Are Waterproof Packs Worth it?

Hi Everyone, I'd like to start this post off by first saying I know "waterproof" is often miss leading especially when discussing backpacks. What I'd like to know more about are your perspectives on whether "waterproof" backpacks, or packs made in Xpac material, are worth it compared to other packs on the market.

This last year I used a Seek Outside Peregrine and was sold from beginning on the Xpac material. This archery season I did find myself in some rain storms and I was happy with how the inside of my pack always stayed dry. However, being risk adverse, I still used dry bags to store my critical gear just in case me or the pack failed. I know that in the future I will always use dry bags since I feel like it's the smart thing to do considering the consequences of having a wet sleeping bag and spare cloths.

Finding the right pack to fit you and your body type is always discussed as a personal journey, which I'm considering experimenting a little more with. Looking at other packs on the market I get tied into the size, shape, and organization offered by brands such as Kifaru and Exo. Through your experience would you rather have the security of the Xpac bags or do you prefer what other bags have to offer?

Last edited:
I’ve got a seek outside manner and I really dig the waterproof material even though we don’t get much rain where I’m at.

this spring I was turkey hunting with it and the ground was wet. I’ve got so small belt pouches on it that are from another company and are just made of a canvas type material. It was amazing how quickly that material soaked up the water and got things inside the pouch wet, so when I got home I had to lay it all out to dry.

I wouldn’t say that a pack must be waterproof, but it’s been pretty nice so far. The xpac material is a little noisier than average when it’s cold out, but I haven’t found it to be much of an issue.

Just depends on your specific needs. I have a SO Fortress 6300. Seam sealed, it is pretty much a dry bag. I wouldn't want it any other way. But I hunt in a lot a wet conditions, and also often spend time with my pack bouncing around in the bottom of a zodiac.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't buy a pack made with waterproof material if it didn't fit well, but it is certainly a really nice feature. Trash bags are a pain (to me) and they can tear. A pack made with X-Pac, where no rain cover or trash bag are needed, can make backpacking that much simpler.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to SO packs that are used for backpacking (not hunting) that are XPac- I like the fact that they are very (very) water resistant (without sealing the seams they aren't truly water proof), the fabric is durable and still light. I still use dry bags for my sleeping bag/quilt and clothing, can't take chances there imo.

But for hunting I use SG packs, the Cordura is not water proof and not as light, but very durable- I'm constantly getting it hung up on sharp branches, stops, etc with no ill effects. The Cordura is also quieter, which for hunting has obvious advantages.

Cordura also soaks up water, adding to the weight- not so with XPac.

Both have their advantages, both have disadvantages.

Almost all my backpack hunts are in rain or wet snow and wet gear is a major concern on my hunts. I’ve used a couple different packs, currently SG, and they all seem to perform about the same. The waterproof coating on the fabric (almost all packs have it) stops most of the wet but the seams (unsealed) slowly wet out until things start getting wet inside. This is usually day 2 of heavy rain.
I seam sealed the lid of my pack and one of the accessory pockets for my rangefinder. This sheds a lot of water and keeps loose items dry. I don’t want to seal the body of that pack for a few reasons. Instead I keep most of my gear in lightweight silnylon stuff sacks. They add a little weight but are handy for organizing in camp and they keep my gear dry in the tent. I also add silica packets to things I keep in my pack like my first aid kit (in ziplock) and my kill kit (SG load cell).
This approach has allowed me to use any pack I want in super wet conditions without a pack rain cover.

not a big deal to me, i used a peregrine for a good part of spring bear and rifle blacktail season here on the coast, i liked the peregrine bag a lot, but i didn't seam seal it, so it would get water inside, and after a couple rainy days, i would have to pull everything out and remove the water since it didn't seem to drain.

the frame didn't fit me well, all in all a great pack with tons of adjustability and modularity, but none of that matters when you have a heavy load to pack a long ways.

my EXO gets wet inside, but also drains the water that gets in there, so it's not much different in reality. i keep things dry i need dry, and let the rest roll in there... it works for me, and it rains a bunch here. if i ever got another x-pac bag, i would seam seal it, to make it waterproof, and for my personal needs, i think a couple drain grommets installed in the bottom would solve the issue i had

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's pretty easy to throw a rain cover over the pack if needed, I certainly wouldn't choose a pack solely based on how waterproof it is. I wasn't a fan of how noisy and stiff the Xpac is.

Jauwater

WKR
I have two main packs I'm using right now. One is a mix of 500D & 1000D Cordura w/ a DWR that does great for the most part at keeping the items in my bag dry. Even in light rain. Although, I've had this pack completely drenched, and as stated above, the weight change seemed significant. I also use dry bags to organize my gear. This particular time that my Cordura bag got drenched, that evening when removing the dry bags, all of the bags looked soaked from the outside. And even though the dry bags kept the items from getting soaked, the items in the dry bags were still affected by the overall amount of moisture. Not to were it was a real big deal or anything. It just felt like a mess at the time.
Cordura is quiet.

My other pack I've been using for the past month or more is a Seek Outside w/ Xpac. I feel it would take a major failure of the Xpac material to ever allow as much moisture into its main compartment as my Cordura bag did. I still use dry bags with that pack as well, because I'm eventually gonna be pulling things outta that pack, and if its rainy or wet, I still want those items protected until I can get them in a shelter or back in my pack. I still prefer my Cordura bag over my Xpac, but that's more about the overall packs then the fabrics. The Xpac fabric is loud. My Seek pack is way lighter then the Cordura, and I dont feel it sacrifices any load carry.

Overall I love both packs, and I plan to use each pack according to the climate. I haven't put the Xpac through the ringer yet. The Cordura pack has seen a lot of hard use, and it still looks new. I also now have a rain cover for my Cordura bag that I bring along when I'm using it over the Xpac, just in case.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I use a contractor trash bag to line my pack, this includes hunting in SE AK. I've not tried something like Seek Outside where the pack is basically a dry bag, I would like to try one, but don't consider it a necessity.

Hi Everyone, I'd like to start this post off by first saying I know "waterproof" is often miss leading especially when discussing backpacks. What I'd like to know more about are your perspectives on whether "waterproof" backpacks, or packs made in Xpac material, are worth it compared to other packs on the market.

This last year I used a Seek Outside Peregrine and was sold from beginning on the Xpac material. This archery season I did find myself in some rain storms and I was happy with how the inside of my pack always stayed dry. However, being risk adverse, I still used dry bags to store my critical gear just in case me or the pack failed. I know that in the future I will always use dry bags since I feel like it's the smart thing to do considering the consequences of having a wet sleeping bag and spare cloths.

Finding the right pack to fit you and your body type is always discussed as a personal journey, which I'm considering experimenting a little more with. Looking at other packs on the market I get tied into the size, shape, and organization offered by brands such as Kifaru and Exo. Through your experience would you rather have the security of the Xpac bags or do you prefer what other bags have to offer?

For me, durability of a pack is more important than "waterproofness;" I would rather have a pack made of tough 500D or 1000D cordura than a pack made of xpac. If there is a chance of rain, I protect my gear by placing everything inside a large contractor bag inside my pack.

Also, if I had a pack made of Xpac, I would worry too much about puncturing the fabric in the bush thus ruining the waterproofness of the pack.

With cordura, I have peace of mind knowing that if by chance (very low change) I puncture the pack, my gear will remain dry because it is protected inside the contractor bag.