they even have at schools for kids from time to time and I’d say every Finn has had reindeer at some point in their lives, probably a big percentage eats it annually. The most traditional reindeer dish is the sauteed reindeer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sautéed_reindeer).

I really like reindeer and perhaps one of the best dishes ever (from anything I’ver ever eaten) has been smoked reindeer tongue done in the Sami way. They still smoke reindeer meat in tipis in Lapland like they’ve done for centuries and that is absolutely delicious.

Reading the comments was the first time I ever even thought that someone would NOT like caribou/reindeer meat. 😃 Absolutely not trying to undermine anyone’s experiences, quite the contrary - it would be interesting to see if there’s a difference between caribou and reindeer meat taste. From what I understand, they are the same species, just the other one is wild and the other domesticated.

They sell reindeer in pretty much every supermarket over here, all this thinking about it got me hungry and I’m gonna go pick some up! 😊
Looked into the reindeer herding a bit more. It seems like they spare the big bulls for breeding and about 75% of the harvested reindeer are calfs born in the same year.

This might explain why the reindeer meat over here always taste so good.

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
i wouldnt mind trying someone's terribly tasting animal. I have yet to shoot something that hasnt tasted good (probably should knock on wood) but i also have no problem eating sea ducks and mergansers
Mergansers? 😂 wow. I have eaten 1 caribou I shot mid August it was excellent.

mod7rem

FNG
I’ve eaten quite a few northern BC caribou bulls and it’s easily one of my favorite wild meats. All the bulls we’ve had were killed in the first two weeks of sept.
I find that the meat at that time has a bit of fattyness to it that leaves a little bit of a film in your mouth. I haven’t noticed that with other wild ungulates.