Are you guys sick of tipping?

Maverick1

WKR
I went out to eat last year, which doesn’t happen too often. The waitress stopped by and chatted for a bit throughout the course of the meal. Very pleasant woman. The total bill was $30 or so. I left her a $100 tip. The smile on her face was worth it.

MattB

WKR
So again, your belief is the only way with zero room for exceptions.

Must be nice living in a world where you never receive horrific service.
I am not sure what you are even talking about. Do you not believe that tipping is a conventional part of a waitperson’s salary?

The beauty of the tip system is you can tip 0% as a reflection of bad service. Build the would-be rip into the cost of the meal and it isn’t. Not tipping whether service is good or bad is just petty.

def90

WKR
I worked in restaurants years ago and I don’t mind tipping. I usually tip very well on great service. I agree that the automatic tips on tabs is bullshit though, the point of tips is to encourage good service.

For those that think labor should just be rolled up in the price of the meal and not have to tip just take a vacation to Europe some time. You’ll be lucky if you get out of a restaurant for lunch in under two hours and most of that time you will be sitting at your table with an empty glass, but hey you won’t have to leave a tip!

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
My in house tip decision process is: you start with a $5 tip or 30% whichever is larger. Every time my tea glass goes dry I deduct a percentage of that tip. There is a waitress in a little Cafe in Springtown that will never get a tip from me, even if she lives to 100.

I also write zero out on the receipt versus ¢0 so it cannot be changed, had that happen and drove the 2 hrs to the restaurant to confront the owner and waiter. Owner comped my meal and fired the waiter on the spot, been using the zero method since.

woods89

WKR
We don't eat out a lot but often when we do we have small children with us. I use 20% as a minimum, and it doesn't bother me a bit. There's more mess with kids, and you generally tie up a table longer.

I guess I kind of like performance being tied to earnings. It let's really motivated people set themselves apart.

LostArra

WKR
My brother is in the food business, is fairly demanding at a restaurant but pleasant and not an ass. He expects good service. He will sometimes put a sizeable tip on the table when first seated. Tells the waitress this is where we start, it can go up or down. He never gets bad service. (He also has a huge expense account and doesn't mind keeping a table for a while)

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
Laborers still make about double minimum wage. Or more.
I'm not disagreeing with or even commenting on anything else you've said related to the actual thread topic, but this statement is false. It's likely true where you live, it's not true across the board - not by a long shot. Laborers and tradesmen in many areas remain very much underpaid and underappreciated. I apologize for the derail, but that issue is a personal pet peeve.

49ereric

WKR
I'm not disagreeing with or even commenting on anything else you've said related to the actual thread topic, but this statement is false. It's likely true where you live, it's not true across the board - not by a long shot. Laborers and tradesmen in many areas remain very much underpaid and underappreciated. I apologize for the derail, but that issue is a personal pet peeve.
They should get a union job then.

Mojave

WKR
Australia does not have it figured out.

I lived there for 3 years 2010-2013 Nov-Nov.

Minimum wage in the Australian Capitol Territory was $20 AUD. A big mac meal was $12-13 AUD.

No one was paying $20 AUD because no one would actually come to work.

Every Australian I ever met made like $40-60 an hour.

So they could afford their 1500 square foot $650,000 AUD house and Ford Ranger for $85,000.

$100,000 AUD for an individual or $180,000 AUD for a family is considered to be poverty line in Australia.

I worked as a waiter for several years. Your paid my salary because somewhere along the line the restaurant industry decided they wouldn't. I made $2.13 per hour which usually didn't even cover the taxes I had to pay and credit card fees. Australia has it figured out. You pay for the food and the cost of labor is averaged in just like every other industry out there. When's the last time you tipped the guy at home Dep

sasquatch

WKR
Don’t you guys get it. It’s always the victims fault, they should do this or do that, or work here vs there etc etc.

There are way more people than jobs!!! It’s simple math, not everyone can just go get more.

If they paid workers more and charged more for the food most of you miserable bastards complaining about tipping would complain about the cost of the dinner!

I use to think hunters were all decent ppl, that thought is changing fast.

Yea theres a lot of scum that don’t try to do better, but there’s an equal amount of people that are trying hard and just don’t fall into the right gaps!! If I go out to eat and believe what I see is someone trying hard I am happy I can maybe make their day/life better by tipping appropriately

A lot of y’all sound like you would gripe about the cost of lemonade some 10 year olds may be selling on the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone else sick of automatic tips applied to the tab? I mean, I can understand a large group but man, one, two people min 20% included is absurd.

Anyways, like that scene from Resevoir dogs…..I can relate….. included tips means shit service more times than not.
I refuse to agree to any predetermined tip. For two reasons. First, I tip what I want. Often, much higher then 20%. Second, the tip is a derivative of performance. Performance I am the judge of. Not management.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I don't mind tipping - however, it is based on services rendered and attitude. The other factor taken into consideration, especially here in Oregon - are the base salaries for the area set by law such that tips are indeed additional and not really part of the adjusted salary due to low wage levels. There are also numerous dining establishments that put a tip in the price of goods - some advertise that fact on the menu; some don't.

JeffP_Or

WKR
A lot of y’all sound like you would gripe about the cost of lemonade some 10 year olds may be selling on the corner.
Have you seen some of the prices the corner stands are charging! :ROFLMAO: They have not been cheap - and it ain't supply chain issues!

OP
C
Disagree with it on principle all you want, but if you go to a restaurant where tipping is customary and don't leave a tip, you are a jackass, plain and simple.
No argument there, but getting charged 20 percent when you sit down? That’s bullshit.

dtrkyman

WKR
Used to eat in a small town diner often, same waitress was always there. Poor gal worked her but off and a bunch of cheap locals hung around and drank coffee leaving her change on the counter.

Always ordered the same breakfast and basically tipped her 100%, was cheap and she was pleasant.

Had been years since I had been in there, walked in with the wife and she came over with her typical smile and asked if I wanted the usual, was the last time I was in that place and I left her 20$ for a tip for a 20$ breakfast.

Tip according to the service and food received.

I work as a guide, very seasonal, crazy hours during season and a lot of time away from home, friends and family. Tips are much appreciated, however I wouldn't expect one if I was a sh-t guide!

Here, waiters at chain steakhouses make minimum wage starting out. In the evenings, these 150 seat restaurants probably turn 400-500 checks. Of which, a waitress at these establishments gets 25-30 checks. If the average check runs $60, that makes the average tip $12 on 20%. If they get to keep a 1/3 of the nights tips, that’s $80. Plus 6 hours at minimum wage.

$150/6 hours equals $25/hr.

While that isn’t holler at the heavens high, it ain’t poor either. So, spare all the shame. Waitresses make good money around here. So good, that many of the sit down establishments are staffed by college graduates that can’t afford to quit waitressing and get a job in the field in which they’ve graduated. From teachers to nurses.

I worked for tips in bars/restaurants through college.

Never did feel like anyone owned me a tip because my base wage was like $4/hr (min wage was $7.xx at the time) or feel like I was entitled to it. That said, it's been a customary part of dining out since I've been alive. I find it funny that people say "just pay your people a living wage".. Truth is a lot of restaurants fail and paying your whole service staff more than every other competing restaurant doesn't help.

Anyone who knows someone is working for $4/hr + tips that decides to stiff them and throw some justification like they are doing you a favor so you find something better or "it's the restaurants job to pay their employees" is quickly written off as someone grasping at straws to justify being an asshole.

At the end of the day, people relying on tips get by with the tips from considerate people to make up for the people stiffing them. I enjoy eating out and the idea of the people serving me not being miserable about it seems a whole lot better than it only being a job for the bottom of the barrel employees who cant bring themselves to find something better.

sasquatch

WKR
Have you seen some of the prices the corner stands are charging! :ROFLMAO: They have not been cheap - and it ain't supply chain issues!

If it’s $10 for a cup it’s worth it. If society would teach people there’s a reward for hard work maybe we wouldn’t be in the freeloader state we’re in.

I’d rather tip the waitress then pay her unemployment. Cost the same, but one comes with less production

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RS3579

WKR
If I go out for sit in service, I tip 20% minimum regardless of service. I give the benefit of the doubt. People have bad days. You might be there for their bad day. Not tipping minimum 20% is being cheap. I’m not telling anyone how to spend their wages, just suggesting. I still see you as a cheap jag off!