Are you a bull hunter?

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
Watching the Born and Raised day by day again and I see they pass up all cows.

Are you a bull only hunter or are you a meat hunter?

Assume you have an either sex tag and not an EST and B tag.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
I am a hunter, like my forefathers. Never been into the whole trophy animal thing. Sure, I hunt the horny ones, but I also hunt the bald headed ones. Any big game animal is a trophy. Enjoy God's creation, hanging out with your hunting buddies and family, the thrill of the hunt, and the most delicious organic meat in the world!

FlyGuy

WKR
Depends a whole lot on the quality of the tag I’ve drawn, and maybe even more on just how late into the hunt I am when the choice presents itself.

You can’t cheat the mountain

jdmaxwell

WKR
Meat. I've burnt 4 Either sex tags so far on cows and will keep doing it when shot presents itself, but I've killed bulls too.
Just 1st good shot

Rich M

WKR
Depends on the tag I have - bull only means bull hunting, cow only means cow hunting, spike only means spike hunting, either sex means either sex. I will shoot the first legal animal I find in range.

OP
L

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
I am taking the first legal elk that I can get an ethical shot at. I have never killed an animal in the morning so that would be a nice surprise for me this year; cow or bull. I always seem to pack animals out at night...or over night!

GregB

WKR
Last year was my first archery hunt, I was in a antlered only unit, shot the first bull I called in just happened to be a decent 5 point. This year I'm going w/ a recurve in an any elk unit so it will be hard to pass up anything within range.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been only a bull hunter for 39 years.....back when cows were legal in my area the camp of 10 decades long meat hunters could not understand why first I passed on cows then later started passing on small bulls loooking for something better....just a different mindset and mentality to beat the body up more holding out in otc unit for something that I get to enjoy decades later......ate some tags thankfully not many for alongggggg stretch👍

Still haven't taken home a bull but have passed cows the last three years. Bulls only for me. We can get deer meat here with much less effort than backcountry archery elk hunting. Also, the cows are the ones that make more bulls.

mulecreek

FNG
With archery gear, its bulls only for me. Hunting during the rut is too much fun to end it on a cow. Bulls only for me on Gen tags in either sex units. If meat supply is running low I will pick up a cow tag, but with me, my wife and now two sons that are legal age to hunt and living in Wyo we don't run out of meat.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have no desire to shoot a cow or calf. Just like I don't shoot does here at home. If I "need" meat, I know where the grocery store is located.

CMF

WKR
I'm primarily a meat hunter for whitetail and between myself and kids put a few in the freezer every year. This year I have a NM ES Elk tag and only plan on taking a bull on this hunt unless I cross paths with a cow on the tenth day on the way back to the truck. I'd rather stay out hunting and chasing bugles than just fill the cooler and go home. It might be different in future years if I'm hunting otc or with others that have tags to fill.

My days of needing to impress anyone have long since passed

bucket

I take the first ethical shot available to me. I used to bull hunt early season and wait for a spike or cow but over the years I’ve learned to take what is presented, when it’s presented. I enjoy the hunt, especially calling, and I’ve got tons of friends who hunt and I can still go call for after I’ve harvested.