Are you a list kind of guy?

bozeman

WKR
I am a 'list guy' and use them. I have a laminated list that I can check off with a dry erase marker and then clear it after all is packed......I have a 'big game' and 'waterfowl' laminated list.......yes, I am a nerd.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Pack weights 14.5# w/ tripod, spotter, kill kit, and essentials. Pack weights 32# with everything needed to camp, before food and water.

Don't know why people need to overcomplicate it.

Overcomplicate.....? Did you mean to respond to a workout thread? Adding weights to packs is usually a training thing.

This thread is discussing lists 🤷‍♂️

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Ha! The laminated list is definitely next level OCD! I'm not there yet-but man that make so much sense.....

WCB

WKR
Any body elses wife get mad when you go shopping with them and they try to get something not on their list and you put it back on the shelf.

Apparently I am the bad guy then when I grab something random and she ask "why do you get to grab things not on the list?"

My reply "I don't have a list"

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
I am a CPA and lists are my spirit animal. I have an excel spreadsheet with 12 tabs that has everything from state logins to points to pack lists to intel in different states/units. It is so easy to forget things, so pack lists help me a lot.
Fellow CPA here. Excel is one of my most important pieces of hunting gear.

Overcomplicate.....? Did you mean to respond to a workout thread? Adding weights to packs is usually a training thing.

This thread is discussing lists 🤷‍♂️
Someone mentioned lists with weights of everything etc. Seems like if a person has so much stuff they need a list for it, they might have too much stuff in their pack. But I'm not a forgetful person and I run a very minimal setup, so who knows.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had lists with weights but I change gear too much. Now I have a “feel” for if something is too heavy. I start with basics then add for the occasion and time of year. All my small items are sorted into ziplock bags and separated by item type. I don’t have to intermix depending on what I’m doing, either the bag goes or stays.

As long as he shares the scotch what’s the problem?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
All you with your excel sheets, I’m a real savage as I don’t know how to work a spreadsheet.

jwelders

FNG
I made it to my deer stand one evening with my binos, rattling horns, grunt tube, wind checker, knife, fanny pack full of drinks and snacks and other necessities and left my rifle in the truck. True story. I probably need a list.

Finch

WKR
I have lists saved on my computer and print when needed. Camping list, backpack hunting list, etc.

I also keep a "to do" list on my phone. God it feels good when you cross something off!

satchamo

WKR
I have a list that has everything on it I may need for what ever kind of trip I may go on. What actually gets packed depends on type of trip. One guy that goes with me, generally brings himself and that's about it. Then he's forever asking me for something. On one deer hunting trip he bought, rifle, four rounds of ammo, a brick go cheese, some crackers and a bottle of scotch. the last thing I do before I start the truck is, check my list. Like a firearm, it's better to have it and not need it ,then need it and not have it.

I have ADHD - I can’t survive without lists haha

dtrkyman

WKR
If I am going on a gear heavy trip, I pile all my chit in one spot where I have to step on it to get out the house!

RS3579

WKR
I write a new list for every trip. Sometimes it starts a month before I leave. Very rarely is something forgotten. I’m not much of a technology guy. I’d love to learn the spreadsheet thing. I’m sure I’d be great at it. Lol

Deadfall

WKR
My biggest problem is that I'm never exactly sure what I'm going to be doing or exactly where I'm going to be doing it at when hunting. Hunting from truck or from my back...
I just throw everything in the truck and away I go.
My bags are always packed as I'm in the woods atleast 2 days a week most of the year.

When I was guiding, boss always pick at me because I kept so much stuff in camp.

Then again it's all I think about 365 days year. Other then family and work it's all I do.
Drives mama nuts sometimes...

Also keeps us all outside

I don't think I have ever made a list in my life. I am rather Spartan food wise so I just grab random stuff that makes no sense but I survive just fine.

I verbally state my list right before I get in the truck to leave on a trip. IT goes as follows:
Gun/bow
ammo/arrows
licenses
knife
Binos
Rangefinder
Clothes/boots (maybe I forget something maybe not but whatever)

Besides that everything else is a bonus. I also basically just pickup my pack...If I don't like the weight I take something out I deem as not needed...but again I carry very little anyways. Things I forget the most are utensils but 99% of the time a stick will work just fine. Name a hunt and unless I just plain and simply don't own a piece of gear I will be packed and in my truck in 30minutes max and be just fine.

Now my wife she makes lists of lists and lists them in a list. annoying. Just like people that have planners and schedules for trips.

This is me too. I do have a gear list just so I remember what I have. Usually remember the essentials and say, anything else I can just buy. But to the OP it’s easy to get pegged as “that guy.” I went to SD for a goose hunt with a group of guys. Dummy me left my toiletry bag on the sink. List or no list I had no contacts. Luckily my buddy is an ophthalmologist and called me a script to Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I make lists all the time. Hunting, camping, vacation, groceries, hardware stores, etc. Nothing is saved on a computer. I just write everything down before I go and check it off when I pack. Some lists start months in advance! I have a terrible memory so I write things down when I think about them. I have forgotten my license, sleeping bag, pillow, sleeping pad, eating utensils, stove fuel, stove, boots, gloves, coat, shovel, jack, etc. I have forgotten more items over the years than I care to admit when I don’t make a list. 🤣

Fatcamp

WKR
LOL. I brought my list camping so I could organize my new pack. Only six weeks until we hunt.

KIMG3880.JPG