Are you guys sick of tipping?

Rob5589

WKR
Wife and I were just at a place that automatically adds 18%, had never seen that before. In the city of San Francisco there is an added "tax," not sure what else to call it, to help pay for medical benefits for the wait staff. It was an ordinance passed several years ago. So that, plus a tip, plus overpriced meals due to location.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
3 dollars? Aren’t waiters guaranteed at least minimum wage? In Colorado I think that’s 12-13 bucks.
sorry a bit of an exaggeration, but not much. quick google search says it's about $6 where I live. and $9.50 in CO. Many places it's literally $2... they are not guaranteed a full minimum wage as it's expected that tips will make up that difference between their paid wage and minimum wage. I get not tipping for take out, but have never been required to tip except for a large group (>6-8 people)

bozeman

WKR
I’ve tried to tip at least 30%, sometimes 50% this year purposely. If you can spend $1,000’s on gear, tags and travel, you can afford it. You never know what they are going thru. SMH………..

You guys sick of whining snowflake men who complain about tipping?

TSAMP

WKR
I dont get out much. So when I do i like to tip well. Cash always. I'll tip the minimum if poor service. Sometimes even zero.
It doesn't bother me, I've always had a job that when I'm working, so is everyone I deal with. To work in the service industry when everyone else is on vacation or out enjoying themselves while you work...well that would suck. So those people I tip.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Damn it and the sour kraut too!!
Good Kraut is a must. Home made is best. But you have to be very careful when making it, if it goes off in your house on a hot day the smell is something else. Ask me how I know. The wife ban making kraut in the house after that one.

Lowg08

WKR
My wife was a waitress for I believe 23 years. I met her when she was working at coyote ugly ft lauderdale. Most waitresses only make 2.75 to 4.50. Then tips. Depending on the restaurant they may have to split with other waitresses or tip out the food runners. So they are nice to you when they are having hard days or kids sick at home and many other things. My wife is now stay at home because we have been blessed at my job. She bases her tips off of the service and once or twice a year we leave a large tip when we feel it’s merited. We have been blessed early in our marriage when our first kid was just a baby. Trying to figure out a bill and she would get a big tip or have a good night. If you go to your job you expect an hourly wage. These waitresses/waiters put forth their best face even on the worst days. Smile at you and run around waiting on you. So think about if you go to work tomorrow. Your getting 3 bucks for each hour but the rest of your day is based on your performance in random peoples opinions.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 dollars? Aren’t waiters guaranteed at least minimum wage? In Colorado I think that’s 12-13 bucks.
Loop hole for positions that except tips, their minimum is $9.54. If you average their slow and busy times they probably still only come out to $12-13.

Lowg08

WKR
Loop hole for positions that except tips, their minimum is $9.54. If you average their slow and busy times they probably still only come out to $12-13.
I wonder how it varies by state. We are in NC and according to my wife who left the restaurant last year. Some places here are 2.75 but it can be higher but she was at 6.25 when she left. So I don’t know how it varies by restaurant and area

ODB

WKR
I don’t tip based on the fact a person chose to take a job that is dependent on tips. I tip very well for standout waiters, and much less to those who seem like they are owed it.

If you ask me if I want dessert before I have finished my entree, you are telling me to empty the table so someone else can sit there. You will be tipped much less if at all. I don’t like having a boot in my back when I am dropping 100$ on dinner.

Many people talk about Europe and no tipping etc. I can tell you factually that the worst waiter I had there far exceeds 95% of waiters here. They take the job seriously, not because they are chasing a tip, but because they take pride in their work as professionals.

They also don’t rush you out of the restaurant. I have stories…

Ucsdryder

WKR
Wasn’t aware! Thanks for the info. Seems like BS.

Lowg08

WKR
I don’t tip based on the fact a person chose to take a job that is dependent on tips. I tip very well for standout waiters, and much less to those who seem like they are owed it.

If you ask me if I want dessert before I have finished my entree, you are telling me to empty the table so someone else can sit there. You will be tipped much less if at all. I don’t like having a boot in my back when I am dropping 100$ on dinner.

Many people talk about Europe and no tipping etc. I can tell you factually that the worst waiter I had there far exceeds 95% of waiters here. They take the job seriously, not because they are chasing a tip, but because they take pride in their work as professionals.

They also don’t rush you out of the restaurant. I have stories…
My wife says one of the easiest ways to get a bad tip was to hover or seem like your pushing them like cattle.

Reactions: ODB

jayhawk

WKR
I don't mind tipping, but the system is kind of messed up. Especially if you work at a low-end restaurant.

Whenever I write in the tip, I put $0. Then tip in cash and tell the waiter/waitress "No taxes from this tip. Just pocket it"

What's crazy is that people (especially girls) nowadays can make more money from advertising on youtube and instagram than waiting tables. Oh well. Kids these days.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder how it varies by state. We are in NC and according to my wife who left the restaurant last year. Some places here are 2.75 but it can be higher but she was at 6.25 when she left. So I don’t know how it varies by restaurant and area
Sad thing is you need double that to share an apartment here. Just before covid hit a local coffee shop went to a no tip / pay everyone a salary of $55k and only raised prices by .50 cents a coffee.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Most people who have never worked in service industry have this mindset. In Utah it's $2.15 an hour which as someone else pointed out usually doesn't cover taxes. Getting a "paycheck" that reads $0.00 is the norm.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I don’t frequent many places that have an iPad or iPhone as a checkout. My mom was a waitress and all three of my girls worked at the local burger shop in town. When I go to that little burger shop, I like to leave the car hops a good tip. They work their butts off in the 100 degree summer heat and the 0 degree cold.
Whenever my wife and I go out to a regular restaurant or brewpub , we tip very generously, always in cash. If we had good service, we will always leave a note on the bill.