Are you guys sick of tipping?

Here's how I handle tipping...... When I sit down I lay the amount I intend to tip (Knowing about how much my check will be +- a few bucks ( normally 20%)) in $1.00 bills.. (It looks like a lot of cash when you lay it on the table...).. When the waitor/waitress comes to the table for the first time I inform them that their POTENTIAL tip is on the table in cash .. I also alert them that their tip is affected by the level of service they provide... If I have to wait for a refill on my coffee I take a $1 bill off the stack (making sure they see me do it).. Once they see that the "Tip" is in gratitude for their "outstanding" service the service level picks up and you'll find that they pay attention to you and that the "tip/gratuity" is/can be earned and is not a default $ number that they/the restaurant will get no matter the level of service... If they include a default tip I dispute the bill and ask for a manager.. Words mean something and gratuity means thanks for giving me great service and making my experience better than it would have been if you were not there for me.. Carry out is another issue.. In that case they have not provided any service that I should be "grateful" for.. All they have done is throw the food in a bag and taken my payment.. I understand that these workers are generally low paid, but workers in sit down establishments can make some pretty serious money if they are great at it and can earn tips.. I know restaurant workers who make $100+ per hour based on tips, especially if they are serving groups of 6 or more where tips are expected and alcohol is being served... If a group all pooled their cash and laid it on the table in $1 bills it would be a visual incentive for the table to get a high level of service.. If anyone in the group had an issue the amount deducted is a multiple of that one person.. When a waitor sees the potential earnings slipping away it gets their attention really quickly.. Once the "Tip" fund is empty there have been some real problems with service and a talk with the manager is in order..

Last edited:

hunt1up

WKR
I can't stand the new i-pad type systems or if I order from the local place online and it adds 15% just for pickup. The little coffee shop in town uses an i-pad, so you buy a $2 drink, they spin the i-pad around toward you and it has all my tip choices on there. Puts you on the spot and it's awkward. It's usually young kids working so I still throw them a buck or two.

Tipping in the traditional sense at a sitdown place, I generally give 20% as a benchmark and adjust up or down from there.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll pay 20% if they earned it, but I won't be "forced" into paying it. I won't eat in places that do that. It's bad enough when fast food places want $15 for a simple lunch that used to cost me $5 not that long ago. $15+ for burgers and fries........ridiculous.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
No dog in this fight, and am not as passionate about it as others. I do tip, always-except for horrible service at which point I won't eat or finish the meal anyway. If service is that bad, I won't sit there and take it. I get my family up and we roll.

I did want to point out-not all wait staff/bartender jobs are low paying going nowhere jobs. My old neighbors wife for example has made a career of this, and regularly pulls in several hundred dollars a night-usually a 6 hour shift. That's darn good money, especially cash. This isn't some super high end joint, a small farm town restaurant.

ColeKira

FNG
Here's how I handle tipping...... When I sit down I lay the amount I intend to tip (Knowing about how much my check will be +- a few bucks ( normally 20%)) in $1.00 bills.. (It looks like a lot of cash when you lay it on the table...).. When the waitor/waitress comes to the table for the first time I inform them that their POTENTIAL tip is on the table in cash .. I also alert them that their tip is affected by the level of service they provide... If I have to wait for a refill on my coffee I take a $1 bill off the stack (making sure they see me do it).. Once they see that the "Tip" is in gratitude for their "outstanding" service the service level picks up and you'll find that they pay attention to you and that the "tip/gratuity" is/can be earned and is not a default $ number that they/the restaurant will get no matter the level of service... If they include a default tip I dispute the bill and ask for a manager.. Words mean something and gratuity means thanks for giving me great service and making my experience better than it would have been if you were not there for me.. Carry out is another issue.. In that case they have not provided any service that I should be "grateful" for.. All they have done is throw the food in a bag and taken my payment.. I understand that these workers are generally low paid, but workers in sit down establishments can make some pretty serious money if they are great at it and can earn tips.. I know restaurant workers who make $100+ per hour based on tips, especially if they are serving groups of 6 or more where tips are expected and alcohol is being served... If a group all pooled their cash and laid it on the table in $1 bills it would be a visual incentive for the table to get a high level of service.. If anyone in the group had an issue the amount deducted is a multiple of that one person.. When a waitor sees the potential earnings slipping away it gets their attention really quickly.. Once the "Tip" fund is empty there have been some real problems with service and a talk with the manager is in order..
I'm not trying to be mean or funny, but you sound like a miserable Karen.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Here's how I handle tipping...... When I sit down I lay the amount I intend to tip (Knowing about how much my check will be +- a few bucks ( normally 20%)) in $1.00 bills.. (It looks like a lot of cash when you lay it on the table...).. When the waitor/waitress comes to the table for the first time I inform them that their POTENTIAL tip is on the table in cash .. I also alert them that their tip is affected by the level of service they provide... If I have to wait for a refill on my coffee I take a $1 bill off the stack (making sure they see me do it)..

Do you make them perform any tricks? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have to ask...do you seriously do this?

Here's how I handle tipping...... When I sit down I lay the amount I intend to tip (Knowing about how much my check will be +- a few bucks ( normally 20%)) in $1.00 bills.. (It looks like a lot of cash when you lay it on the table...).. When the waitor/waitress comes to the table for the first time I inform them that their POTENTIAL tip is on the table in cash .. I also alert them that their tip is affected by the level of service they provide... If I have to wait for a refill on my coffee I take a $1 bill off the stack (making sure they see me do it)..
Good lord. SMH
I really, really hope you don't do this.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When you think about it, you can put a price on exactly what the wait staff does. Is it worth $5 to have someone take your order, deliver your food, and hand you your drinks? IMO I'd rather do that myself for the 1 minute that all takes. Even if they did work for 5 actual minutes for you, that $5 would equate to $60/hour. If the bill is $100 and they're getting $20 on that, for the 5 minutes they spent on you they're making $240/hour. That's a little insane.

tony

WKR
GF lives in a high liberal college town. On of those that was terrified of the covid bug and is finally starting to come around…. A little.
Anyway when they finally started letting the population eat out again, many places wouldn’t give you an actual menu. You had to use your phone to look at a menu and even order. What a pain in the ass. I guess the covid monster was going to jump off the paper and get you! Call me crazy but, I actually try and use going out to eat as time to have a beer or 3 and bullshit with humans not stare at my phone.

One place actually had the balls to place the “tip” button before you could see your bill. Mind you I had to look at and order everything off my phone. “Tiffany“ majoring in gender studies just brought my food to me.
As mentioned I tip based on performance

GFs daughter worked at one of those sports bar type restaurants as a bartender / waiter.
She easily made a $1000.00 a week in tips off drunk fat guys trying to pick her up many weeks.

Dirtbag

WKR
I don't love tipping, and wish it would just be averaged into the bill itself but have accepted it as the American system and tip well. They are working a job I dont want to work and thats worth something to me.

people complain about tipping, then complain about how entry level jobs want higher minimum wages, complain about how these people can go get a different job if they dont like the pay and then complain when there is help wanted signs at every restaurant and the food is slow due to being short staffed.

TxxAgg

WKR
I'm a good tipper, but I hate that the system is set up for us to pay the wages. I'd rather pay more up front and be done with it.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider

Funny thats the exact strategy John Lithgow had on the sitcom 3rd Rock From the Sun.
Pretty hilarious.

I did want to point out-not all wait staff/bartender jobs are low paying going nowhere jobs. My old neighbors wife for example has made a career of this, and regularly pulls in several hundred dollars a night-usually a 6 hour shift. That's darn good money, especially cash. This isn't some super high end joint, a small farm town restaurant.
I have a number of friends who have chosen careers in the service industry.

They make plenty of money in fewer hours than a standard work week, doing something they enjoy, with a lot of flexibility.

tony

WKR
I'm a good tipper, but I hate that the system is set up for us to pay the wages. I'd rather pay more up front and be done with it.
There is a local place that is employee owned that does this they charge a little more and you don’t tip.
Weird thing is they seem to go through a lot of “owners” as we eat there a lot and it’s never the same people working.

Lowg08

WKR
Have you ever considered how much spit you have ate due to this lol. My wife says she has never spit on anyones food just too gross. she said it happens especially to rude or condescending customers.

WoodBow

WKR
I tend to tip 20% or more for sit down food but I absolutely hate the system. If you have to carry steaks to the table instead of chicken fingers, some how you deserve more money? I'd be fine with doing away with wait staff altogether. I prefer to order at a counter, carry my own food, and get my own refills.

I went to college with a guy that kept working at outback after we graduated because he was making better money than working in our field.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
Most people who have never worked in service industry have this mindset. In Utah it's $2.15 an hour which as someone else pointed out usually doesn't cover taxes. Getting a "paycheck" that reads $0.00 is the norm.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
One of my best friends in high school was a waitress. She made something like $2.10/hr at the time, late 90's. I've always been a really good tipper after that. I will say places like Subway, or the salad place that charges $45 for two salads asking me for 20% chaps my hide.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally think that all the rokslide moderators should be tipped.............after all, THE season is just around the corner.😉
And I approve this message.

Randy

I try not to eat out too much. I honestly prefer home cooking over restaurant. Last night I had a mule deer bottom round with my preferred Traeger rub smoked to 148 degrees topped with drizzled homemade Mongolian sauce. You can't get a meal of that quality in a restaurant. Phenomenal!

BUT....when I do eat out I usually tip between 10-20%. If someone takes the order, brings food, rarely checks in on us and drinks never get topped off I'm going 10%. In other words, they did the bare minimum, but weren't rude or anything.

If the service is stellar I'll go 20%.

If the service is good but not stellar and not bad I'll go 15%.

But I have tipped higher for non-stellar service when it's clear they are understaffed and my waiter is busting their ass, providing a great service considering the circumstances, and lets me know up front they are a little understaffed. If you watch them, under these circumstances, they are running around with their head cut off. I'm a sucker for 110% effort.