Are you guys sick of tipping?

mlgc20

WKR
Many people talk about Europe and no tipping etc. I can tell you factually that the worst waiter I had there far exceeds 95% of waiters here. They take the job seriously, not because they are chasing a tip, but because they take pride in their work as professionals.

They also don’t rush you out of the restaurant. I have stories…
This is 100% true. The European method is far superior. They just add the cost for staff and taxes into the price. What you see is what you pay. And the service is infinitely better with professional wait staff.

Slightly related, I was at an Italian restaurant in Paris a couple of years ago. Our waitress (from Moldova) was speaking to the owner in Italian. Me in English. My wife in French. The table next to us in Spanish. And another table in Russian. She said she also spoke German and Portuguese. I was very impressed.

BayouBen

FNG
Ever since COVID, I find most issues with service isn't due to the servers....it's low staffing issues. I take that into consideration and don't penalize the servers who have decided to show up and work.

JFK

WKR
Have you ever considered how much spit you have ate due to this lol. My wife says she has never spit on anyones food just too gross. she said it happens especially to rude or condescending customers.

I think this guy may have had more than spit on his food.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
You act like minimum wage is a livable wage.
You act like minimum wage is supposed to be a living wage, Minimum wage isn't to buy you a car, rent a house , feed a family, pay insurance on and on and on. It's a starting place for someone with no / minimal skills to make a couple bucks while bettering themselves to make a career out of something.

Sled

WKR
Here's how I handle tipping...... When I sit down I lay the amount I intend to tip (Knowing about how much my check will be +- a few bucks ( normally 20%)) in $1.00 bills.. (It looks like a lot of cash when you lay it on the table...).. When the waitor/waitress comes to the table for the first time I inform them that their POTENTIAL tip is on the table in cash .. I also alert them that their tip is affected by the level of service they provide... If I have to wait for a refill on my coffee I take a $1 bill off the stack (making sure they see me do it).. Once they see that the "Tip" is in gratitude for their "outstanding" service the service level picks up and you'll find that they pay attention to you and that the "tip/gratuity" is/can be earned and is not a default $ number that they/the restaurant will get no matter the level of service... If they include a default tip I dispute the bill and ask for a manager.. Words mean something and gratuity means thanks for giving me great service and making my experience better than it would have been if you were not there for me.. Carry out is another issue.. In that case they have not provided any service that I should be "grateful" for.. All they have done is throw the food in a bag and taken my payment.. I understand that these workers are generally low paid, but workers in sit down establishments can make some pretty serious money if they are great at it and can earn tips.. I know restaurant workers who make $100+ per hour based on tips, especially if they are serving groups of 6 or more where tips are expected and alcohol is being served... If a group all pooled their cash and laid it on the table in $1 bills it would be a visual incentive for the table to get a high level of service.. If anyone in the group had an issue the amount deducted is a multiple of that one person.. When a waitor sees the potential earnings slipping away it gets their attention really quickly.. Once the "Tip" fund is empty there have been some real problems with service and a talk with the manager is in order..

That's a table I'd tell to put your money away. I don't need a tip that bad. If they refused then I'd suggest another restaurant that would tolerate that kind of behavior. It'd be better for the customer too. I don't even want to tell you the kind of things you've had put in your meal over the years.

WCB

WKR
Cheap bastards, leave a few bucks in cash so the government doesn’t take their cut after cutting your boss and cutting you. If you’re eating out you can afford it. She probably drove 45 minutes and has kids at the house.
100%...my wife and I tip a small tip on the bill if we pay with a card. We then hand the waitress cash.

You act like minimum wage is supposed to be a living wage, Minimum wage isn't to buy you a car, rent a house , feed a family, pay insurance on and on and on. It's a starting place for someone with no / minimal skills to make a couple bucks while bettering themselves to make a career out of something.
Nope, I'm not.

For a large percentage of the service industry it's a career.

A career that a lot of people are unable and/or unwilling to do.

It's definitely not an easy job. Which means they should be compensated fairly. Not minimum wage.

Sled

WKR
Most ridiculous thing ever. Waiters and waitresses complaining that they only make 2.13/hour…..,so get a different ******* job and don’t agree to work for 2.13/hour. Ridiculous how the restaraunts expect customers to pay their employees for them.

I agree and did. Funny thing is that there's not many jobs an uneducated worker can put a few hours in and walk away with $300 cash. That was 20 years ago when 15% was the norm.

I agree and did. Funny thing is that there's not many jobs an uneducated worker can put a few hours in and walk away with $300 cash. That was 20 years ago when 15% was the norm.
I know people with master's degrees who elected to stay in the service industry after they graduated.

They're making well above a "good salary" mostly in cash, usually with significantly fewer hours than their degree field would require.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Waiters get paid $2.13 here in Georgia, so yeah I tip. Stupid system, but I can't fix it.

I do hate how everyone is asking for a tip these days. We played mini golf with the kids this summer and they wanted a tip. I couldn't believe it.

CorbLand

WKR
I try to tip at least enough to get the person to minimum wage regardless. I think the starting wage here is around 2.25 or something. If my wife and I are there for an hour, they are getting a 5 dollar tip regardless. I figure if minimum wage is paid because an employee has to do the bare minimum, if the waiter shows up and does the minimum that is what they should get paid.

I tip above that for great service but also take into account what is going on. I have watched waiters managed 15 plus tables on a busy night. It is impossible to keep that many people happy all at once. If the place looks short staffed, I take that into account.

I have always found it interesting to see how people treat other people in these jobs. We literally live in a society so successful that we pay significantly more money to eat at places because we are too lazy to cook and people treat those serving them like ******* peasants.

Last edited:
There are two basic types of tippers, those who tip well because they have relied on gratuities for their very survival at one time in their lives...and everyone else. You don't know what you don't know.

I try to tip at least enough to get the person to minimum wage regardless. I think the starting wage here is around 2.25 or something. If my wife and I are there for an hour, they are getting a 5 dollar tip regardless. I figure if minimum wage is paid because an employee has to do the bare minimum, if the waiter shows up and does the minimum that is what they should get paid.

I tip above that for great service but also take into account what is going on. I have watched waiters managed 15 plus tables on a busy night. It is impossible to keep that many people happy all at once. If the place looks short staffed, I take that into account.

I have always found it interesting to see how people treat other people in these jobs. We literally live a society so successful that we pay significantly more money to eat at places because we are too lazy to cook and people treat those serving them like ******* peasants.
I'd like to buy you a beer.

And tip whoever gets it for us generously.

There are two basic types of tippers, those who tip well because they have relied on gratuities for their very survival at one time in their lives...and everyone else. You don't know what you don't know.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all.

But I was always a decent tipper. But in my late 20s I had two (unnecessary) side jobs. One as a barista, one as a bartender.

I definitely tip much more generously now.

CorbLand

WKR
I'd like to buy you a beer.

And tip whoever gets it for us generously.
I took a hiatus from drinking at one point in my life but liked to go hang out at the bar with my friends. I would just drink water. One of the bar tenders was great, kept the water full and was always asking if they could get me anything. I gave her a tip when I left and one of the guys was like "all she did was bring you water...why would you tip her?" I responded with "I didn't realize that filling up a glass with water was that much easier than beer..."

Don't get me wrong, I have had some shit service and walked out without tipping. I don't feel bad if the person is particularly shitty at their job but they are not your ******* slave. I hope there is a special place in hell for those that treat people in the service industry like shit.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman