Are you a list kind of guy?

*zap*

WKR
Gear list per activity, place on clipboard with a hard plastic see thru overlay and use a sharpie to cross stuff off....wipe overlay clean when done.

ehuffaker

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am definitely a list guy. I find it very hard to plan a trip without a list and not leave anything that you needed behind. If you make a list it is much easier to think of items that you might need and it also helps you not to forget said items.

TheGDog

WKR
Experience from outings has shown me what I need to bring.

Experience from forgetting to pack things on outings... due to packing on the day of in the PM... has shown me that I must NOT pack on the day of. I ALWAYS want to load my pack the day before or even earlier, so I can be slow and methodical about it, not in a hurried rush.

Whenever I'm going to unload my pack to wash it, I have a specific Sterilite that I transfer all the contents into. I'm a visual thinker, so having a centralized place I can look into and see all the possible items I may want to put back into the pack helps me be reassured I haven't rushed and EFF'd up and forgot something I've going to need.

I've never forgotten anything I needed or wanted to bring since adopting this way of doing it.

Once I believe I'm done loading the pack... in my minds eye I visualize going over each different pocket of my pack and go over if I've loaded the things I expect to be in each different place in there. Doing this process when you're NOT RUSHED makes all the difference in the world. Since as adults and parents we end up having a cubic sh*t-ton of things constantly pingin' around in our minds that we have to not forget at any one time. So this process help to ensure nothing slips thru the cracks.

AND... I preload the truck the afternoon before. The only things I load-in the morning of are my pack, and the weapons, that's it. And the weapons and ammo are preloaded into their cases the day before in my office room, so I can't EFF it up. Optics are shoved into the pack so I can't EFF up and forget them. Any of the different sit solutions I may think I'll need I preload into the truck, again so I can't forget them. The YETI goes into the backseat in the PM the day before and all food and drink that's intended for cooler gets loaded as soon as sun is low enough heat isn't an issue.

I want to be responsible for as little thinking as possible at butt-thirty in the morning. Just Grab and Go.

Going out Solo every time it's vital you not mess up and forget stuff.

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I tried keeping every thing in my pack but I found after a few months, the burger was shit and the eggs, don't go there. Cheese was far too moldy and the fruit, I Think it was fruit, was not really there. Spam seemed OK but then how do really know when it comes to spam. I'll stick with the list.

Fatcamp

WKR
My one consistent list is what goes in my pack and bino harness. Same stuff every time, have multiple for rifle vs archery.

My wife though, she has a list with her now.

KP20129

FNG
I make a list prior to any hunting trip. I actually have a running list on my phone also. Everytime I think about something I need to do it goes on the list. Remove them as I finish them. I think it keeps me motivated to work on things I might push off as I cant stand having the list grow. Lol

CJohnson

WKR
I make a list for me and my hunting partners. One less thing to stress about once we hit the road. One of my hunting demands a stop at the nearest Walmart regardless of what he packed. I’m convinced he just likes to walk around and breathe the air in there in case he doesn’t make it back.

I'm sort-of-a list guy. My intentions are better than my implementation.

That said, there's a book for you listers - "The Checklist Manifesto"...

Wags

WKR
I have a couple friends like that. They are some of the best people I know. They will drop what they are doing to help anyone, give the shirt off their back to someone in need, and will make a make a whole room laugh with their personality.

My cousin is that way. He’s my #1 hunting partner but would forget his shoes if they weren’t tied on & gets lost walking to the bathroom. Love him to death & he’s as solid as they come in the field. Carrying extra stuff knowing he doesn’t have it makes me stronger I guess.

Maverick1

WKR
So, which one of you has started a list already, based on this thread, with a list of posters that use lists and those that do NOT use lists?

And, what have you titled your list?
The naughty and nice list, or
The prepared and unprepared list, or
The CRS (Can’t Remember $hit) list

?

KNOPHISH

FNG
I like lists cuz I can be forgetful sometimes. Most of my needed items stay in hunting pack and gloves and hat stay in coat pockets. But here’s the kicker, we usually don’t bounce our lists off each other and end up with double or triple of everything. A week long hunt we could stay a month.

bofishil

FNG
Had a good friend drive from central Illinois to mid Missouri for their opening day of deer bow season. he forgot his bow.

My lists serve the same function as this forum. They give me another hunting related thing to do in the off season. Also help me to not forget shit.

I'm a two lists guy. One for all the things I need for the trip and a second snivel gear list of things to secretly place in my partner's backpack. Just ask Bubblehide, he's found cans of double espresso, 10oz filet mignons and booze in his pack once we arrived at our camping spot. :)

Driver79

FNG
I am a CPA and lists are my spirit animal. I have an excel spreadsheet with 12 tabs that has everything from state logins to points to pack lists to intel in different states/units. It is so easy to forget things, so pack lists help me a lot.
A multi-tab spread sheet with everything in one file is a great idea!